Sony HDV Handycam DSR 0000 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 7th, 2004, 06:08 AM   #121
Wrangler

I don't think we'll see any footage from that camera for a while. The display model was a mock-up, which means it was solid inside...no electronics. Just for show, under glass.

We wont see a Canon anytime soon, since Canon gets its electronics from Sony.

It'll be a while before we have another camera but JVC to choose from in the HDV arena.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #122
Wrangler

Quote:
is that a flip out LCD panel?? Or a mic mixer panel?? curious..
Supposedly its a 16:9 LCD Panel that folds out and swivels.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #123
MPS Digital Studios

If the top "panel" behind the mic is another LCD flip out screen, I'd be HAPPY!

heath
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #124
Regular Crew

It's not actually an "additional" screen... it's the main LCD screen. As on the VX2100, the screen is on the side and the DV tape deck is on the other side where your hand goes. On this one, the LCD is moved to the front of the handle, the DV deck is moved to the left side so you don't have to remove your holding hand to switch tapes.
Also somebody mentioned earlier in this post that the 1, 2, 3 buttons might be focus presets? More likely, they are user memory buttons for camera settings (included would be white balance, shutter speed, iris, possibly mic levels, etc.).
(This is all speculation since the final product hasn't been introduced, but this is what can be gathered from numerous pictures I, along with others, have seen)

Anyway, I'm excited... looks like it'll be a solid product and it looks even more refined and user friendly than the current VX2100/PD-170.
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #125
Contributor

> Anyway, I'm excited... looks like it'll be a solid product and it
> looks even more refined and user friendly than the current
> VX2100/PD-170.

Hmm. I am sure it will be a very interesting product. I am also shure there is no way it will have the sensitivity to light that the VX2100/PD170 have. Also, it does not seem to feature XLR connectors so for demanding audio applications we will have to add some extra hardware not needen on cameras desgined for pro use like the PD150/170, PDX10, etc.

Let's hope Sony at least allows line level audio input in camera mode, then we could add a good preamp or mixer. I have a hunch that there might be two of these cameras in the works, one if the prototyped one, the other one having perhaps XLR inputs, maybe a better lens or some other feature to make it more appealing to professional videographers.
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #126
Regular Crew

Yeah, you're probably correct about the light level sensitivety... it'll probably take a little while for the high def CCD's to catch up to the low light performance of the current VX2100 performance. On the XLR's, though... the prototype is labeled with a "DSR" which implies that it is the consumer version (no XLR's). There will probably be a "PD" version that adds XLR's... and at least $1500 to the price tag (booo!). The prototype did, however, have external audio level controls on the back side, which is definitely a good sign. The overall layout of the camera just seems to be very refined.
Well, I guess we've all got only a couple more days to find out the official details!
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #127
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Pasty Jackson : On the XLR's, though... the prototype is labeled with a "DSR" which implies that it is the consumer version (no XLR's). There will probably be a "PD" version that adds XLR's... and at least $1500 to the price tag (booo!). -->>>

Actually, DSR is the prefix for their professional cameras, like the DSR-PD150. Their consumer versions are DCR - like DCR-VX1000, DCR-TRVXXX etc.
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #128
Obstreperous Rex

David is quite right -- the designation "DSR" would imply that it actually does have built-in XLR connectors. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #129
Contributor

The mock-up seen also had the Handycam logo stenciled on it's body... and there are no Handycams with XLR connectors, it's their consumer brand. Also... I don't see there being any space for XLR connectors.
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #130
Wrangler

Some of the photos of this camera said "DSR 0000" others did not. Some had a "3 CCD" decal, others did not. Let's face it, until Sony actually announces something this is just vaporware...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #131
Trustee

So what's the reasoning that it won't have the
light sensitivity of the VX/PD?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #132
Wrangler

Quote:
So what's the reasoning that it won't have the
light sensitivity of the VX/PD?
The millions of pixels would probably diminish any low light performance offered by the glass and (hopefully large) CCDs. At least that has been the case with most sub $5k USD cams offering over 1 million pixels per CCD.

There is something to be said about the VX2100 and PD170 with their relatively low pixel count (340k video actual) and 1/3" CCDs in regards to low light performance.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #133
Major Player

Re: "There is something to be said about the VX2100 and PD170 with their relatively low pixel count (340k video actual) and 1/3" CCDs in regards to low light performance."

And that thing to be said is, "for a fat girl you don't sweat too much."
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #134
Contributor

> "for a fat girl you don't sweat too much."

Jajjaja, that's, well, sort of the nail on the head. I don't think the pixel size/light sensitivity ratio can get any better than that of the Sony VX2100/PD170. At twice the resolution I presume the CCD would have to be four times the size to have the same low light performance. Probably this is why JVC is going CMOS, not CCD, for their pro HDV offering.
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #135
Regular Crew

This baby has XLR connections... YES!!!

I am buying this camera as soon as it comes out!
David Gomez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1