DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Time lapse settings...Z1/fx1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/144509-time-lapse-settings-z1-fx1.html)

Marcus Martell February 24th, 2009 10:24 AM

Time lapse settings...Z1/fx1

Hi guys wich are the best setting you suggest me to make a nice timelapse?
Thx a lot

Tom Hardwick February 24th, 2009 02:11 PM

The best setting by far is to film in real time. Then, in the peace and quiet of your edit studio you can decide what's best, ramp the speeds up and down and best of all click the undo button and try something else.

If you have the FX1 you can slect LP, slot in an 80 min tape and grab two hours of real time.

My 'on-axis' shots of boats climbing up a hillside through numerous locks needed completely different time lapse speeds for the tanks filling up and the lock gates opening and closing.

tom.

Marcus Martell February 25th, 2009 05:04 AM

Thank you Tom, iill do exactly as u stated.I remember reading somewhere suggestion about the shutter setting for this kind of time lapse.A dvinfo user told me about a script that i could use with sony Vegas to speed up the velocity but i can't find it.....
Btw thanks in advance for your patience!

Tom Hardwick February 25th, 2009 05:19 AM

You'll be safe using any shutter speed at your disposal, and speeding the footage up on the timeline effectively takes one frame here, then bypasses 10 frames (say) then grabs another frame, then bypasses, and so on.

The last school play I filmed started in real time in the empty theatre, then gradually and smoothly increased to 500x real time as the kids came in and took their seats. That's the bit the kids liked best in the whole DVD.

tom.

Marcus Martell February 25th, 2009 06:23 AM

hi my friend, and in this scene wich shutter setting did you use?

Tom Hardwick February 25th, 2009 08:16 AM

The default shutter speed of (PAL) 1/50th sec. The timelapse world is so unreal though you could use practically any speed you choose.

Marcus Martell February 27th, 2009 02:24 PM

Thx TOM! ...

Chris Hewitt March 2nd, 2009 05:05 AM

There's a script made by JOhn Meyer which you can find here; go for number 7:

VASST - search

I've used this script in Vegas 6 and 7 for a few years now and does time lapse better than any camera setting. Good luck!

Marcus Martell March 5th, 2009 04:39 AM

Thx a lot my friend

Marcus Martell March 21st, 2009 01:25 PM

Ok i've downloaded,how should i act?

Marcus Martell March 21st, 2009 01:59 PM

I think this script is usefulif i have recorded many clips with the camcorder.In my case, i left the camcorder recording for 1 hour.
Let me know
thx

Chris Hewitt March 24th, 2009 06:03 PM

Copy and paste the JMH script into C/Program Files/Sony/Vegas 7/Script Menu.

Run Vegas, then double-click the horizontal toolbar at the top just above the time increments and this will open a 'Customize Toolbar' window. In that window on the left, scroll down till you see the JMH script. Select that script, then press 'Add', then press 'Close'.

You should now see the script icon appear on the toolbar.

OK, add a videofile but delete the audio as you don't want to timelapse the sound, no point.
With the video on the timeline, click the JMH script and drag and drop it onto the video clip.

(Just remembered, you need to split the video clip into seperate events, say, one second in length. The script will then delete all but one frame from each event and butt them all together giving you instant timelapse. You can experiment to see what sort of speed suits you.
To split any lengthy video clip into seperate events will drive you crazy after a couple of minutes so you might want to look at buying VASST Ultimate S which will do that for you very nicely plus a whole lot more. But you can download a demo which I believe works for a month without limitations and that will tell you if you really need the program. Buy it, it's a massive timesaver.) Hope this helps! Adios amigo!!

Melvin Baggs May 23rd, 2009 11:43 AM

Time Lapse in FCP

How do you do time lapse in FCP 6?

THX

Chris Westerstrom June 9th, 2009 07:04 AM

is there anyway to slow the camera enough that you can film longer than on an 80 minute tape in HDV?

like 1 frame per minute? or is that something better done with a still camera?

Tom Hardwick June 9th, 2009 07:21 AM

If you had an HDV camera that could accurately do single frame shooting, then yes - at one frame per minute your tape would run for 40 hours. Better connect the camera to the mains.