Will the Sony convert HD to SD on the fly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 16th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Will the Sony convert HD to SD on the fly?

I couldn't find the answer to this question.

Could one shoot in HDV with this camera, but then output a downsampled DV signal to any non-linear editing system?

That is...shoot in HD---but treat the footage as standard DV(I assume anamorphic 16:9) for editing in ANY editing program?

Will the camera do the conversion on the fly?
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Er... hmmm... interesting question. I *think* the answer's going to be no, but we won't know until we get it and try.

The FX1 will downsample HD footage to SD for output on the analog video ports, so it will downsample on the fly for viewing on a television or standard-def monitor (and I guess theoretically you could hook up a deck to those ports and capture the footage in native DV mode, but why bother...)

However, it would seem doubtful as to whether it would downsample from HDV to DV for output on the firewire port, since HDV is meant to be streamed out the firewire port...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

I agree; the fun about this board right now is the speculation, much like the HD1/HD10 board 1.5 years ago.

Once we get the cameras, like the HD1/HD10s, we'll be reporting cool stuff, problems, solutions, etc.

And don't be afraid to call tech support for answers, then report them here!

heath
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #4
Major Player

If the FX1 is anything like the HD1 then I'd say no also. I've tried that many times before on the HD1.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

"The FX1 will downsample HD footage to SD for output on the analog video ports, so it will downsample on the fly for viewing on a television or standard-def monitor (and I guess theoretically you could hook up a deck to those ports and capture the footage in native DV mode, but why bother...)"

BARRY: You answered a very important question that I was looking for. But... if I record in HDV and connect the HDR-FX1 to a 4:3 SD monitor, will the image look streched or will I see it letterboxed?

If I can see it letterboxed, I think it's a winner. Why? Because in event videography we sell "memories for a lifetime, so future generations can re-live the moment, etc". So, I can shoot HDV, edit on HDV, and master it on HDV. Then, if the client doesn't have HD today, we can handle them SD letterboxed versions for viewing today and an HDV master dubb so they can take full advantage of their wedding video 5 or 10 years from now when SD monitors will no longer exist. And all this, with just one version edited - no need for a SD master and a HDV master.

Is this the way it will work?
Edwin Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

Can't say for sure, but I'd be no, because I'd bet that they are expecting you to have a 16x9 monitor hooked up to the analog ports. Maybe they will provide for an automatic letterbox mode, but I don't know...

Of course, if you're mastering to DVD then it won't be a problem because you could always just give them a widescreen DVD, and the DVD player will take care of letterboxing it for you.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

When playing back HDV footage from the HD10 on a regular NTSC TV, it is indeed letterboxed. I'm 100% sure VHS and DVD copies will be in 16x9!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1