Raw HDR-FX1 mpeg2 files are posted. - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 31st, 2004, 03:53 PM   #166
Regular Crew

"Visually lossless quality..." it says...

Does that have a proper technical definiton? Or is it "Bet you can't spot the difference." Not quite lossless then.

And $999. Hmm...
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:53 AM   #167
Trustee

HDV and DV comparison files are posted. Also, look under the "To find out how HDV will do for chromakey..." thread. I placed a chromakey file created with Reflecmedia to try out.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:03 AM   #168
Regular Crew

Thanks for the blue screen foootage Kaku. I do a lot of keying, and will try my hand on this clip when I am finished at work.
Brad Abrahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:06 AM   #169
Trustee

Brad,

Good!! Please help me to shoot better ones.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:15 AM   #170
MPS Digital Studios

Kaku,

Did you get my private email?

heath
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:28 AM   #171
Trustee

Yes, I've been putting my thoughts together for two days!! lol
I should send it to you because it is endless.
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:06 AM   #172
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks, Kaku! Anything else, just email me!

heath
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM   #173
Regular Crew

THANKS KAKU!!!!!!!!

Your HDVD DV clip set are FANTASTIC,
are exactly what i mean for a comparision test in different mode of the camera!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Best regards

Gabriele
Gabriele Turchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:45 PM   #174
Major Player

Hi Kaku,

I just burned the file converted HD->DV footage "Dawg60i.mov" onto a DVD to check out on my 30 inch direct view 16:9 television monitor.

It's really nice stuff...but something troubles me....some compression artifacts--especially when your friend on the mountainbike is moving in front of the stone wall. (All DVD's have some compression artifacts..but it seemed noticeable for me...)

When he disappears up the hill and we see just a static shot for a couple seconds...it looked really amazing. I can easily make out the license plate from the van

I wonder if the motion artifacts are exacerbated because of the downconversion?

Or it could just be poor encoding on my part...I used Quicktime to convert to MPEG 2 with 8.0 megabit bitrate....and burned via DVD studio pro.(I might be sitting too close to the display also)

Or the HD->DV footage doesn't like this amount of compressing....hmmm....

Great static shots...but it suffers during movement. But still amazing....

Thanks again.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:58 AM   #175
Trustee

John,

Did you choose 2pass VBR when you encode to MPEG?
Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:59 AM   #176
Trustee

Thanks Kaku and DVinfo for the clips!

Murph
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:17 AM   #177
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kaku Ito : John,

Did you choose 2pass VBR when you encode to MPEG? -->>>

I don't have a separate MPEG encoder...I just used the one built into Quicktime Pro and I set it for a fairly high bit rate.

I'm wondering if it will be better to:

Import the HDV footage first and THEN down-res via software

OR

Use the camera's built in conversion to DV.

Obviously, I can't do the first, I'm not equipped to do that right now...
But hopefully, the second choice is still good.

Except for those "artifacts" from fast motion in my case--one can really tell this is a kick butt 16:9 camcorder.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:08 AM   #178
Trustee

John,

I forgot I had DVD Studio Pro installed in the system that is why I have 2 pass VBR even in the regular QuickTime codec list.

Encode down from HDV directly to MPEG2 for DVD would be better result I would think.

Christofer,

My pleasure. I want thank Chris Hurd and Jeff again for the disk space.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:10 PM   #179
Major Player

yes, Kaku, you are right about HDV to DVD...

HDV direct to mpeg 2 SD DVD is better result than HDV > DV avi for "realtime" editing > mpeg 2 SD DVD... it's apparent...

I'm guessing the Cineform wavelet thing does a better job than "normal" HDV to avi conversion?

But for now I'd try to "suffer" and edit HDV m2t in vegas and then go direct to SD DVD if that was my final output - it looks THAT much better...
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #180
Regular Crew

Output to HDTV 108I Primer?

I've just purchased one of the aforementioned $799 CRT HDTV's. It's a 30" Philips widescreen--and the cable guy is coming today to install HDTV cable!

I have a GeForce 4600TI video card that has DVI out and S-video out. I was planning to connect my pc to the tv via the dvi or svideo to see some of the clips posted.

Is it as simple as moving my computer/keyboard/mouse over to the tv, and plugging in the TV through the video card?

What resolution should I set my video card to? Do I have to d/load powerstrip and tweak a bunch of settings?

Thanks for any help for this HD newbie :)

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale : Although.... I think Kevin may be sort of right here.

I've recently bought a Sharp Aquos 83cm LCD HDTV, which is one of the few TV/monitors to actually state it's viewable resolution, which is 1330x800.

That rez is BTW one of the highest you'll get on any readily available display - apart from the just released (well prototyped anyway) 1920x1080 resolution LCD panels.

So; even for the Aquos, which is infinitely superior in image to any plasmas I've looked at, the 1920x1080 image has to be squeezed down into 1330x800.

The 'filmic' look that is being referred to is, I suspect, related to a quite different issue. For instance, playing video via DVI from computer to external monitor requires a video card with timing rates, colour depths and resolution settings that can match or exceed the secondary display devices'. Everything has to be 'just right' with hardware and software or frame-rate, bit-rate and possibly resolution will be attenuated. Appz like Power Strip come in handy here - though I couldn't get Power Strip to work when connecting my 3.4Ghz laptop via DVI to the Aquos, despite the monitor showing up correctly (resolution/refresh rate etc) as the 2nd display device. Not everything is perfect just yet........

I've played the same clips back to the Aquos as native m2t through a Roku HD1000 at 1080i (definitely no possible bottlenecks) to the Aquos, and the video is indistinguishable from broadcast 1080i in every respect - including motion, not filmic - just bloody marvelous!!!. -->>>
Brandt Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1