FX1 tape record problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Trustee

FX1 tape record problem

The other day I was shooting with one of my 3 Sony FX1's and noticed that the recorded tapes can only be viewed in fast forward or rewind. When the tape is played in ANY camera I only get a blue screen.

Luckily this was a B-roll camera for this shoot, but still sucks.

Is this a tape head alignment problem during recording?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Something is definitely wrong with the tape drive and/or head movement mechanisms. Normally, on any tape-based camera, the playback or record head retracts while the tape is being rewound or fast forwarded. Or perhaps the electrical contacts underneath the playback controls located on the camera's handle have somehow been messed up, causing the switch from playback to fast forward/rewind or vice versa.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Trustee

I have just contacted Sony as well as Armatos, and who knows how much Sony will run me. But speaking with Armatos they said that there is most likely a 90%+ chance that teh tape assembly might have to be replaced. And I was quoted over the phone a cost that will be approximately over $500. Ouch.

Sony charges $511 flat to start off with for their repairs.

Someone mentioned on another post that I might be served purchasing an extended warranty on the camera first and then send it in. But Sony will only sell a warranty within the first year of purchasing the camera, so that was a no go.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; March 23rd, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I would try a head cleaner tape before I sent it in. Then record something new and see if it plays back OK. It could be just a partial head clog.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've experienced this - nothing in play mode but it's there in FF. The tape was recorded in a Canon HV20 but neither my Z1 nor FX1 would play it - though it was fine in the Canon.

Try a head clean as Greg suggests, then a camera reset, then a rec / replay to see if things have improved.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1