DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Sony Pro HDV: Pics of the Pro version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/31769-sony-pro-hdv-pics-pro-version.html)

Frederic Lumiere September 11th, 2004 08:59 PM

Sony Pro HDV: Pics of the Pro version

http://www.global-dvc.org/Sony%20HDV.htm

Heath McKnight September 11th, 2004 11:19 PM

Personally, I might wait for the pro version of the Sony HDV. VERY nice...

A poster and good friend here, Jeremiah Hall, may buy the 24p 3-ccd JVC camera that's been mentioned for a while.

But hey, the Sony HDV is VERY nice, barring a review and a personal hands-on look.

hwm

Christopher C. Murphy September 12th, 2004 08:20 AM

Totally cool...XLR, Zebra..

It says, "MiniDV" on one of the photos if you look close. That tells me the "Pro" version still has the tape drive. (was thinking that it might have been 100% optical, but that probably isn't the case)

Any idea what the "hidden menu" has on it? I really want to know!

Murph

Gary McClurg September 12th, 2004 08:25 AM

It says it has to have the tape drive or it can't be called HDV. Yes I'd like them to just have something I'm not a tech guru so I don't know how'd work but something that you can record to a hard drive and use the tape as back up.

Scott Anderson September 12th, 2004 09:14 AM

The rampant speculation about Blu-Ray optical or solid-state flash media recording just doesn't match up with Sony's history or the evolution of this particular camera.

Sony's history has been pretty consistant with the consumer/pro versions of the cameras: The TRV-900/PD-100. The VX-2000/PD-150. The TRV-950/PDX-10. The VX-2100/PD-170. The pro version typically incorporates XLR inputs, manual audio options, color bars and DVCam recording.

This camera is interesting in that it appears to have been developed as a pro camera first, as seen by the prototype that Sony was showing at NAB. That mockup had the XLR's. I wonder what Sony's motivation was to introduce a consumer version first? Maybe it was just a matter of timing, but it seems that the pro version is ready to go, and will probably be in full swing, ready to ship by NAB 2005 (04/05) if not before.

I also wonder why Sony is releasing a consumer version at all. This camera is bigger in all dimensions than the PD-170, making it a real monster for most consumer-level customers. Sony has got to know that the main customer for this camera is prosumer/pro level, not the birthday party/vacation cam. Did you see the pic with the Japaneese model holding it? This thing is huge!

I expect the pro version will have very few differences other than XLR's, manual audio, maybe a few menu tweaks to make it more pro-friendly. I would love to see a 24p implementation along the lines of the Pana 100a, but I'm not holding my breath. This seems odd to me as when I spoke to the Sony rep at NAB, I asked him what the main feature request he had was, and he said it was overwhelmingly 24p. Maybe Sony was already set on 1080 60i long before NAB.

Even so, this is THE cam for 2005. Indie filmmakers corporate, wedding and industrial videographers are going to line up to buy this camera, and with good reason.

Poor Canon. The XL2 is dead in the water. They should have waited to release the XL-type HDV cam.

Ken Hodson September 12th, 2004 10:35 AM

"Poor Canon. The XL2 is dead in the water. They should have waited to release the XL-type HDV cam."

A lot of people will want to stay with the DV format for a while. Established work flow, decks ect.. Also 16:9 in DV mode as well as the removable lens's. Plus you can't count out all those brand loyal XL1/s owners.

Frederic Lumiere September 12th, 2004 11:19 AM

Ken,

This is why Sony's move to support DV with the 3CCD FX1 is brilliant.

It allows for a true phased migration to HDV.

Scott Anderson September 12th, 2004 01:18 PM

Unless the image on the FX1 is severely dissapointing for some unknown reason, I can't think of a single reason to prefer the XL2. DV compatability? Check. True 16x9? Check. Shoulder mount? Check. Removable lenses? Who needs it? Other than a true 24p, all the XL2 did was improve the customer complaints/wish list that should have been incorporated into the XL1s. When Canon introduced the XL1, they were late to the party, but no one had an alternative. Now, Canon is *really* late to the party, and there are plenty of compelling alternatives. If I only wanted 24p DV, I'd still take a DVX-100a with an anamorphic adapter over an XL2. But to have the option to shoot HDV in the same general price range? Fuggetaboutit.

Heath McKnight September 12th, 2004 02:58 PM

I told my friend Jon that I'm not even interested in the XL-2; my boss at the Film School wanted to buy one (we have two DVX100A's), but I told him to buy the Sony HDV, as a way to offer it to our students. 1080i HDV or 24p DV, both are tantalizing to students, I believe.

heath

Stephen M. Crawford September 12th, 2004 04:31 PM

Hi

I'm just a little bit confused as to why it's described as "NEW PROSUMER HDV / DVCAM". Does this mean it will be switchable between HDV and DVCAM do you think? Or is the HDV a form of DVCAM in it's implementation. I know it might be speculation, but I would be interested to see what those of you with more knowleage/experience than me make of it. I don't understand how it can be both. It does not say DVCAM on the 'consumer' model, at least nowhere I can see in the pics I've seen.

Boyd Ostroff September 12th, 2004 04:49 PM

The consumer version records in both DV and HDV modes. The DV mode is supposed to support both 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic and record at SP and LP speeds. No mention of DVCAM, but maybe they are adding that to the pro version and dropping DV LP? That would be consistent with their other pro/consumer camera pairs like PD-170/VX-2100 and PDX-10/TRV-950.

Christopher C. Murphy September 12th, 2004 05:03 PM

Possible "Pro" version information.

Hey, over at www.hdforindies.com someone posted that they've actually seen the "Pro" version.

I'm quoting, but go look for yourself obviously!

IBC reader report:

"the pro-version (which they had on display, looks & feels nice) is only different to the consumer-version insofar as it can record dvcam and got the xlr-input. no real progressive mode."

It also mentions that the "Pro" camera shoots DVCAM, so there is our 3 hour tape! Also, if it's not recording HDV on DVCAM - what format is it?!! Is it HDV with more megs per second?!

Murph

Ken Hodson September 12th, 2004 07:31 PM

I was under the impression the FX1 shot only 4:3 in DV mode. Removable lens and 24p would be it's other strong points. I am not a fan of the XL2 but I am pointing out reasons why people will buy it. As well it is available now. I don't expect the Fx1 to be mainstream volume befor early next year. I know it has a mid Nov release date in NA but don't kid yourself.

Mark Kubat September 12th, 2004 10:12 PM

"I was under the impression the FX1 shot only 4:3 in DV mode..."

Ken, no offense, really, but if I can save $100 to get a HDV-FX1 with the switch to SD mini-dv disabled, I'd gladly take it. I don't think I'd be using that cam much to shoot SD.

Okay, maybe just once in awhile to remind myself how much better my footage looks than the best resolution possible on an XL2...

Michael Struthers September 12th, 2004 10:15 PM

This "pro" version camera gives me a <symbol of excitement>. I guess Sony's gonna be getting 6k from me (sigh)...unless Panny counters with something in the meantime...