Sony HDV Handycam DSR 0000 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 18th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #46
MPS Digital Studios

Again, what about the fact that the camera was listed on sony Europe's site?

heath
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #47
Wrangler

Hi Rez Picture Gone

Has anyone saved the Hi rez pic of the camera? It's gone from the site.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #48
Barry Wan Kenobi

Re: Interesting psychology...

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson : Now I see how important Brand recognition is. Aside from this camera having 3CCDs, it seems like it is getting a lot of thumbs up already just because it is Sony. -->>>

I don't agree. I mean, yes, there are brand bigots out there, but I think the reason this is getting so much attention is because (at least from the picture) it looks like it will be a truly professional camera design. JVC announced the HD1 as being for home consumers. Sony's mockup of the DSR-0000 (or whatever it's called) is clearly not aimed at home consumers: it's showing a true manual zoom ring, flip switches for gain and white balance, a manual iris knob, manual audio controls... plus three CCD's... with a year to think about what JVC has done (and which parts have been most complained about) there's clearly much optimism that Sony will address and fix those complaints in their release.

I think Lynne said it best though -- if JVC introduces an HDV-5000U, the Sony goes back on the "also-ran" pile.

(don't you love the Internet age... the announcement's not even 24 hours old yet, the camera doesn't even EXIST yet, and already there are some of us relegating it to "also-ran" status!) ;)

I don't care for Sony's "you love us because we are Sony, you will buy our product and pay more for it simply because we are Sony" attitude... but I will say that the picture of the new HDV camera looks like Sony "gets it" and will deliver a very, very interesting product.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #49
Major Player

Good point Barry. Of course, if it only does interlace, I don't think I'll be too interested. Magic Bullet HD cost 2k!
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #50
Major Player

Did Sony Give an Idea Of Price

I was unable to see either of the pictures of the unit. Did anyone get a sense of what kind of price we're talking about? Under $5k maybe.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #51
Major Player

I'm with Chris, Ashley, and Daymon: if the camera reviewers and talkback communities keep keep on bitching and moaning for faster tape speeds, better bit rates, Sony and JVC and the rest might at least have to consider it.

Like other posters, I am worried about 1080i--without progressive scan we're hobbled. Of course 108024p takes up less information and tape time than 108060i so we can dream that some day... I know, I know it's too much to ask but--sighhh...

Can you believe just a year and a half ago, all the experts in all the DV magazines were saying with full authority that home HD cams would definitely not appear before 2010 to 2015. I'm sure the Sony will be ten times better but thanks JVC for forcing the HD revolution ten years early.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #52
Wrangler

For those that didn't see the pic, it kind of looks like a VX2000.

I spent some time looking at a closeup of the hi-res pic trying to find a 24p mode on it. Didn't see one.
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #53
MPS Digital Studios

I hate to keep driving this home, but why was this camera announced on the Sony Europe site? Though a PAL version would be great for filmmakers, others want 30p or 60i versions.

What are your thoughts? We should try nailing down what kind of camera this is, NTSC or PAL.

heath
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #54
Trustee

Is it suppose to be shown at NAB? What's the estimate
on when a production model will be out?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #55
MPS Digital Studios

A reliable source says Sony will be previewing an HDV camera, likely a 3 ccd, at NAB. Which leads me to believe my source is hinting at this camera. That could be the answer to the NTSC or PAL question.

heath
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #56
Inner Circle

More info at http://www.abcdv.com/

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #57
Barry Wan Kenobi

Well, HD is neither NTSC nor PAL, it's HD... so as far as that goes, it should be irrelevant (although if the camera has a standard DV shooting mode, then PAL/NTSC would become relevant for that mode)...

... but considering that we know nothing about it at all, we know nothing about what modes it shoots in, we know nothing about what resolutions it may offer (other than a passing reference to 1080), we know nothing about what refresh rates it may offer (60i? 50i? 30P? 25P?)... and Sony USA refuses to even talk about the product (other than to call it a "mockup", not even a prototype)...

I don't think you're going to get any answers on this forum anytime soon.

However, it is a little curious that it would be introduced in PAL territories, since PAL countries seem largely indifferent to HDTV.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Heath , I think it is pure timing. CEBIT comes before NAB every year. Things get announced there first. In this internet age marketing is borderless and keeps everyone guessing regardless of standards used. This will stop people making decisions until they get more information so will hurt JVC or anyone else who announces until all the information is out most likely at NAB. Nice delaying tactic. Besides HD is HD.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #59
MPS Digital Studios

Good point, Ron.

BUT, JVC has announcement of their OWN 3 CCD HDV ENG-style camera:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=23142

Thanks,

heath
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #60
MPS Digital Studios

JVC will have a 3 CCD HDV Camera to show at NAB. The scoop can be found here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=23142

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1