DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Pro version to have 46 differences from Consumer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/33066-pro-version-have-46-differences-consumer.html)

Christopher C. Murphy October 6th, 2004 02:35 PM

"Pro" version to have "46 differences" from "Consumer"

I just read something from another forum that "Pro" version will have "46 differences". This information was provided from someone who visited the Government Expo in WA.

If there are even HALF that amount of differences and they're all improvements - I am waiting for the "Pro" verison. Anyone else thinking that too?

Murph

Boyd Ostroff October 6th, 2004 03:46 PM

That is tantalizing. OTOH, when the PD-170 was released I recall that two of the improvements they cited were a strap for the iLink cable and a new color scheme ;-)

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2004 04:49 PM

I'm at Govt Video Expo and had a sneak peek at the pro version, for which there isn't a model number yet. It's black, so it must be "pro." The presenter showed a working pre-production sample and mentioned the "46 differences." Among them, a 24fps mode, XLR inputs, manual audio pots on the body, pre-set focus positions, DVCAM and more. I haven't seen an FX1 yet so I can't compare it to anything. This pro model is very, very nice; should be a big hit for Sony at under $7k.

Christopher C. Murphy October 6th, 2004 05:00 PM

Dubba, dubba, dubba...ahh...what?!

Double take here -- did you just say "24fps mode"?

If that's the case then Sony is releasing a legendary camera, and I officially challenge Canon/JVC and everyone else to respond to it! It's starting to feel like a buyers market for 2005.

Murph

Barry Green October 6th, 2004 06:18 PM

The consumer model also has a 24fps mode ("Cineframe 24"). So how does the pro version differ? Did they incorporate true progressive scan?

Mark Kubat October 6th, 2004 06:45 PM

Chris, did they show footage? how'd it look?

Chris, certainly they must have had some sort of demo footage on HD displays - how did it look?

thanx!

Paul Henley October 6th, 2004 08:48 PM

There was also mention of the pro version being released in January. Any truth to that?

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2004 09:25 PM

I was told the pro version will be out in Jan. Yes they were running demo material, and I thought it looked superb. But were they showing HDV or HDCAM in its place as a substitute? I'd like to believe it was HDV. Sony's biggest problem with this camera will be its ability to meet the demand for it.

Maybe the presenter was confused (or maybe I'm confused; I'm so easily confused) and the reference was to 25fps not 24fps. But really, what's the difference? None that you could see. More pro version info coming up,

Michael Pappas October 6th, 2004 10:13 PM

Get all the info you can Chris! If I knew you were going, I would have made my list for you. Ask the Sony people if the footage there showing is from the HDV camera. Also ask them if the 24fps is the same as cineframe on the pro-sumer and if not what are the differences........

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2004 10:23 PM

Michael you're not out driving that car? What's the deal?

Here are some differences in the pro version... not 46 but a few: black body, XLR Inputs, separate recessed audio volume controls, Time Code preset, camera switchable between 50 Hz /60 Hz, simultaneous use of LCD display and EVF, EVF switchable between B&W and color, Hyper Gain, zoom display w/numbers, hours meter, Audio Noise Reduction, audio limiter, action safe zone display. That's all I've got for tonight.

Michael Pappas October 6th, 2004 10:34 PM

Fast response Chris! I was out, and driving the speed limit too..hmmmmm :-). I came back from having dinner with Bob & Barb. Can't wait tell you come to LA in December for DVexpo. It's been to long as usual... Thanks for the info. This camera is sounding sweeter everyday. Your my eye's and ears looking at that camera...................

Rob Lohman October 7th, 2004 03:22 AM

Camera switchable between 50 and 60 Hz... now that sounds
interesting. So if I interpret this correctly the camera is both PAL/
NTSC compatible in one? Yes I know the HD format is one standard,
but I assume it can downsample it to both? Can the SD mode
record in both? That would be a very interesting feature as well.

Mark Kubat October 7th, 2004 05:26 AM

is the "glass" any different?

Chris, a lot of speculation that maybe even the glass (ie. higher quality lens to better suit HD) on the pro version will be different/ie. superior to what is on the consumer version to justify the significantly higher price - any way you can find out if the lens element is different?

thanks Chris - your reporting from gvexpo is the best i've seen on the net so far - and believe you me, we've been out looking....

thank you for your excellent work!

your post hinted under $7k - so, like, how much under $7? Can you elaborate a bit?

also, any hint how close software support on pc side is coming from the vendors that initially announced support (ie. ulead, adobe, sony vegas) etc.?

so many questions... only 1 day left at expo...

please chris, give us more!

K. Forman October 7th, 2004 05:43 AM

I read about this cam in this month's DV mag... It doesn't shoot 24fps, but it will playback at 24 fps to emulate film.

If it had interchangeable lenses, I'd give it a go... It's a sweet little cam.

Chris Hurd October 7th, 2004 06:09 AM

I'm not even sure that I can get back into that suite today but I'll try!