Flashing lights in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flashing lights in low light

Does anyone know why when filming in very low light conditions, any bright flashes of light causes the screen to momentarily 'split' horizontally in two with one half being bright white light and the other half being the picture itself. This is invisible when the film is playing at normal speed but very evident if the film is being played in very slow motion
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

EX1 & 3 with CMOS sensors are more prone to shutter roll but it can happen to any camera when you slow down the footage. You can read the technical explanation here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...panic-not.html
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Tim - you're not seeing this with footage shot on your FX1, are you? That's the beauty of the FX1 / Z1 / HMC151 - the fact that they use CCD sensors means they don't suffer this nasty effect.

I've just viewed wedding footage I shot on the EX1 and I'm sorry to say the 'half frames' that happen every time an electronic flash goes off just horrifies me, and there were times when the footage actually couldn't be put into slo-mo it looked so bad. Other than that the pictures are just beautiful.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1