How to turn off FX1 input attentuator for Juicedlink at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to turn off FX1 input attentuator for Juicedlink

I just got my new juicedlink CX231 XLR adapter and the tutorial video on their site says to turn off the input attenuator. I have looked through the menu and I am not clear on exactly what I need to set. Has anyone here set up their FX1 for the juicedlink?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wilson View Post
I just got my new juicedlink CX231 XLR adapter and the tutorial video on their site says to turn off the input attenuator. I have looked through the menu and I am not clear on exactly what I need to set. Has anyone here set up their FX1 for the juicedlink?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill
William the FX1 doesn't have an input attenuator on it.
You can turn on AGC in the camera, which will control all peaks and quiet audio. But I don't like to use AGC, as the quiet moments get pumped up too much and as a result too much noise is introduced.

I have my Juicedlink box plugged into several FX1's and have the volume set to manual and set to 5 on the input volume.

Then I set the pad to M or L on the Juicedlink and adjust accordingly while recording. I have never used the H (hihg gain setting) as there is always too much nose in the signal and the signal is too hot anyway. I normally have my Juicedlink gain set to M for most situations, unless it's real loud, and then I use the L gain setting.

And always wear headphones and ride your gain accordingly when you shoot.

One other note as well, if you are only using one input for some reason, then make sure that you turn the other unused channel all of the way down. If you don't then you very well will get some electronic noise introduced into your audio. As the pre amps are so quiet that the onboard circuitry, when not used will be picked up if active.

I love these juicedlink boxes as I get great audio every time, no matter the feed.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Michael,

Thanks for the very informative post. I apprecitate all of the info. Now I can get this set up and working finally :-)

I am going to have to find a happy medium for the gain as both of my hands are full when I am shooting so I wont have the ability to adjust the gain as I go.

Thanks!

Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1