Canon WD-H72 Wide Angle for FX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #16
Wrangler

Hey Rich. I have been waiting to do a little more thorough evaluation before posting about the mattebox and lens, but here's a brief report.

I am getting some slight vignetting in the upper left corner of the frame, which I assumed came from the mattebox or filter holder. But I did a quick test and it is actually present even without the mattebox. This discussion actually belongs in another thread about the Century .75x lens, and I'll post more there in the next few days.

The mattebox is very nice - really well made and sturdy. Very happy with that. It fits the Century lens perfectly, as expected. It does not seem to be the source of the vignetting, but you can only use one of the filter holders with the WA lens (also expected). With the WA lens, both filter holders can be loaded from above since it sticks out beyond the mic. Plenty of room for the LCD screen - even can store with my Sony LCD hood still attached.

Without the WA lens you use a funnel-shaped 72mm screw-in adaptor to connect. That works fine but is a very tight fit for closing the LCD screen. It closes, but rubs against the rotating filter frame. Using the rods, I can cheat it forward slightly which helps. Filters must load from below (as expected).

More to follow, but this discussion really does not belong in a thread in the Z1 forum about a Canon Lens :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Boyd - Thanks for the update, it sounds like you made a good choice with the matte box as I think many types will have some issues and require some tweaking, the fact that it works with wide angle is good. For the FX1 Schneider Optics do have one that fits it's a MB210 style matte box clamp-on which is the one in the video.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1