Z1 discontinued at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 discontinued

Sorry to post this: I have to say that Z1u is discontinued, as sony says. Sony Product Detail Page - HVRZ1U
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, it had a long and useful life... R.I.P.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

Not bad... I think it was on the market for almost five years. I got mine in June 2005 and it is still going strong.

It's odd the way they indicate that it's discontinued in the text there. They still have links to the Z1 on their HDV product page here: Sony | Product Catalog - Sub-Category Landing Page

B&H still has them in stock for $4,200.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That certainly is an "understated obituary..." I would have expected the A1U to go first...

I think this increases speculation that maybe Sony will have some new tapeless cameras coming...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Shame to see the Z1 go but I have my Z5 and Ive got to say its a huge improvement. Mind you one less CCD option which could be bad for some.

Interesting to see what they bring out next.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Wrangler

Seems like they already have a nice HDV handycam lineup with the z5 and z7, both of which can go tapeless. The one niche which the z1 fulfilled was the ability to shoot both PAL and NTSC right out of the box. In fact, I bought my z1 specifically to do a PAL project since I didn't want to sink money into a SD PAL model that I would probably never use again.
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Its been a great camera, it had such a long life!
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I bought a Z1 in 2006 and still get a lot of good use out of it. I recently bought a Z7 and believe that the Z1 shoots an equal quality picture compared to the Z7 except for low-light conditions. I had one opportunity to use the Z1 as a PAL machine when someone from Denmark contracted for services.
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
The one niche which the z1 fulfilled was the ability to shoot both PAL and NTSC right out of the box.
This is the absolutely singular reason I bought the Z1. So I take it that this niche has not been filled by any of these newer models. Like you, I need the ability to shoot both formats on a regular basis and although Sony would probably like me to buy two different format cameras, I think I could be working with the Z1 for a while yet ...if there are no other options.
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I didn't expect to stay with the Z1 for so long, but I wasn't particularly enthralled by the Z7 when it arrived because of its 'rear-end-shunt looks and I didn't need interchangeable lenses that didn't offer a super-wide.

I whooped when the Z5 came out as I realised this was the Z1's true successor - until I saw how it performed under the barrage of electronic flash that constitutes an all-day wedding.

So I'm back to the Z1. The HMC151 looks to be a good replacement but I'm rather against taking sideways steps. The Z1 is just so damn confident.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugi Barr View Post
So I take it that this niche has not been filled by any of these newer models.
Well the EX1 can shoot in 50i and 60i formats, but only as hi definition (although you can downconvert in-camera).
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugi Barr View Post
This is the absolutely singular reason I bought the Z1. So I take it that this niche has not been filled by any of these newer models. Like you, I need the ability to shoot both formats on a regular basis and although Sony would probably like me to buy two different format cameras, I think I could be working with the Z1 for a while yet ...if there are no other options.
Sony has an option you can have them do to the Z7 to add to its capability to shoot PAL. After you buy the camera you can send it in to Sony or an authorized technician and for, if I remember right, $500 they modify it for you. After that it is just like the Z1 shooting both PAL and NTSC.
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Interesting Wesley. Thank you.

"After that it is just like the Z1 shooting both PAL and NTSC".

Can it also shoot PAL/NTSC, DV, DVCAM, 4x3, 16x9, 50i and 60i on to tape and not the dreaded AVCHD?
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Wrangler

AVCHD? Unless I've missed something along the way, the Z7 is an HDV camera just like the Z1. It will record to tape, memory cards, or both simultaneously.

Wesley - thanks. I thought that was possible and even looked around on Sony's site for it before my previous post but couldn't find a reference. Is this also possible with the Z5?
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Z1 and beyond

It held its place in the HD world, Sad to say but my V1 is probably next..... awesome camera though. GM
Garry Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1