Who knows if ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 18th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Who knows if ?

..the fx-1 can record in hdv then playback and convert to dv thru the firewire.There's been some discussion but I haven't seen an authoritative answer. thanks - Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Major Player

No, I don't think so.

If this were the case, you wouldn't need the software companies like Ulead and Adobe etc. endorsing the cam the day it was announced in September promising new HDV-plugins to support the HDV stream coming down the firewire.

I think it goes like this: shoot mini-dv, SD goes down the firewire, use your software as normal.

Shoot HDV mode - the HDV goes down the firewire instead, your capture utility right now will get confused and you won't be able to do diddly until the patches come out or now get something like that pricey third party Cineform Aspect/Connect HD stuff on PC or Lumiere HD on Mac.
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Mark - in chris murpheys' thread entitled " Has anyone seen this pdf before ? I haven't " - on the downloaded brochure it states in the middle of the 4th page " high-performance down conversion function ". That sounds to me as if it converts hdv to dv on the fly ? thanks- Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

Well I suppose that could also mean that it down-converts the image when recording in SD mode. But the specs also list a menu option for setting firewire output to DV or HDV. This sort of implies that firewire can be configured independently of recording mode.

I suspect we may have to wait a few more weeks until people start getting their hands on production model cameras before we get a definitive answer...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurth Bousman : Mark - in chris murpheys' thread entitled " Has anyone seen this pdf before ? I haven't " - on the downloaded brochure it states in the middle of the 4th page " high-performance down conversion function ". That sounds to me as if it converts hdv to dv on the fly ? thanks- Kurth
It would almost certainly mean that it'll downconvert HD to SD on the analog outputs (the JVC HD1 also does this)... but the question remains, does it downconvert for the firewire output. And for that answer, Boyd's probably right, we'll have to wait for the production models before someone can authoritatively answer.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, current users can't seem to capture HDV without new plugins!

Kurihara mentions in his post that he can only capture dv avi's in his Canopus - that HDV capture is not possible.

Maybe I mis-understand your question - so there may be some in camera down-conversion to SD from HDV before it's piped down out through the firewire for capture? Would this mean the quality of the footage would be compromised?

I'm looking forward to the imminent release of plug-ins from the likes of Ulead that will allow me to capture "HDV" so I can edit native HDV 1080i in my current Sony Vegas 5...

I guess it's cool having a great SD cam built into the FX1 but I'll be honest - the only time I'll be hitting that "DV" button will be by accident once I get this cam...

HDV all the way!
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Boyd, I'm wondering about DV/HDV out in menu

Maybe you have to just tell the cam if you're pumping out HDV or mini-dv when capturing - like how you can set the "DV out" on Panny DVX100 to "off" if for some reason you want to disable it.

Cam probably can't tell what type of encode is on the tape - if it should try to pump out HDV to capture or SD.

Gosh, the cam can already do so much "on-the-fly" - could it really downconvert HDV to SD to pump out SD for capture through firewire? Wouldn't that take a lot of processing power?

I'm starting to think that this option in menu is like a "gate."

As for Kurth, I'd suspect the on-the-fly downconvert is analog out only - but that's just my guess...

Hey, you telling me Sony could do on-the-fly firewire downconversion and somehow forget to put XLR's on this baby?

Well, here's hoping!
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

"What is worth mentioning "i.LINK transforms" this function to provide"HDR-FX1" to transform the HDV signal the DV signal, the affiliation ’[Žq outputs from DV PC, all may control remotely on the general DV editing software and pick up, with connection general DV camera not different. When this function closure time this machine only outputs HDV1080i MPEG the TS signal, this must penetrate supports HDV the editing software to be able to pick up."

This is a babelfish translation of the pdf. Read it slowly, quite clearly Sony have done something very clever here !!

Also check the jpg of the menu options... more proof ?!

http://www.dvworld.com.tw/testreport/FX1_TEST_2/fx1_input.jpg

All looks good, I guess us early adopters of this new gear will still be DV editing for some time (until Adobe etc come up with the goods!), but can still be capturing at HDV to futureproof the raw material.

Anyone with any other / counter evidence on this ?

Thanks,
Dave. (first post here !!)

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1