Sony Z1 and FX1 various questions 2004 - 2005 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 15th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #151
Major Player

identical.
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #152
Barry Wan Kenobi

If you're talking about standard-def material, you can import that directly and use the "file format properties" option to remove the pulldown, leaving 24 distinct frames. Still doesn't look like 24p, it has the odd jerky 1/3 - 2/3 motion signature of CF24, but you can edit it as 24 distinct frames.

Your frameserving idea would probably allow doing so for the high-def material (Vegas currently doesn't allow removing pulldown from HD material as far as I know). The motion signature will still be off, but I think it would indeed let you access the individual frames.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #153
Regular Crew

Z1 Rental in Maryland?

Looking for probable 3-day to 1-week rental in Maryland, June 6-10.

Anyone have one around here?

Thanks in advance.
Carl Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #154
Regular Crew

Actually I found a place now -

FWIW:
Video Equipment Rentals
Carl Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #155
Regular Crew

CF30 or SS30

I posted this in another thread and it got burried in other issues so I decided to make my own thread.

Quick Question for those in the know. I've been messing around with just about eveything inside and outside this camera and I have also grown to love CF30. Here's my question:

Is there a drawback to using the cam without CF30 but with the shutter speed set to 30?

To me it looks even better(motion wise) and it looks the same (image qual wise) but the huge advantage gained is that you get twice as much light. For me this is great because the only thing I don't like about my FX1 is how much light it needs. I know that using CF30 can end up costing you vertical resolution so I assume the same is true with a shuttle speed of 30, can anyone verify this?

Thanks in advance,
Eric James
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #156
Regular Crew

As I understand it, a 1/30th shutter speed reduces resolution by 1/2. I do not know whether that means half of the CCD (520 as CF 30 supposedly provides) or half of the resolving power (I've been told that the Z1 only resolves 750-800 lines due to "twitter" and odd things I don't understand about the interlaced format)

It LOOKS to me like it provides one clean field (520 lines, thus giving 520x1440 progressive and twice the light with a nice motion blur) but that just my opinion from looking at it in the store ( I don't own one) I tried just about every option though, and the 1/30th shutter was by far the best.

I just wonder how it transfers to film at 24 frames? Seems like the 1/25th shutter would be better suited... but does that give too much motion blur? (They didn't have a Z1 in the store)

Jeff
Jeff McCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #157
Regular Crew

Z1 SD comparison

Has anyone compared the HDV -> SD 4:3 center-cut output and native 4:3 DV recording? Is this setting only on the analog outputs or does it apply to the HDV>DV 1394 output as well?
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM   #158
Trustee

"istabilize" - software to help with motion sickness on FX1/Z1?

Hey all,

Do you think this software would help with our motion sickness?

http://www.istabilize.de/index.html

It "stabilizes" crappy footage and we only need to to stabilize a little. Maybe it'll help with our problem of shooting high motion and getting strobbing?
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:00 PM   #159
Major Player

Will this work on HDV footage ? It is cheap . I posted about 2 months ago if anyone had used it on dv but got no response - I'd love to hear some feedback also. thanks Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #160
New Boot

Shotgun bracket for FX1

Does anyone add a shotgun mic on FX1? What kind of bracket will fit? I do still need the "show adapter" for lights.

Thank you in advanced.

Eric
Eric Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:16 PM   #161
Trustee

Camera comparison

I might be late on this one, or did someone already mention this comparison test by Walter Graff?

http://www.bluesky-web.com/dv-5-cameras.htm

Intriguing to say the least.

Walter seems a bit biased against HDV though...

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:07 AM   #162
Regular Crew

Camera life expectancy

What sort of service life should we expect from the Z1 before it has to go into the workshop? Do you think there will be a difference to the FX1? Do you have a set number of hours that you schedule check-ups?
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM   #163
Regular Crew

teleconverter lens

Has anyone used something like the Century teleconverter lens on the FX1/Z1 yet, particularly as a portrait lens?
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #164
Regular Crew

Time lapse Record does not exist?

Glancing through the Z1 manual it appears that interval recording is non existant for this camera. All it has is frame record in manual dv/dvcam mode? Has anyone discovered otherwise?

Sheesh..
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #165
Major Player

Shooting road trip "documentary" what mode to use??

Hi all,

This month I'm going on a 3 day road trip with my FX1, and am planning to make a (humorous) documentary of it. I have absolutely NO idea what's going to happen, but I was wondering what mode I should shoot it on - CF30 or 60i - so I thought I'd ask for some advice. The final destination of the footage will primarily be the web (DVD as well - but web first).

My suspicion is that CF30 will provide a much easier workflow and retain better resolution from an in-camera down-convert to DV for editing if I don't have HD editing software by then.

I know 60i is theoretically safer for "run and gun" type stuff... but if I have to deinterlace to 30p for the web, I see little point on making the compression work harder. If I could do native editing I'd for sure go this route.

What say you? How do you like your documentaries?

*note: this isn't going to be some "film-look" documentary... this is going to be a "I was there, and see what you missed" kind of thing.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1