Z1 discontinued - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alin Avramoni View Post
Sorry to post this: I have to say that Z1u is discontinued, as sony says. Sony Product Detail Page - HVRZ1U
That's odd. I just clicked on the link and it doesn't say anything about being discontinued.

Maybe they brought it back already... like Ford and the Taurus.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi, Charles . . .

The Z1U has been axed by Sony. The link you sent even mentions that it's history. At the very beginning of the overview of the camera the text reads, "Please note: Effective immediately the HVR-Z1U camcorder is discontinued."

Sony is moving on.

Ian Cmapbell
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

We still use those Z1u cameras. It'll be sad to know they're retiring. Great cameras!
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #19
Regular Crew

The first generation Sony cameras such as the Z1U, A1U (and consumer version HC1) were all well thought out and very well built and reliable. I've used all these cameras and loved them. The newer models have had all kinds of issues which the first cameras didn't seem to have. I guess the first models were truly legacy products. I wish I had better luck with the newer additions to the Sony HDV line-up. The first cameras out of the gate are well worth hanging on to.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugi Barr View Post
This is the absolutely singular reason I bought the Z1. So I take it that this niche has not been filled by any of these newer models. Like you, I need the ability to shoot both formats on a regular basis and although Sony would probably like me to buy two different format cameras, I think I could be working with the Z1 for a while yet ...if there are no other options.
What I have heard is the Z1 uses software to do both NTSC & PAL, so which ever one isn't standard for your model could look a little worse.

But if you move up to the Z7 + world cam upgrade (which is pretty cheap, even costs less than most consumer cameras), you can do the NTSC & PAL switched on a more hardware basis, which will provide better picture in either format (is my understanding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I whooped when the Z5 came out as I realised this was the Z1's true successor - until I saw how it performed under the barrage of electronic flash that constitutes an all-day wedding.
I have a Z7 and since it takes a lot less light than the Z1, I think it produces a better picture in low light situations even w/ the flash banding.

Flashes are pretty annoying on CCD or CMOS, and I would take the partial frame flash w/o ANY gain, than a full frame flash + 12db of gain.

I think Sony might lose some people w/ the lack of CCDs on the new cameras, but for all the advantages the new cameras bring at the same price point, I think they are well worth it.

I loved shooting with a Z1, but boy did that baby eat up a lot of light. Add to it that the Z5 & Z7 shoot progressive & accept the CF recorder, I don't miss the Z1 too badly.
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Campbell View Post
Hi, Charles . . .

The Z1U has been axed by Sony. The link you sent even mentions that it's history. At the very beginning of the overview of the camera the text reads, "Please note: Effective immediately the HVR-Z1U camcorder is discontinued."

Sony is moving on.

Ian Cmapbell
Okay. I see it now. Bummer dude. I think I'll keep mine. It's pristine.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
What I have heard is the Z1 uses software to do both NTSC & PAL, so which ever one isn't standard for your model could look a little worse.

But if you move up to the Z7 + world cam upgrade (which is pretty cheap, even costs less than most consumer cameras), you can do the NTSC & PAL switched on a more hardware basis, which will provide better picture in either format (is my understanding).
I have never heard this before, and frankly I find it very difficult to believe. I think it's all just software (or firmware, if you prefer) inside these cameras. I originally bought my Z1 mainly for the PAL capability and did a large PAL project. I never noticed any quality issues there and neither did anyone else. I've never seen a review which indicated that a Z1u shot inferior PAL or a Z1e shot inferior NTSC.

Where did you see this claim? And just what do you think "NTSC & PAL switched on a more hardware basis" means?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1