Sony Z1 and FX1 various questions 2004 - 2005 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:36 PM   #121
New Boot

Small discovery

If you flip the LCD screen around so the screen is now on top and lock it closed, both screen and viewfinder operate at the sme time.
It may help to know this for some shooting positions.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:42 PM   #122
Obstreperous Rex

Chris refers to the FX1.

The Z1 already allows for the LCD & EVF to be on at the same time.

Thanks Chris,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #123
Regular Crew

does the Z1U do interval recording/time lapse???

Does anyone know whether the Z1U does interval recording or time lapse recording???

Strangely enough I didn't notice this feature in HDV mode or in DV mode. Am I missing something? All Sony video camera I know of have this feature including low end consumer models.

My VX2000 had it. I'm sure I'm missing something. Perhaps it's tucked away in some menu???

Thanks in advance,

- Nicholas
Nicholas Natteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #124
Regular Crew

It only does it in DV mode. Check out the menu settings while the camera is in DV recording mode.
Derek Serra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #125
Major Player

Z1U "Use real LithiumInfo Batteries" warning...

YES, the Z1U says the same thing.

Remember those batteries I bought that were LithInfo ready?

Well, I bought 2 more just so I could have 4 total (just in case I am shooting in the desert, lol)

The two new bateries came on Saturday and all four are IDENTICAL in design, size, labeling, color, plastic molding, etc...

Well, 1 of the 2 new ones was defective or someting because the charger wouldn't give any information on the battery.

So I popped it on the camera, and low&behold...that warning came up immediately. Needless to say, I returned to the company for a replacement.

So the moral of the story is....for the FX1 AND the Z1, you may use any battery type other then Sony, so long as it is LithiumInfo compatible. To test this, just pop it on your charger and if the charger gives you battery details in a few moments, you are all good. Or, pop it on the camera and hit the Battery Info button while the camera is off. if it gives you battery info, you're all good.

otherwise...sorry.

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #126
Wrangler

I know this issue also came up with the PD-170. People reported that third party batteries which worked fine on the PD-150 generated an error message on the 170. However, I also read that the message was only displayed the first time you put the battery on the camera. Evidently if you shut the camera off after the error message, and left the battery in place, then the next time you powered up everything worked.

This is all anecdotal, I don't have personal experience....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #127
Regular Crew

HELP dub timecode with downconvert?

Trying to do a dvcam downconvert to a PD150 via ilink and retain the timecode - without success. Has anyone tried this?
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #128
Tourist

Tested: HZ1 vs F900 and Varicam!

Hello,

I'm not going to steal Mike Curtis' thunder, but I don't know how many of you follow his excellent blog site www.hdforindies.com.

In a few days (or maybe even a week or more), Mike will be unveiling the results of our HD/SD shootout we had today at 501 Studios in Austin.

Basically, we shot a variety of sound-stage shots with a male and female cast, and then some outdoor stuff. This was all very controlled conditions, and each shooter set his camera to what he/she considered optimal for the conditions.

The cameras present were my Z1U, the Varicam, the HDW-F900, a Canon XL2, and a DVX100A. We all grouped tightly together, and each shot was slated so that we can do relatively frame-accurate comparisons. (I shot 50i for most of it...better compression, and better for 24p conversion.)

I had an indirect comparison with the F900 a week or so ago, and I was astonished at how close it actually did get, though Mike's eyes were apparently a bit more discerning than mine. :-) Or maybe it was just my zeal. (There's already a write-up about it on Mike's blog.)

Anyway, it looked really really good, and I think all you Z1/FX1 shooters will have your purchase decisions even further vindicated when Mike is finished putting it all together.

Just a heads-up...keep watching his site for the results to be posted.

-John

John A. Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:31 AM   #129
Regular Crew

Sounds difficult to achieve with a PD150. I suppose you can't set it to EXT timecode for recording?
One way would propably be taking the material to a non-linear editor, and "black-out" your tape with the correct timecode with some tape recorder or camera that is capable of doing that, and then edit to tape from the right timecode.
Joonas Kiviharju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM   #130
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks John,

Mike's most excellent blog is permalinked (gotta love that blogospeak) from my Resources page at www.hdvinfo.net. See you at SXSW hopefully!

Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:17 PM   #131
Trustee

New HDV Handle Bracket For Sony HVR-Z1U

Pretty expensive for such a little piece! But, I thought I'd post the product here anyway:

http://www.vfgadgets.com/HDV-HDHandle.html
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM   #132
Obstreperous Rex

To me it looks like it's priced right. Thanks for sharing this Murph,

Old March 4th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #133
Tourist

Will fx-1 wide angle adapter work with lens shade?

I'm just wondering if adding the Century Optics .6 adapter to the fx-1 means you can't use the lens shade with the camera. I'm planning to do some serious outdoor shooting and would like to have the lens shade and wide angle adapter if possible. Any thoughts would be helpful.

JD
Jason Lehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #134
Obstreperous Rex

With the wide-angle adapter attached, you could either add a clamp-on matte box or add a matte box with rails. Then you put an eyebrow on the matte box and you're all set. Another solution is to take the adapter to a photo retailer; they might have a hood that will fit.

Old March 4th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #135
Regular Crew

FX1 sighting - on SPEED channel

I'm a racing freak and the F1 season started this weekend. After Juan Pablo Montoya finished his qualifying lap Friday night (Sat in Austrailia) Speed cut to a shot of the team in his garage. Walking in was a guy shooting with an FX1 (no shotgun clamp).

Damn, I wish I had that kind of access!
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1