Sony HDV Handycam DSR 0000 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Also...

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Gordon : Ten bucks says that the mysterious 1, 2 & 3 buttons are for

1080i

540/480p

480i -->>>

5c says the 1/2/3 buttons are for 1, 2, or 3 CCDs ..... :P

NB: for those without any sense of humour.. this is a joke
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #32
Contributor

Re: Sony HDV Handycam DSR 0000 - the specs!

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy :

3) Focus wheel has a "thingie" to move it, with markings!>>>

Actually it looks like that may be the zoom ring - with the focus ring right behind the lens...

Pretty interesting though,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #33
Outer Circle

Quote:
Yeah, I'm selling my HD10u right now!
If you do that, what are you going to use in the mean time? That could mean a year or more. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #34
Trustee

I guess with a hardware solution I can imagine it being OK, but software only solutions would be awful I'd imagine. I'll hold judgement though...

Aaron
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Daymon-

Sony would never agree to fewer minutes and better quality. Who needs better quality and more editing lattitude when you can get a few more minutes per tape? I mean, don't 16mm cans run for at least an hour?

In other words, I was trying to be funny, you are right, and I agree with you completely. I just don't think we're gonna see it happen.
Ashley Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #36
Regular Crew

one of the links isnt working!!!!!

i only get the pic and pdf

what am i missing?

whats the price <range>?!!!
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #37
Outer Circle

Funny, I don't get the pic.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:03 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Shorter tapes, better quality.

Sony has done it before. Look at what they did with the Beta format. You could put 2 hours of Betamax video on a Beta tape OR 30 minutes of pro Betacam footage on that same tape.

There's no reason to suggest that they couldn't do it again. Maybe they'll call it HDVCAM or HDV Pro.

-Chris Gordon
Promo Producer
KABC-TV Los Angeles
Chris Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #39
Trustee

Maybe we saw something we weren't suppose to see? Otherwise, we were suppose to see it and make some noise..

I think we need to contact Sony stock holders and YELL really loud that HDV can make them money.

What do you guys think??

Murph
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #40
Trustee

Kenn, let's call it a tie...we both win!

:)
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #41
Major Player

JVC-are you awake?

Clearly this Sony will blow the current JVC out of the water and into obsolescence. Their only response--assuming they want to remain in the game (a big assumption!)--should be to take their DV5000 camera and convert it to HDV. Price it under $10,000. With the option of a nice lens on the front as well as two channels of balanced audio, suddenly the Sony camera looks like kid's stuff again.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #42
Trustee

I think we won't have to yell really loud, but we might have to wait until sometime between april 15th and the 22nd. (probably closer to the earlier date) I'm curious as to what 1080i looks like compressed into mpeg2
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #43
Major Player

what about 720p? i mean isnt a big part of the filmlook progressive?, or will u be able to post 1080i to 1080p.

In my experience in DV shotting pregressive vs deinterlacing has no comparison.

-heres some food for thought, think about in 15 years time when your kid or grandkid comes in from being in the backyard making a film with their friends and theve got this little SHDV3 camera and it look like bloody imax.- im keeping my svhsc cam to show my kids what i had to use!

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Guys, I know this is exciting news, but don't think we are going to see this camera anytime soon. I think 2005 best case. They are talking about "announcing a prototype at CeBit". I assume if they already had the prototype ready to demo they would have actually shown that prototype at CeBit (or at least a physical mockup of it).

Basically this is confirmation of what everyone already knew; that Sony and all of JVC's competitors are planning on releasing their HDV cameras sometime in 2005. That is a pretty safe bet. I just hope people don't get their hopes up about the camera being available for purchse this year.

Hopefully they will prove me wrong and announce something at NAB.

Also, notice they have removed the picture, probably because they know if they mis-represent the cameras ability with that mockup then people will be disappointed when the camera comes out. Someone already correctly pointed out that Sony would not have "DSRxxxx" and "Handycam" on the same camera.

Notice that the press release was VERY careful not to mention specs (they do not mention 3 chips anywhere, for example), although they did make a vague marketing-type reference to 1080i.

This is basically a common strategy (and a good one) to keep people from buying the JVC until Sony can get their camera released. The more they hint at this the more people will be hesitant to buy the JVC. Thus, I think the best thing about this short-term is that hopefully the prices on the JVC cameras will tumble.

Finally, I don't think there is any question that the Sony offering will be "better", but I also think you can bet on it being substantially more expensive.

Anyway, don't sell your JVC's just yet; unless you want to sell it to us for cheap :)

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #45
Major Player

Interesting psychology...

Now I see how important Brand recognition is. Aside from this camera having 3CCDs, it seems like it is getting a lot of thumbs up already just because it is Sony. When the JVC cam came out, people were quick to trash it, even before they found out it had 1CCD (or even before they saw the image!) Anyway, I’m excited by the camera myself, so maybe I have a little bit of a Sony-Fan Boy in me :)
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1