DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Assign buttons...Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/142482-assign-buttons-z1.html)

Marcus Martell January 27th, 2009 05:45 AM

Assign buttons...Z1

Hi guys, could somebody help me in the button assignment functions?
I really appreciate..
thx

Gareth Watkins January 27th, 2009 06:20 AM

Hi Marcus

There are only a few functions you can assign to these buttons, its really personal choice.
I like:

1 rec review
2 All scan
3 bars
4 WB +
5 Steadyshot on/off
6 WB-

cheers
Gareth

Gabor Maly January 27th, 2009 03:26 PM

Bars

Gareth,

don't want to hijack the conversation but what would you use the bars for? I understand there are two types but what is their purpose and how do you use them?

Cheers

Gabor

Boyd Ostroff January 28th, 2009 03:04 PM

There is already a dedicated button for the bars on the Z1, so assigning it seems a bit redundant...

Gabor - see this: - Color Bars

FWIW, mine are assigned as follows:

1: allscan mode
2: wb outdr lvl +
3: wb outdr lvl -
4: steadyshot
5: marker
6: display

Note that the ONLY way to access the allscan mode is to assign it to a button.

Gareth Watkins January 28th, 2009 04:44 PM

Hi Boyd

Yep I know it already has a bars button but the assign button is better placed...

Gabor,
I always shoot 30 secs of bars at the start of a tape.. a throw back the old Betacam days and linear editing, but now serves to avoid any possibly poor quality tape that might cause drop outs. This is most likely to be in the first part of the cassette.

Cheers
G

Marcus Martell February 3rd, 2009 11:19 AM

Could you explain me better the assignment of + or - WB button?Never thought about that!
thx MM

Vito DeFilippo February 3rd, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1005863)
Could you explain me better the assignment of + or - WB button?Never thought about that!
thx MM

That's got to be the best way to go for run and gun. You can quickly adjust white balance with the + or - buttons as you run from place to place. Great when you don't have time to do a proper while balance. I love it.

Only works if you set your while balance to the preset "outdoor".

Boyd Ostroff February 4th, 2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1005863)
thx MM

Have a look at this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...x1-a1-etc.html

Vito DeFilippo February 4th, 2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1006490)

Hey, I forgot about that thread! Apparently, I learned this trick from you, Boyd. Thanks again, I use it all the time now.

Marcus Martell February 7th, 2009 05:14 AM

Hey Boyd thanks a lot for the look at the post;will i be too boring if i ask 4 your attention for the correct workflow in doing this ?
1-i put the outdoor preset then i go to picture profile number one right?
2-then?

Boyd Ostroff February 7th, 2009 01:00 PM

You can create multiple picture profiles, and this technique could be used with any of them. As I said in the old thread,

Quote:

Set WB Preset to outdoors using the camera set menu for starters. Now go into the picture profile and set WB shift to -5.
Of course, you also need to assign WB+ and WB- to buttons for this to work.

Tom Hardwick February 7th, 2009 04:58 PM

I agree, and having buttons 5 and 6 as + and - fine tune white balance buttons is superb. 5 clicks on button 5 and you're on the artificial w/bal setting - so easy to remember. It's another reason why the Z1 is so much better than the FX1.

Marcus Martell February 25th, 2009 06:56 AM

I finally got it how to set em.Just 2 questions:4 what are useful the ALL SCAN MODE and the Marker?

thx

Tom Hardwick February 25th, 2009 08:31 AM

The allscan mode (actually more commonly known as underscan) only works in the HDV mode and allows you to see the entire frame as recorded by the chips and as is commonly shown on the latest flat-panel TVs. A must if you're using a softie and a wide-angle, for instance.

Marcus Martell February 25th, 2009 09:35 AM

thx a lot TOM!What about the marker?