Z1 audio dropout during tape change at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 audio dropout during tape change

I have a VX2100 and a Z1U, and both cameras have the same behavior so I think it is intentional on Sony's part but I'm wondering if there's a workaround. I typically record straight to computer via firewire (DV-mode), and run a tape backup. On both cameras, when the tape transport mechanism is moving (opening or closing the tape door), no audio is sent through firewire. The audio levels meter also drops to nothing. So I get two sound dropouts of 3-4 seconds whenever I change tapes (one to open the tape door, one to close). I think this also happens when the heads park if I've stopped recording to tape for a few minutes but I'm still recording through firewire.

Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a way to turn off this "feature"? Most of the time I can work around it, but it really bugs me! I'd rather have audio that includes the tape mechanism movements than no audio at all!

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is standard behaviour for Sony HDV camcorders and is very annoying because, as you say , you cannot record direct-to-disk and change tapes without getting an audio droput.

I don't know for certain why this happens, but I would guess that the audio circuitry (and your ears) is protected from the power surge that occurs when the servo motors are activated to withdraw the tape from the head drum, which happens when you change tapes and when the camcorder is left on record-pause for more than a few minutes.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yep, this is an annoying "feature" which we all have to deal with...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I suspected as much but it was worth double-checking. Bummer!

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Hmmm. I am pretty sure the Z7 doesn't loose audio to the MRC1 when the tape mechanism is opened. And I would doubt that the models that are supposed to be compatible with the MRC1 would loose audio. Otherwise the "relay" record feature would be useless. I realize that the Z7 and Z5 have dedicated connectors but the FX1000 just records through the firewire connector. Maybe Sony changed the newer models.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1