DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1U Shoe Mount Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/234704-z1u-shoe-mount-adapter.html)

Bill Ward May 5th, 2009 10:37 AM

Z1U Shoe Mount Adapter

Has anyone found a sturdy adaptor that changes the Z1U male shoe design to the standard female shoe mount?

I've got an extension/adaptor that came with my PAG light, but it protrudes too far forward, and is not very stiff. When I get a good sized light on it, the adapter flexs and bounces way too much. (to the point where I worry about it breaking off)

Anyone found a cube or 1-1 sized adapter that just slips over the Z1 shoe and stays rock solid?

Michael Liebergot May 5th, 2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward (Post 1137936)
Has anyone found a sturdy adaptor that changes the Z1U male shoe design to the standard female shoe mount?

I've got an extension/adaptor that came with my PAG light, but it protrudes too far forward, and is not very stiff. When I get a good sized light on it, the adapter flexs and bounces way too much. (to the point where I worry about it breaking off)

Anyone found a cube or 1-1 sized adapter that just slips over the Z1 shoe and stays rock solid?

Well for starters, here's a sturdier version of the Z1/FX1 shoe mount: DM-Accessories - FX1-FLAT - a replacement shoe mount for FX1 & Z1
It's made of powder coated aluminum, not plastic like the Sony mount.

You also may be able to mount their coated cube shoe mount made for AIS Sony cameras.
DM-Accessories - AIS-FLAT - Universal shoe mount for Sony camcorders with AIS mount

But the first shoe mount posted should work much better than the original Sony mount.

Bill Ward May 5th, 2009 11:39 PM

Michael:

Thanks! I had originally looked at that adapter and passed on, since it is similar in form to the inadequate one I already have, but in taking another look, it seems like it could be much more robust. I'll give it a try!

B

Bill Ward July 27th, 2009 06:19 PM

Quick follow-up:

I purchased the DM-accessories shoe adapter, and it's just what I needed. It's very strong, with no flex. It was a tight fit getting it onto the funky Sony-only shoe mold on the Z1, so I'm pretty much going to just leave it attached permanently.

When I took the PAG-supplied "springy" adapter off the Z1, I found the PAG shoe had broken and come apart internally. The only thing holding the unit together was the pressure of the screw thread.

Federico Perale July 9th, 2010 08:29 AM

has someone found a good alternative in Europe?

I bought this one on-line but it doesn't work

it screws in but at the end stay perpendicular so it's completely useless.

Flash Shoe Adaptor For Sony HDR-FX1, HDR-FX1E, HVR-Z1U on eBay (end time 04-Aug-10 19:33:19 BST)

Colin Rowe July 11th, 2010 09:07 AM

Federico, check this out Accessories/Spares » Rycote Excellent accessory. I mount a Rotolight, and G2 receiver on mine. Wouldnt leave home without it