Raw HDR-FX1 mpeg2 files are posted. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 25th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #61
Trustee

I almost forgot!! Today was my wife Nancy's birthday!!
I was too much into FX1 stuff and realized it at 20:40pm.
I'd better slow down for this process for tonight.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #62
Trustee

Kaku, thank you VERY much for posting all these clips and also thanks VERY much to Chris Hurd for hosting.

I've had to chance to look at all the clips. My opinion is that it's unbelieveable for a $3700 video camera. However, there is room for improvement...

Why the heck does the night footage look so sexy to me? The daytime footage is....well, a very solid good. It's good. It's definately good. But, the night footage is better than I expected. I'm viewing on a 23" Cinema, G5 system and it looks really great. Even better when I "deinterlace" with VLC player. I'm super-excited to see some footage that's actually lit with a professional lighting designer...and a tripod. This camera could in my opinion shoot an AMAZING drama that has little to no action. That's making my hair stand up straight because that's exactly what I write and shoot.

I don't see the harsh chroma we've been dealing with in HDV, so that's refreshing. It's also got a richer overall tone - I keep coming back to the word "solid" image. It's workable, it's definately something worth the money!

Who's dying to find out about the "Pro" version? I'm buying it sight unseen now that I've checked out the FX1 footage. There improvements in the "Pro" version make it truly a breakthrough camera. (so is the FX1 for that matter)

Murph
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #63
MPS Digital Studios

Kaku,

Thanks for all the contributions you're making! It's helping us out immensely, all of us!

I, however, will have to wait a week or so before I can check it out. I'm in between DSL providers, and my 56k can't handle much...

heath
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #64
Major Player

Pro Version

I wonder if the pro version will have even better noise to signal ratio? There has to be some kind of performance improvements to call it "pro"
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #65
Trustee

I truly hope so, but I'd settle for Apple's support and XLR connectors with adjustable channels. I'm trying to figure out the price difference, and I just can't do it. There must be a feature worth the price increase...and I know we all hope for 24p. (the real deal)

Murph
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #66
Trustee

I'm adding footage in the "Day 0db" folder.

This one came out really beautiful.

Finally the sun was out and with the help of my wife and assistant, Chacha who has been making and performing music, went to Yoyogi park and shot the footage.

cocoonspace.m2t is the intro part of a song call "Akaihana" by her group "cocoon". Gash I don't remember I had the ND filter on or not (most likely I had it on ND1), but the iris is F4, no gain added and shutter speed 60. The sun was partially hitting directly on her face and the wood. No reflector or what so ever. We took an iPod and connected by mini stereo cable directly to the mic input of the FX1 and FX1 seems to adjust the line level. The file format is "lossless" on the iPod which is ripped from her CD. The album is recorded and mastered at 24bit/96KHz with MOTU Digital Performer and HD896 then mastered to the CD format. So, you can call it this file is totally inhouse production.

Another note is that I used the "picture profile 5" which is suitable for making Japanese skin preferable. The color parameter is added by "+1", Sharpness "11", skin tone detail "type 3", AGC limit to be "12db" (but the gain was set manually to 0db anyway), and auto iris "F4" (so is iris set to F4 manually).

And NDoffF11.m2t is shot with the picture profile 1 which is recommended for HDV shooting with sharpness set to "11" because it goes to "11" when you need more than "10"....you know it's one louder innit?....sorry, bad joke. But seriously, the sharpness is set to 11 for you to compare the skin tone detail thing.

If you wanna know more about chacha's group cocoon, the web site is www.cocoonspace.com

Chris and I talked about the files and I will probably erase the ones some people said terrible.
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #67
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Kaku,

Thanks for all the contributions you're making! It's helping us out immensely, all of us!

I, however, will have to wait a week or so before I can check it out. I'm in between DSL providers, and my 56k can't handle much...

heath -->>>

Heath,
Thank YOU for all of your effort to put this forum together. I'm getting used to the cam so, by the time you get your DSL, we will have good selection by then.
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #68
Major Player

Kaku,

Thank you for all your efforts.

Is all of the daytime footage still available? It seems like some of the clips have 'disappeared'.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #69
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Troy Lamont : Kaku,

Thank you for all your efforts.

Is all of the daytime footage still available? It seems like some of the clips have 'disappeared'.

Troy -->>>

As I mentioned in second to the last post, some files that were shot with gain boosted incorrectly, I erased them and posted a couple of good ones tonight. I will do lots of car shooting as soon as I get chance to.
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #70
Major Player

Thank you very much sir! You're a true hero.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #71
Regular Crew

As we all have said before Kaku, thank you for everything your doing. The clips are looking great. Kaku is there a chance you can get to the country side and do some fancy shots of the beauty of japans greener areas. I would love to see closeup shots of kids and people talking and interacting with one another. This makes for good material to study. Thanks Kaku

michael pappas
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #72
Regular Crew

direct sun?

Most of the FX1 day shots I've seen are in a sort of overcast light, which is nice light! But wondering what it does in a more harsh direct sunlight. Maybe we need to wait for a weather change in Japan? Anyone know of any footage in bright sun?
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #73
Trustee

I will go to places like Fujimi Panorama mountainbike resort in Nagano and shoot what I usually shoot. Here are some of my clips at Fujimi http://homepage.mac.com/kakuito/FujimiPanorama.htm. I put these footage together with totally amature people with various cams since no TV stations nor magazines provide what is happenning in the downhill racing. The quality of the shots are so so, but I think it is so valuable that we are providing longer and more clips of the sport.

And interaction between people, I will try to find opportunity somewhere and sometime, but just picking on anything wouldn't seems to be anything worth because my time is limited (I run Japanese MOTU distributor, Apple VAR, write articles for magazines, provide moutainbike clips to magazines, heavily into constructing a new concept of education on making music, ride mountainbikes and provide information to this forum<grin>. I gave up on updating my Japanese blog for providing information about media production because Japanese people don't respond, they just hate someone sticking out. I really dig here because people talk about all of the worthy stuff, so I want to contribute the stuff I come across for expressing my appreciation to this forum. And it is kind of like descipline to me writing opinions and getting some feedback from real serious people here in English.

Anyway, I will think about a good occasion to fill your request about conversation. I don't think I can just go out and shoot people I don't know and I look wiered <lol>.
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #74
Trustee

Jeff,

The new clips shows direct sun on chacha's face. I manage to control the direct sun hitting her face an the wood in the back partially don't you think?
I could upload some bad examples while I was adjusting the iris but I don't wanna look like I provide poorly production footage neither <lol>.

I will try to choose some parts from yesterday's footage tomorrow.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Yeah, that's a nice shot but the sunlight is somewhat diffused, looks like some trees or something to break it up. I'm talking about seeing some footage where there's basically harsh direct sunlight, the kind of thing video usually hates. The mountain bike stuff you have which I looked at was shot on a very sunny day. Wondering what the performance looks like in that environment, if the weather's right and you get a chance.

Thanks for your time in putting these clips up. You've got some really remarkable stuff up there.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1