Sony Z1 and FX1 various questions 2004 - 2005 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 16th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #181
Major Player

this apparently means CF25 and not 50i.

NIiiiiIIiiiiice work!

*smile*

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #182
Regular Crew

Gearshift looks like a great plugin for few bucks

The Gearshift plugin from VASST looks like one great plugin for a few bucks.
http://www.vasst.com/gearshift.htm
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:25 AM   #183
Tourist

DV Inputs on HVR-Z1

Hi - I'm hoping someone knows about the DV capabilities of this camera. I'm based in the UK, where thanks to odd tax laws the "DV in" facility of most cameras is disabled at the manufacture stage if they're to be sold in the UK (if a camera can record via DV, its not classed as a camera - its a VTR, and VTR's have import quotas applied. See what we have to put up with here!). This means I need a separate deck to record masters to once edited. Working in both NTSC and PAL this means hiring lots of cameras and decks as required! If I'm right, I could source this camera in the US, which will allow me to shoot in both PAL and NTSC, and record masters back to tape in their respective formats once done. The price of a return ticket to NY or Boston would be about 2 months worth of hire fees, so it's worth while.

Also if anyone knows about masting HD footage back to tape I'd really appreciate and info, or any links, that deal with that.
Oli Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:27 AM   #184
Trustee

Both the FX1 and the Z1 are bi-directional DV via Firewire.
I use it as a deck when needed...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:16 PM   #185
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin
Sound Devices MM-1: anyone used it with FX1? Results?

xlr on fx1? i want more info on this device as well

thanks
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #186
Major Player

Composite video RCA plug upgrade

This is no great revelation that the RCA plugs on the Sony camera cords are not that great. Because they don't have a split ring to apply tension to the jack, they are often intermittent--- alway gives you a quesy feeling when you are using an external monitor having the video cutting out.

I just replaced the plug with a good quality one, not a big deal. Just cut off the end and soldier a new one. Don't forget the shrink tubing, because the wire is a bit delicate.

Someone should make a cord that is longer (6-10 feet) and of good quality.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #187
Major Player

New Lens Adapters

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrfx1/index.htm

http://www.digitaletc.com/go/products/Wide_Angle

new 800 USD fisheye adapter for FX1 with something like 3,600 line horizontal resolution

This is low end brand, but some of FX1 lenses appear be high quality. The fisheye may not out yet and 800 USD may be list price.
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #188
Major Player

http://www.don-sara-parsons.com/raynox/cvtu.html

656 USD 0.21x fisheye

270 USD 2.2x tele adapter
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #189
Regular Crew

miniDVCAM vs MiniDV...which should I use?

I'm a little confused (my typical state of being) about what type of tape stock to use. My understanding is that the miniDVCAM (SonyDigital Master) runs faster (shorter record time), is better quality, and has fewer drop-outs and glitches. The Z1 manual shows MiniDV tape as the stuff to use for SD DV and HDV, and DVCAM for shooting in SD DVCAM mode. Can't I, nay, shouldn't I be using the Sony Digital Master miniDVCAM tape for ALL my HDV work? If so, where's a good place to buy such tape stock (i.e., get good bulk rates).

Cheers!

Andrew Stone
A. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #190
Regular Crew

It is not that the miniDVCAM tape itself runs faster. It is the camera when in DVcam mode which runs faster. Put a miniDV tape and put the camera in DVcam modem and that tape will run as fast as if you had a DVcam tape inside.

The manufacturer says to use HDV and Digital Master tape when recording in HDV mode. However, there is a thread in here of people reporting interesting findings when using other types of tapes with the Z1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone
I'm a little confused (my typical state of being) about what type of tape stock to use. My understanding is that the miniDVCAM (SonyDigital Master) runs faster (shorter record time), is better quality, and has fewer drop-outs and glitches. The Z1 manual shows MiniDV tape as the stuff to use for SD DV and HDV, and DVCAM for shooting in SD DVCAM mode. Can't I, nay, shouldn't I be using the Sony Digital Master miniDVCAM tape for ALL my HDV work? If so, where's a good place to buy such tape stock (i.e., get good bulk rates).

Cheers!

Andrew Stone
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:20 PM   #191
Regular Crew

upcoming Panasonic HVX200 vs. Sony FX1/Z1U

Hello everyone,

I am a proud and happy Z1U owner, but I have two key questions relating to the upcoming Panasonic HVX 200 "24P" HD camera. These questions also relate to the Sony Z1U. That's why I'm posting my questions in this forum:

[1] Does anyone know if the Panasonic 200 will be able to shoot time-lapse or interval recording. This is something I wish the Z1U could do. The Z1U already produces a splendid picture, if only I could shoot time lapse with it.

[2] Does anyone know if the Panasonic 200 has anything like the Z1U's awesome "shot transition feature".

- Nicholas

Last edited by Nicholas Natteau; May 3rd, 2005 at 11:21 PM. Reason: title fix
Nicholas Natteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #192
Barry Wan Kenobi

Time lapse was specifically mentioned, yes, but I don't recall the details of it.

As for shot transition -- I don't think I've heard any talk of that. I would guess it's not on the feature list.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #193
Major Player

2 and 4-channel zoom mic for FX/Z1

Can you take two AT897's or 815b's, mount them at angle against each other, get excellent stero pickup? How 80 deg. on 897 and 50 deg. on 812b? What would be the proper angles; is there a cameara mount for that? At what piont would they cross each other?

Is there way to get signal from camera to start stop mini disc recorder so 2 additional channels could be added?

What about Sony stereo and 4-channel consumer shotgun microphones that cost 100-150 USD. Are they good? Sometimes need to record stereo and camera mounted stereo shotgun mic would be perfect but I don't want to spend some 700 USD for stero AT model.

Is there way to make 897 record wider pattern, rather than switching mics? Can cover part of microphone and get quality sound but with wider pickup - supercardioid, cardioid, onmidirectional? It would be nice if sleve could be made you would slide on mic and vary pickup pattern this way. If someone has instruments to measure frequency response and directivity this way, it would really nice. I had older Sony consumer shotgun mike once and it had 3 pickups and you could switch from wide to narrow pattern. It had three settings. Maybe someone could hack AT and figure how to switch pickups to get various patterns. Can you get Service Manual for 897?
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #194
Major Player

YUV to VGA converter?

Is there device to convert uncompressed output of FX/Z1 camera to signal that will be accepted by monitors?

I saw used monitors for graphic computer systems that have 3 BNC input connectors. Ones I saw were used Sony 21" with fixed 60 Hz frequency and 1280xsomething resolution. Would work with Sony HDV camera?

Radek
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #195
Major Player

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?optio...d=67&Itemid=28

I found this. It was talked before, here. It says 60Hz. Would it work with 1080-50i?

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1