DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 with the Merlin (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/238571-z1-merlin.html)

Marcus Martell July 7th, 2009 02:57 AM

Z1 with the Merlin

Hi guys,
i wanted to know how many of u own a steadicam merlin.I've just purchased the new model and i'm trying to use it with my z1.I'm having issues on setting the balance.

thanks

Dennis Cummins July 7th, 2009 03:01 PM

Good luck with that! i gave up after hours of trying to use it, just couldnt get the hang of it...

Marcus Martell July 8th, 2009 01:28 AM

Dennis don't tell me that !Never give up,never!!!!!

Tony Neal July 8th, 2009 05:38 AM

The Merlin was made for the Z1 - its a perfect combination. People complain about the weight but the heavier the rig, the smoother the results. I can go for several hours of intermittent shooting without losing the use of my arm ! - it gets easier with (lots of) practice.

As for balancing the rig, the settings on the Merlin Cookbook should get you close enough to dynamic balance to be able to use the trim controls to get it spot on - but it needs constant trimming during use.

Once balanced, using the rig is something that people either take to immediately, or quickly give up in frustration - its a physical thing where you almost have to engage in a 'dance' with the rig and always be aware of its position, attitude and movement without constantly watching it.

If you have the knack, you are lucky, but either way you really have to want the steadicam look and be prepared to put in a lot of practice.

Good luck !

Marcus Martell July 8th, 2009 07:18 AM

Tony, thank you for encouraging me....At least i know that i could ask you informations in PM about hte merlin and the z1.
Thx

Tony Neal July 8th, 2009 12:08 PM

Your very welcome - get in touch any time.

Tony

Buba Kastorski July 8th, 2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Neal (Post 1168709)
The Merlin was made for the Z1 - its a perfect combination.

I second that, was flying this combo for quite a while, perfect! even with large battery and small light, you might need to get an accessory plate if you want to use wireless.

Marcus Martell July 8th, 2009 02:38 PM

just trying to set it up 4 da first time,but i didn't get perfectly the english lesson on the training dvd so.....i'm a rookye in trouble

Marcus Martell July 11th, 2009 04:47 AM

Guys, cause i have difficulties with the english instruction could you gimme an hand please?
Maybe my starting problems depend frm adjusting the guide ring.....
What can i do to have the correct number of turns?I read that the merlin was shipped out of the factory with the guide counterclockwise 3 times.Then i have to turn then turn it back...Maybe the mess it's here.....
What do u suggest me to bring in the original position and how many turns should i do?The merlincookbook states 2 as Z.
Sorry guys but i feel very dumb!
On the merlincookbook says to use the npf970,is the biggest battery right?

thx
and have a nice weekend

MM

Charles Papert July 12th, 2009 03:27 AM

Marcus:

Perhaps it would help if you describe the issues with balance that you are having.

The cookbook is helpful to get the the first-time user going right away, but it is important to subsequently learn how to balance from scratch without the cookbook to understand how the system works as you may have to add components in the field and need to be able to compensate.

The Z guide on the handle is meant to be the fine tuning adjustment for top to bottom balancing (after adjusting the arc and adding weights). Once you have about a .5 to 1 second drop time set through those coarse adjustments, you can use the guide to make incremental changes in drop time to arrive at the desired setting (I like 1.5 to 2 seconds).

Marcus Martell July 13th, 2009 01:04 PM

Ok, maybe i'm getting close to the balancement, wich focus settings do u use?A friend of mine of the forum suggested me to use the autofocus,what about u guys?
thx