Raw HDR-FX1 mpeg2 files are posted. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 25th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #76
Major Player

My computer won't play the file after downloading it. Anyone know what program do I have to attach it to to play the footage?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Try the VLC editor. I got one to work on my computer and the footage is amazing.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Deron Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #78
Major Player

WOW, i just feed the video from my laptop to TV, ok its PAL not exactly HD BUT the colour, imgage sharpness was excellent!, it is only when you play these clips on CRT that the colours look really good, and you can forget about the interlace let the TV deal with that, oh man i need to get HD (thats gonna be hard in the UK)...

Anyway this cams got potential.
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #79
Regular Crew

How view clips in Premiere, or Storm?

How can I convert these to go into Premiere or DV Storm? Any suggestions? Don't have any fancy converting software here, but would be nice to somehow get them in and view on a monitor. Thanks for any suggestions.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #80
Regular Crew

I've taken jpg screencaps from two of Kaku's daytime shots for anyone who is interested. I've uploaded them in both 1080 and 720 resolutions:

http://www.flicker-free.com/A_1080.jpg
http://www.flicker-free.com/A_720.jpg

http://www.flicker-free.com/B_1080.jpg
http://www.flicker-free.com/B_720.jpg
Brad Abrahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #81
Major Player

cocconspacem2t is amazing closeup...

wow, the downconversion of this in vegas to NTSC DV avi looks incredible. I can't believe you can get an image like this for under $10,000.00...

Bill Ravens, re: your comments in the other thread re: Sony Vegas comparison with XL2 - I took a survey here at our t.v. station where I work... everyone here has worked with all the latest gear, including our XL2...

And they all agree that they've never seen an image like this (the FX1 HDV downconversion to avi via Vegas) for this price point. This latest "cocoon" close-up clip was especially impressive - obviously, Kaku is clearly starting to ace using this camera with the various manual settings...

We were waiting to get our hands on the cam firsthand before deciding which way to go - but now with our boss seeing the cam for himself and all the Kaku footage, we are sold... and thus so will our "old" XL2's!!! Our boss has decided to go HDV!!! All the way!!!

Before anyone here gets excited and wants to buy, I'll mention that we have an arrangement with a local film school to sell to them our "old gear" at a good rate - it's our way of "giving back." Well, at least the kids will get 24p!!!

Kaku, impressive footage, these new "daylight" clips. Great work!

Thank you!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #82
MPS Digital Studios

Great stuff, all!

Kaku, the HDV forums were Chris Hurd and the others' here at DV Info's brain child. I had some input, but I'm just here to make sure things are cool and questions are answered as best as possible.

heath
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #83
Regular Crew

nice looking footage

I put the footage into DVD Architect and burned it to a DVD. Of cource, DVD Architect re-encoded it down to 720, but WOW! This stuff looks awesome. Incredible sharpness and detail, a real bang for the buck. It's a pretty video-y picture, but I imagine some gritty filtration or a net could help there.

Anyhow I'm sold. Will wait to see what the pro model actually has and whether it's worth the extra freight.
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #84
Trustee

Heath, I know but I thought you are the wrangler here in this topic.
Chris and Jeff are really being generous about my clips. Soon I will be setting up separate space at my company's server, so I don't have to burden so much.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #85
Trustee

Re: nice looking footage

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Nelson : I put the footage into DVD Architect and burned it to a DVD. Of cource, DVD Architect re-encoded it down to 720, but WOW! This stuff looks awesome. Incredible sharpness and detail, a real bang for the buck. It's a pretty video-y picture, but I imagine some gritty filtration or a net could help there.

Anyhow I'm sold. Will wait to see what the pro model actually has and whether it's worth the extra freight. -->>>

That was one of the reasons why I wanted to get into higher resolution cams. I provide mountainbiking footage to magazines and I wasn't satisfied with the quality I was providing, comparing to the ones shot via film produced by like Fox Racing. I never had time to check the work flow, so reading your feedback, I'm happy to hear the result was positive.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #86
Major Player

Re: How view clips in Premiere, or Storm?

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Nelson : How can I convert these to go into Premiere or DV Storm? Any suggestions? Don't have any fancy converting software here, but would be nice to somehow get them in and view on a monitor. Thanks for any suggestions. -->>>

Just change the .m2t file extension to .mpg and play in WMP. With the mpg extension instead of m2t you can also load the stream into Premiere Pro.....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #87
New Boot

Kako - a request please

Hi Kako

Thanks for the samples. I've been playing with removing the 3:2 pulldown from your "dwaterfront24p.m2t" to convert the footage to true 24P. My initial tests show promise, however I'm having some difficulty.

The main object of the test is to ascertain the quality of motion when converted to true 24P. The difficulty I'm having is that the sample footage you provided appears to be shot at a high shutter speed. This makes motion evaluation very difficult as the images tend to 'strobe'.

What I wanted to ask, is if you could shoot another short test, but with you shutter manually set to 1/30th or 1/60th (either or both would be great). If you can do this and post it, I will perform the pulldown tests to 24P and post the results.

Ideally the test should have some sections with a lot of movement and some with little movement.

Thanks so much, Josh
Joshua Litle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Thank you, Steve Crisdale

Easy solution, changing extensions fo mpg!

Kako -- do you have any filters to test out? Like maybe a black diffusion FX #2? Would be interested to see something on the lens. Is the lens detachable? If so, you could do the old snot glue stretching some stocking across the back of the lens trick, see if we can start getting more of a Sopranos look, take down some of the brassiness. Just curious what different filters will do here...
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #89
New Boot

Kako - a request please

Hi Kako

Thanks for the samples. I've been playing with removing the 3:2 pulldown from your "dwaterfront24p.m2t" to convert the footage to true 24P. My initial tests show promise, however I'm having some difficulty.

The main object of the test is to ascertain the quality of motion when converted to true 24P. The difficulty I'm having is that the sample footage you provided appears to be shot at a high shutter speed. This makes motion evaluation very difficult as the images tend to 'strobe'.

What I wanted to ask, is if you could shoot another short test, but with you shutter manually set to 1/30th or 1/60th (either or both would be great). If you can do this and post it, I will perform the pulldown tests to 24P and post the results.

Ideally the test should have some sections with a lot of movement and some with little movement.

Thanks so much, Josh
Joshua Litle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #90
MPS Digital Studios

Kaku,

Have you shot anything red (in the light), black and really dark stuff or heavy shadows? That's something I'd like to see (when I get my new DSL, that is).

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1