HDR-HC9 (or similar) as a deck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 27th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #1
New Boot

HDR-HC9 (or similar) as a deck?

Hi Folks,
I have a Z1 (HVR-Z1U) which apparently has a fried firewire (iLink) connection. I can shoot with it, but cannot capture with it.

I was looking into buying a deck simply for capturing, then I read some posts where people recommend getting a smaller camcorder to use for capturing and as a backup camera. Has anyone done this? Got any tips?

Is there a camcorder (or even a deck) which is switchable from PAL to NTSC like the Z1?

Thanks,
Douglas
Douglas Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sure, I used a couple of HC3s to capture my FX1 footage for a long time before I moved up to my M15 deck. No problems at all except I found they were getting really hot during long batch capture sessions, what with all the shuttling back and forth. In many ways they were better than the actual M15 deck, as they had some features the deck lacks.

The three Sony decks (M15, M25 and M35) are all NTSC/PAL switchable, according to the manuals. I don't know of any other cams besides the Z1, and certainly not cheap little ones. But perhaps someone knows of one.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Major Player

The Z1 is the only "HDV Camcorder Deck" that can do both 50i and 60i. The alternative is to buy 2 cheap consumer HDV cameras. One in 50i, the other 60i. These are cheaper than a single z1 or any of the dual system decks you mentioned.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had vague recollections that many Sony cameras can playback both NTSC and PAL (but not record both -- that's only offered on the Z1). I found a few threads talking about this, and it sounds like an HC9 can do it:

Can FX1 (NTSC) play PAL DV or HDV 50i? or vice versa? - The Digital Video Information Network
NTSC playback on a Sony PAL camera. True or False? - The Digital Video Information Network

You could try taking two PAL and NTSC tapes to the store and seeing if they play.

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM   #5
New Boot

Tha sounds interesting - I would only be using the camera/deck to capture both PAL and NTSC, so that just might work!
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #6
New Boot

Gv-hd700?

Hi all,
I recently found the Sony GV-HD700 deck at several places online. Sounds like something I might be interested in. But is it PAL/NTSC switchable?

Does anyone use one (or have one)? If it does not RECORD in both will it at least PLAY BACK both?

here's a photo:
Sony Drive GV-HD700,HDV1080i HD Video Walkman : Specs, reviews and prices.

Thanks
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

No. The 700 is NTSC and the 700E is PAL. Page 75 of the manual.

For switchable, you need the M15/M25/M35.
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Trustee

Is it me or the heads of this deck won't last forever as other deck like HVRm25 -30-15?
Maybe is better 2 use the Sony GV-HD700 as a reader for extreme situations right?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Not necessarily. The tape transport systems are generally more robust in actual decks, but the heads are usually the same in decks or cams. At least that's what I'm told.
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Whats up ADAM?
So do you think that The tape transport system of the 700 and of the hvr-m15 are about the same hard construction?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I can't be sure, but I suspect so.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1