Canon WD-H72 Wide Angle for FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon WD-H72 Wide Angle for FX1

Does anyone know if there is a problem using a Canon WD-H72 wide angle lense on an FX1? Is anyone out there using this combo with perhaps a matte box at all?

Thanks,

Rich
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

If you read the reviews on B&H's site, one person notes that the lens elements protrude 1/4" past the threads and it wouldn't fit his camera. Doesn't look like he's talking about an FX1, but it's something to be mindful of: Canon | WD-H72 72mm 0.8x Wide Angle Lens | 1724B001 | B&H Photo

I just got a Century 0.75x for my EX1 - they also make a version of the FX1. It's really nice and full zoom-through but quite a bit more expensive. It is designed to work with their mattebox and sunshade/filter holder.

Sony also makes their own .8x wide lens specifically for the FX1/Z1: Sony | VCL-HG0872X Wide Conversion Lens | VCL-HG0872X | B&H

There is also this version for the z5 which includes a sunshade with french flag and filter holder. People say it also works on the z7. Is the bayonet mount the same size as the fx1 for these models? I think so, but not certain... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...sion_Lens.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the great info on the other lenses Boyd. I have contacted B&H to see if it will thread into the FX1. I am trying to solve 2 problems, first is a wide angle. The canon WAL has great reviews. Also I have a canvision 4x4 bellows matte box I ordered from B&H. Was originaly told it would fit the FX1, but the mic on the camera prevents the first filter stage from rotating. The additional lengh of the WAL should overcome this although vignette might be an issue with the bellows.

Will post back any feedback I get from B&H.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #4
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Perry View Post
Thanks for the great info on the other lenses Boyd. I have contacted B&H to see if it will thread into the FX1.
I'll send a note to the video sales manager to make sure this gets a reply ASAP.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Henry,

I sent an email to B&H but did not hear back yet on that, I already ordered the Wide Angle Lense, will arrive on Wed. I am hoping it will solve the issue with the matte box I mentioned earlier.
Old August 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I received the The Canon WD-H72 Wide angle lens today (72mm) and it does screw into the FX1 will no issues. So far the image quality is great, I am not noticing any barreling or vignette when the lens is wide open, the glass seems to be very high quality and really heavy also. That's the negative as it really adds to front end weight of the FX1. The WD-H72 comes with a shade, lens cover and soft pouch for storing the lens when not in use.

Unfortunately the addition of the lens did not really solve my problems with the bellows 4x4 cavision matte box. Although the filter stage will rotate with the addition of the lense the vignette is pretty bad, the matte box is being returned today and I will have to look around for something more compatible with the FX1.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Wrangler

I spent awhile mulling over mattebox/wide angle decisions for my new EX1 (have been using a Z1 for the past 4 years). I ruled out that bellows model awhile ago out of fear for those exact issues. Cavision makes another one which they recommend for both the FX1 and EX1, and the price is very attractive, but ultimately I decided against it after reading about vignette issues as well.

I finally went with Schneider/Century for everything. They use the same system of 105mm lenses, sunshades and matteboxes for everything. Looks really nice from what I've seen. It was backordered for awhile at B&H, but UPS indicates mine was just delivered to my home so I'll get some firsthand experience in a couple hours! :-)

This is their version for the FX1: DVMB W/A KIT W/15MM SONY/CANON - Schneider Optics

The matteboxes are actually made by Vocas and there is additional info on their site:

VOCAS SYSTEMS BV

Unfortunately, this looks like more of a problem on your camera, if you look at this image: http://www.vocas.com/image/IMG_0763b.gif The microphone is closer than it is on the EX1 (Actually the EX1 is like this with the LCD screen closed, but you have more space when it's open). So this might be a generic problem... THeir MB-210 gives you more room, but you would doublessly have vignette problems with a wide lens: http://www.vocas.com/image/IMG_2267b.gif

You might also find these interesting, the demos appear to be shot with a Z1 or FX1 and their Mattebox: Schneider Optics

I think Sony really had a good idea on the Z7 by using a PD-150 style shotgun mike and a removeable shoe in the place where the FX1 microphone would be. Wish they had done that on the Z1 and EX1!
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Exactly right on the Z1, EX1 and FX1 it makes trying to find a workable solution to a matte box and wide angle lense a bit of a nightmare. I did actually pick up the Schneider filter kit a few weeks ago but I opted for the 3 filters. Schneider | 4x4" Filter Kit | 68884401 | B&H Photo Video

I have not had the chance to use them yet but once I nail down a matte box I will be sure to report back. The Schneider/Century matte boxes look nice, would be very interested to know how yours work out when you get to it. I was looking at some of the Petroff systems also.

The cavision box attracted me because of the price, I have heard good and bad posted on this forum about them, but I thought the overall design and manufacturing was great and much better than I had been lead to believe from postings here. There was an issue with the bellows not being tight at the front and sliping back and forth a bit but could easily be resolved, the rails and other components were very good. It's a shame I could not get it working with the rotating filter stage and the mic, just a no go and even with a bigger adapter ring to push it out more the vingette was apparent.

So mabey I will design my own matte box and have my machinist neighboor manufacture it for me :)
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Perry View Post
I did actually pick up the Schneider filter kit a few weeks ago but I opted for the 3 filters.
I probably should have been a little more clear, sorry. I wasn't really suggesting that you buy their filters, but have a look at the videos where they demonstrate their application. They are using a schneider mattebox and the camera is either a Z1 or FX1. There are some closeups of the camera and mattebox in the video and you can see that the filters (or at least one of them) actually rotate.

For example: http://www.schneidervideo.com/video/ND_Grad.htm
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #10
New Boot

Not to hijack this thread, but does anybody know if the Canon WD-H72 will work on a Canon YH16x7 KRS lens (broadcast camera lens)?? The lens has a 72mm filter diameter. Thanks!
Corey Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Thats a good catch Boyd, yes the camera is definetly a FX1 or Z1 and it's rotating and loaded from the bottom. I was chatting with one of the sales guys from schneider last week and will email him to see whats available for boxes.

Corey as far as the WD-H72 canon wide angle, the only issue I am aware of is that the thread on the lens does not start at the top of the lip like you would expect, it's starts about 4 mm or so deep from the top, so there has to be enough thread on your lens to attatch - see the B&H review on the lens about that issue.
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #12
Wrangler

I don't know personally, but like Rich says and I mentioned above, see: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_8x_Wide.html

Quote:
Bought this wide angle lens to use on a 72mm lens. Unfortunately, it did not fit The distance from the back of the lens to the threads was too deep for any of the 72mm lenses that I have. There is about 1/4" of lens mount before the threads. If the threads were on the outer edge, it would have fit no problem. Unfortunately, I've had to return the unit.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #13
New Boot

Ok, yes that would be a problem with my lens. I don't think I completely understood what you guys were talking about at first, but I get it now. I'll keep searching. I liked the look of this wide angle (with the hood) because it still looks stock when mounted on the camera. Thanks.
Corey Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #14
Wrangler

Century/Schneider is one possible option: Schneider Optics
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Boyd, I was wondering how your new Schneider/Century Matte Box worked out for your EX1 - does it fit correctly with the mic placement, how about vignette with the wide angle lense?
Rich Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1