DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Raw HDR-FX1 mpeg2 files are posted. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/33865-raw-hdr-fx1-mpeg2-files-posted.html)

Frederic Lumiere October 30th, 2004 01:09 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kaku Ito : Frederic,

Could you please confirm about the following? Does LumiereHD version 1.2 capture footage from HDR-FX1 at 1080i with no modification in the data? -->>>

Yes, you are correct, the captured footage from the FX1 with Lumiere HD 1.2 isn't modified.

Frederic

Karel Bata October 30th, 2004 02:25 PM

This thing of the pulsating lights in the night shots...

Is that something that can be fixed on location? On a film camera (sorry, but that's where I'm from) you tweak the camera speed a smidgen, or adjust the camera shutter angle (usually 180 degrees does the trick). But on a video camera such as this are you stuck with this one frame rate that's non-tweakable?

Karel Bata October 30th, 2004 05:39 PM

Another question:

Those of you who are able to view Kaku's footage (I can, but it stutters a bit) what kind of systems have you got?

How much of an upgrade are the rest of us going to have to make to edit this stuff?

Best regards

John C. Chu October 30th, 2004 06:31 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Karel Bata : Another question:

Those of you who are able to view Kaku's footage (I can, but it stutters a bit) what kind of systems have you got?

How much of an upgrade are the rest of us going to have to make to edit this stuff?

Best regards -->>>

I viewed it fine on a stock 1ghz Apple eMac at work. Nothing fancy(and not the fastest Mac out there)...but VLC plays the clip fine.

The footage is jaw dropping..in terms of "bang for the buck" and "quantum leaps"...this camera is it.

Michael Wisniewski October 30th, 2004 07:38 PM

>> How much of an upgrade are the rest of us going to have to make to edit this stuff?

I've been editing and converting Kaku's files in Vegas 5 using a P4 2.4Ghz machine and it works, but playback in Vegas/Media Player 9 can be stuttery/jerky especially in Vegas. Though converted files play back great, of course.

My understanding is that Cineform's file format is the way to go for editing and post production work. It captures and converts the MPEG-2 video into an avi file.

From what I've read, the Cineform file format takes up 25-50 GB of space for every hour of MPEG-2 video and it uses 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0. It looks like there's a plug-in for both Vegas and Premiere Pro.

Kaku Ito October 30th, 2004 08:57 PM

Don,

I can't agree with you more.

From my prior test with other cams on 24 frame mode, I'm not too concern about 24 frame mode neither, but if the target is converting the footage to film, I guess some people needs to find out how this cam does on 24 frame.

I decided to buy this cam after the test I did at Ginza, and it is 1080i format, AND anamorphic DV should be better than PDX10 or certainly VX2100(have to test on this matter). The use 30 frame for less detailed shots when sound or the message has to be expressed.

Kaku Ito October 30th, 2004 09:06 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frederic Haubrich : <<<-- Originally posted by Kaku Ito : Frederic,

Could you please confirm about the following? Does LumiereHD version 1.2 capture footage from HDR-FX1 at 1080i with no modification in the data? -->>>

Yes, you are correct, the captured footage from the FX1 with Lumiere HD 1.2 isn't modified.

Frederic -->>>

Frederic,

That is great. How is developing going on 1.5?
What I can report to you is that your LumiereHD 1.2 seems to capture FX1 footage no promlem. Since LumiereHD 1.2's converting function is not supported with captured FX1 clips, I'm using MpegStream to convert to say Decklink 8bit or DVC PRO HD files, however it results in missing frames in the part with a lot of motion.

Kaku

Frederic Lumiere October 30th, 2004 09:11 PM

Kaku,

We are moving along. Lumiere HD 1.5 will be compatible with the FX1, the Pro version and the Sony HDV Deck.

I'm curious how you got Lumiere HD? Did you buy it from a reseller in Japan?

Frederic

Kaku Ito October 30th, 2004 09:41 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frederic Haubrich : Kaku,

We are moving along. Lumiere HD 1.5 will be compatible with the FX1, the Pro version and the Sony HDV Deck.

I'm curious how you got Lumiere HD? Did you buy it from a reseller in Japan?

Frederic -->>>

Great. Let me know if you need external beta testing. I have most of the key CPUs and hardware for testing. Also, I've been a beta tester of very famous music software for over 10 yearsl, so I know all of the NDA stuff.

I purchased your software from your website under my name soon after I got my FX1. I could help you in Japanese on your website or distribute your software in Japan. Check out my company site for my business. CreativeSuite (in Japanese but you can see what we sell).

Karel Bata October 31st, 2004 05:26 AM

Kaku,

Is that night footage pulsating light fixable on location with your camera? It would be a drag to have to run at 30fps for some locations if the rest of the footage is at 24 or 25.

(BTW What music package do you use? Just curious.)

Michael,

Thanks. Is that conversion to avi lossless?

Kaku Ito October 31st, 2004 05:41 AM

Karel,

That stuff is talked about in the earlier posts in this thread, but what FX1 has is a de-flicker menu to turn on/off. I hear the Z1 would have selectable.

I use MOTU Digital Performer for the serious stuff and SoundTrack for the quickies. I sometime use SoundTrack for auditioning loops and build and mix on DP.

<<<-- Originally posted by Karel Bata : Kaku,

Is that night footage pulsating light fixable on location with your camera? It would be a drag to have to run at 30fps for some locations if the rest of the footage is at 24 or 25.

(BTW What music package do you use? Just curious.)

Michael,

Thanks. Is that conversion to avi lossless? -->>>

Karel Bata October 31st, 2004 06:19 AM

Kaku,

I use ProTools and Cubase. Dabbling with Reason. Audition is good for - uh - auditioning, and tweaking / conversions. Just bought a Mackie Baby HUI - I love those motorised faders!

I read the stuff on the flicker earlier in the post (in fact -and I'm gonna have to boast here but it is Sunday morning- with my background as a film DOP I spotted what was causing it immediately). I just wanted to know know if it was curable. Can you possibly do a test the next time you're shooting in the street at night? A nice old sodium street lamp will do very well...

A really demanding test would be a TV set in a shop window lit by HMI lamps, with a sodium lit street reflected in the glass.

Nah, impossible...

Kaku Ito October 31st, 2004 07:10 AM

No, Karel, I don't use "Audition", I was writing about it for a magazine. I use "Soundtracks" for auditioning loops.

As far as getting out to shoot something, if I happened to be in the situation, I might be able to, but I'm sorry it is hard to make time to do it.
If I come across with anything similar that you are talking about, I will capture and post it.

Karel Bata October 31st, 2004 07:27 AM

I'll check 'soundtracks' out.

I hope you realise I was joking about the TV set scenario...

But I am concerned about the flicker removal function:
does it work?
Does it degrade the image? (for instance -and ironically- flicker removal can give film camera video-assist images a 'filmic look'! Quite amusing when the clients walk in and say "Are these the rushes? They look really good.")
What happens when you are in a situation with different discharge lights taking their frequency from different sources?
What happens if you pan across a room and an out of focus TV set (with its own flicker rate) enters and leaves frame? Or a neon light?
Does this function modify the camera frame rate? Or the 'shutter angle'?

I'm concerned because I plan to do a lot of night shooting (because I hate early mornings!)

I could do a search to see what other cameras do, but experience tells me that the only way to know is to run a test with the actual camera you are going to use. Especially if it's a new format.

Still, I can appreciate you're busy, and my thanks again for what you've done so far.

Karel

Michael Wisniewski October 31st, 2004 02:44 PM

>>> Is that conversion to avi lossless?
Don't know the answer, but you can read more about it here Cineform Technology page.