DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Need a z1u wish list now! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/236600-need-z1u-wish-list-now.html)

Charles Mabry June 2nd, 2009 07:33 AM

Need a z1u wish list now!

Ok gents.... I have a task to buy high ticket items to better serve combat camera and I need suggestions ASAP. We cannot buy new cameras but can buy ANY accessories that will for the cameras we have.

I don't know the Z1U so well so im reaching out to you. If someone came up to you and said you have 4 hours to come up with everything you want, what would you put down?

I need a "wish list" NOW! If you can post right now before 1300 with the type of item, where to get it, and why it benefits the Z1U. I would greatly appreciate.

If you guys ever wanted to help out the Marines.... heres your chance! Thanks!

Adam Gold June 2nd, 2009 12:15 PM

I fear we've missed your deadline, but in any event it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what you have and how you use the cam. And you'll never get everyone to agree -- there will be endless debates about brands, models prices, etc.

The only usage word I picked up on was "combat" so I assume you are talking about outdoors, daytime? Obviously you always need good tripods with good fluid heads. Maybe a crane if you really want to blow some dough (although they needn't be that expensive). Good wireless mics, I suppose. External field monitors to mount on the cams and/or cranes. Perhaps matte boxes with good filter sets for a more cinematic look, and some Century/Schneider tele-extenders for extra reach. A lot of lighting gear would hamper your mobility and wouldn't likely help much.

B&H is my "go to" place for nearly everything. They have all this stuff and more.

Charles Mabry June 3rd, 2009 06:46 AM

well the deadline was deff missed. We ended up not ordering any accessories but ordered this baby instead! MICROTECH - CD/DVD/Blu-ray duplicators, CD/DVD publishing systems, CD/DVD/Blu-ray duplication

Charles Newcomb June 3rd, 2009 09:15 PM

Charles

Make sure you get a UV filter, if nothing else. That'll protect your lens from crap the helicopter kicks up. And a rain cover. Keep it with you at all times.

How'd the Vortex tutorial DVD work out for you?

Oo-rah,
Doc

Charles Mabry June 5th, 2009 08:04 AM

Is there a brand/ type you would suggest for the filters? We also already have the rain coats! Believe me... We have used those babies in some pretty crazy situations. They work great.

Also that video is just awesome. The school the military sends us to is a basic film school and once we hit the fleet we use dif cameras than what we learned on. The video is a great way to understand the basic in an hours time. I had two boot Marines check in recently. I locked them in a room and made them watch the video while practicing each setting on the camera.... great results....

Thanks again man!