Audio secrets....Z1&Sennheiser eng g2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 5th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Trustee

Audio secrets....Z1&Sennheiser eng g2

Hi could you confirm me the best workflow to use in Auto Audio mode?Somebody told me to use a few tricks but i don't remeber now....
What about if i have to interview 2 persons with 2 different mics SEnn eng g2?
Settings?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Hi could you confirm me the best workflow to use in Auto Audio mode?Somebody told me to use a few tricks but i don't remeber now....
What about if i have to interview 2 persons with 2 different mics SEnn eng g2?
Settings?

thx
Take a look at this tutorial, it should answer most of your questions on setup.
Sennheiser Wireless Tutorial on Vimeo

Now if you are using 2 wireless sets, make sure that you are using the same Bank but different frequencies within that bank for each wireless. The reason for this is that Sennheiser created each Bank to house 4 frequencies within each that are spaced apart enough that they won't interfere with each other.

But most important for multi wireless use is to do a frequency scan and find a Bank that has 4 free channels that you can use.
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Trustee

What's the story behind CH!,CH2 and ch1+ ch2?
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
What's the story behind CH!,CH2 and ch1+ ch2?
If you are talking about those settings on the Z1, they are as follows.

CH1+CH2: Only ONE input is plugged into one onboard XLR. This might be either a mic or wireless receiver plugged into your onboard camera XLR. Your one mono source then split between both L/R channels to create a faux stereo signal. So if you were only to plug in a shotgun mono mic into CH1, then the signal would be split between your L/R (CH1/2) stereo audio on tape.

CH1/CH2: TWO inputs are plugged into BOTH CH1 and CH2 XLRs. Usually this is a wireless in one channel (CH1) and shotgun mic on CH2.
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Thx 4 the quick replies!
Any suggestion on how to use the auto mode?
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Hallo, i remember reading somewhere that in auto mode you should talk loud at the beginning of the recording....Is it true for any reason?
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #7
Trustee

Maybe here is the right place where i should ask:

What about if i have on hidden mic (senn g2 levalier) in the jacket of an actor, and i would also like to record the audio with the internal mic?

thx
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Maybe here is the right place where i should ask:

What about if i have on hidden mic (senn g2 levalier) in the jacket of an actor, and i would also like to record the audio with the internal mic?

thx
I don't know which camera you have Z1/FX1, but if you have an FX1 you will need an XLR box like a Juicedlink (Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter/Preamp: Buy Direct and Save from juicedLink) which will enable you to feed 2 mono signals into your camera (wireless and onboard shotgun mic).

For a Z1 the procedure is the same, wireless in one channel and shotgun mic into another.

The new Sony Z5 lets you use one XLR channel for wireless (if desired) and also the onbaord stere mic or other XLR port. So the onboard stereo mic isn't disabled when you plug in anotehr audio input into the caera like previous Sony cameras. Very cool.
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Trustee

Hallo Mike, i have both z1 and fx1.
I need to know the procedure for z1
If i wanna use both Shotgun and sennheiser levalier?Pick ch1,ch2?or ch1 +ch2?
What about if i decide to use the internal mic of the camera plus the sennheiser lavalier?

thx
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Hallo Mike, i have both z1 and fx1.
I need to know the procedure for z1
If i wanna use both Shotgun and sennheiser levalier?Pick ch1,ch2?or ch1 +ch2?
What about if i decide to use the internal mic of the camera plus the sennheiser lavalier?

thx
Marcus, once input (plug) into an XLR input on the Z1, then the onboard mic is instantly disconnected, and all audio is switched over to the XLR inputs. So if you want to use a wireless and additional audio for ambient mix, then you will have to have 2 separate inputs plugged into both XLR inputs on your Z1. So this could be wireless + shotgun mic, or wireless + wireless (2 wireless devices).

As for which XLR input (ch1 or ch2), it doesn't matter, as you have separate control over each input as needed.

And as for using an XLR box with the FX1, the same scenario applies, as once yo plug into the FX1's 1/8 mic port, the onboard mic is deactivated.

As I aid this was changed with the new Sony Z5, as the circuitry was wired to take an XLR input without disabling the onboard mic for use if desired. But this can't be accomplished with the Z1.
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Trustee

Mike listen,could u explain me better theese cases?
-If i have to make an interview with one sennheiser rx and one tx with levalier mic i should choose ch,1ch2 right?
if i choose ch1 i hear the audio only on one channel.
-If i wanna use the rx tx with lavalier in a channel and in the othe xlr input i plug a rode ntg1 i shoul choose CH1+ch2 ?

thx
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Mike listen,could u explain me better theese cases?
-If i have to make an interview with one sennheiser rx and one tx with levalier mic i should choose ch,1ch2 right?
if i choose ch1 i hear the audio only on one channel.
-If i wanna use the rx tx with lavalier in a channel and in the othe xlr input i plug a rode ntg1 i shoul choose CH1+ch2 ?

thx
Marcus, if you ONLY use one wireless unit and no other channels are needed. So you are only using one XLR input, then you select CH1+CH2. This will split the signal to both channels.

If you are using 2 XLR inputs, wireless + either shotgun input or wireless/line input, then you select CH1 for the one XLR input, and leave the other as is. this will send each XLR input to independent L/R channels.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1