Z1U Shoe Mount Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 5th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Z1U Shoe Mount Adapter

Has anyone found a sturdy adaptor that changes the Z1U male shoe design to the standard female shoe mount?

I've got an extension/adaptor that came with my PAG light, but it protrudes too far forward, and is not very stiff. When I get a good sized light on it, the adapter flexs and bounces way too much. (to the point where I worry about it breaking off)

Anyone found a cube or 1-1 sized adapter that just slips over the Z1 shoe and stays rock solid?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Has anyone found a sturdy adaptor that changes the Z1U male shoe design to the standard female shoe mount?

I've got an extension/adaptor that came with my PAG light, but it protrudes too far forward, and is not very stiff. When I get a good sized light on it, the adapter flexs and bounces way too much. (to the point where I worry about it breaking off)

Anyone found a cube or 1-1 sized adapter that just slips over the Z1 shoe and stays rock solid?
Well for starters, here's a sturdier version of the Z1/FX1 shoe mount: DM-Accessories - FX1-FLAT - a replacement shoe mount for FX1 & Z1
It's made of powder coated aluminum, not plastic like the Sony mount.

You also may be able to mount their coated cube shoe mount made for AIS Sony cameras.
DM-Accessories - AIS-FLAT - Universal shoe mount for Sony camcorders with AIS mount

But the first shoe mount posted should work much better than the original Sony mount.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Michael:

Thanks! I had originally looked at that adapter and passed on, since it is similar in form to the inadequate one I already have, but in taking another look, it seems like it could be much more robust. I'll give it a try!

B
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quick follow-up:

I purchased the DM-accessories shoe adapter, and it's just what I needed. It's very strong, with no flex. It was a tight fit getting it onto the funky Sony-only shoe mold on the Z1, so I'm pretty much going to just leave it attached permanently.

When I took the PAG-supplied "springy" adapter off the Z1, I found the PAG shoe had broken and come apart internally. The only thing holding the unit together was the pressure of the screw thread.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Major Player

has someone found a good alternative in Europe?

I bought this one on-line but it doesn't work

it screws in but at the end stay perpendicular so it's completely useless.

Flash Shoe Adaptor For Sony HDR-FX1, HDR-FX1E, HVR-Z1U on eBay (end time 04-Aug-10 19:33:19 BST)
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Federico, check this out Accessories/Spares » Rycote Excellent accessory. I mount a Rotolight, and G2 receiver on mine. Wouldnt leave home without it

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1