DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   When will the announcement come? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/33823-when-will-announcement-come.html)

Joel Guy October 22nd, 2004 06:30 AM

When will the announcement come?

Does anyone know when in November Sony plans on announcing the specs for the Z1? Or even, early or late November?

I was all set to buy an XL2, and then this camera had to come along and ruin everything. Now, it's all up in the air again.

But if the camera is missing certain key options, I'll just go ahead and buy the XL2; hence my impatience with the announcement of Z1 features.

Come on Sony!!

Rob Lohman October 22nd, 2004 07:22 AM

Usually no-one knows or those that do can't say. Have you seen
our preliminary feature set comparison? Check it out:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php

Otherwise the golden rule still applies. If you NEED a (new)
camera now, then buy it now and upgrade later. If you don't,
then you can wait to see what comes out.

Keep in mind that the Z1 will not see the day of light until early
next year. Personally I would not simply make a buying decision
on just a spec list. I want to see footage, here what others have
to say and most importantly see the camera for myself.

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2004 07:37 AM

Since I don't really need a new HDV camera until next May, I'll wait for the Z1. If I DID need it now, then it's the FX1.

heath

Joel Guy October 22nd, 2004 07:49 AM

I know I want either the Canon XL2 or the Z1, but since I don't need the camera until next spring, I can wait. However, when the Z1 is officially announced, if it is missing certain key features, or doesn't seem quite worth the money, I will go ahead and buy the Canon now. I saw that spec sheet, but really what I'm waiting for is some kind of confirmation or rejection of the rumors of different CCD's and 24p. And a more thorough description of just how the FX1 performs, especially Sony's fake 24p option.

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2004 07:55 AM

I can sum it up best for you:

XL2=DV (480 lines of resolution), but 24p.

Z1=HDV (1080 lines of resolution), maybe not "true" 24p, but you can convert 1080i to 24p easily with all sorts of solutions, like DVFilm Maker and others.

heath

Mark Kubat October 22nd, 2004 08:02 AM

you won't get it before FX1 arrives on the market...

Sony is being tight-lipped - why blow smoke about the pro Z1 before you've even launched the FX1?

"Early-adoptors" of FX1 will test out the 3-chip HDV waters for Sony and I'm sure they have not even finalized a lot of details - they will wait to hear what is "good" about FX1 and what isn't.

Chris Hurd reported last night that "Z1" hasn't even been finalized as official model no. of pro version - that's how wishy-washy the whole scenario is...

If Sony confirmed specs like 24p and better resolution/lens on pro, then of course we'd all just wait till spring and emerge from hibernation all hot and bothered....

No one would buy the FX1... well, maybe "consumers" would...

But now, this way, Sony can keep us guessing and meanwhile when your competitor down the street wins out over you on a gig next month because they can "do HD" and you're still sitting on the fence wondering about the pro specs - that impulse to buy the FX1 will certainly make for a long winter...

Aha, but who will give in to temptation?

I'm eager too, but I can wait. My DVX100 will do me fine until the pro-specs are announced. If the pro doesn't live up to the hype, I just get the cheapie FX1 after everyone else, albeit I'll probably get PAL version...

Must-haves for me to consider going pro: true 24p and hopefully better resolution (if that means "better lens," or "better ccd block", so be it)

Switchable 60i/50i and xlr's is not enough to do it for me for that money.

Oh, but wait, I'll be able to have EVF on at the same time as the LCD, so actually.... hmmmm...

Chris Hurd October 22nd, 2004 08:37 AM

Don't expect even an announcement about the Z1 (or whatever the pro version of the FX1 will be called) before the beginning of next year. That camera isn't even due to ship until the Spring of 2005. At DV Expo this winter, Sony will be showing the FX1 but I very much doubt they'll say anything about the pro model.

If you have something to shoot now, then now is always the best time to buy. You could pick up an FX1 in November, and then sell it when the pro version is released. I'll bet the FX1 holds its resale value very well.

Rob Lohman October 23rd, 2004 04:10 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Guy : but since I don't need the camera until next spring, I can wait. -->>>

So why would you want to buy the XL2 now then? It will be
a cheaper camera next year, and since you don't need it now....