Can anyone suggest a good backpack for HDR-FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Trustee

Can anyone suggest a good backpack for HDR-FX1?

I was looking at Kata, but it seems too large. I have a Lowpro, but it is bit too small. Does anyone know any perfect backpack with good protection which would match this cam? A holder for good lightweight tripod is needed, too. Thanks.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:49 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Kaku, you might take a look at Kata Bags:

http://www.kata-bags.com/videoLobby.asp

All of their backpacks are here:

http://www.kata-bags.com/category.as...d=4&ProdLine=4

I think their BP Backpack 502 and also the GDC Rucksack 102 might be best for the Sony FX1. I have seen the BP 502 in person before but of course it was not with an FX1. But I believe it will fit nicely because it will hold the Canon XL2 which is bigger.

Backpack BP 502: http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1

Rucksack 102: http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=4&ProdLine=4

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:51 PM   #3
Warden

I'll second that. Kata has some great backpacks and they just added a model or two. Bogen has taken over as the US distributor (from Tiffin) and these bags should be in a lot more retailers.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Chris & Jeff,

I knoooow. I like these, but they are little too large for me when I have to go down the mountain with my downhill bike. I know the Japanese Kata distributor, so it would be perfect if they make the perfect size bag and Kata looks the best. Since FX1 comes with integrated lens cover with the hood, so although I can take the hood off to carry smaller but then I won't have the lens protected!!

I'm going to check out some bags at Yodobashi camera today between the shooting session.
Old October 24th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Trustee

I found out tha my Lowepro (sorry lowepro, I kept misspelling lowpro) could carry HDR-FX1 very nicely. If you look at the link, you will see it is made for still cameras and small video camera, but if you put one of the devider to one side, FX1 fits laying down side way. I could even fit the wide conversion lens. I will send you the photo later.

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/.../minitrkaw.htm

However, I'm guessing Kata R-102 is not that big. The lady in the photo is probably petite, so the bag looks large. I will look at R-102 in itself to find out how large it is. R-102 looks more comfortable to wear.
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I think the Teddy-2 would work for your mountain biking needs. Might have to find a creative way to carry your camel pak, however.
Bobby Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #7
Trustee

Bobby,

Thanks. I thought and the Japanese distributor (Honjo) thought so, too.
They did not have the real thing at the moment, but they said they will bring it next time to show in person.

I don't do epic ride, I only do downhilling at public course, so I usuallly don't need the camepak :).
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #8
Trustee

Honjo, the distributor of Kata in Japan brought R-102 to my office for fitting HDR-FX1, but we found out R-102 is little too shallow and not long enough.

BP-502 would be very roomy, but it is too large for me.

As Bobby recommended TEDDY-2 will be feasible for HDR-FX1 and the wide conversion lens, some batteries and tapes.

I will let you know how that fits.
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #9
Trustee

I use a pack that was not designed for video. I use a Swiss Army computer backpack. My VX2100 fits in it, but I would be afraid to drop it.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #10
Trustee

George,

I thought I could use various pack that I have for FX1 like how I would use them with VX2100, but actually, the hood for FX1 is huge because of 16:9 ratio and the LCD portion makes it even harder to fit in the packs I have!!

I was surprised that I could not fit FX1 in my Boblbee's largest Megalopolis.

So, poeple, be aware for that.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Would anyone speculate as to whether the Kata 502 could be taken on an airplane as a carry-on? I like to travel overseas and would much prefer to bring my expensive Z1 with me (and not let it out of my sight).

On that subject, somebody recommended to me that I should register my cameras with US customs before I depart to avoid any harrassment upon my return. Anyone have advice/experience to share on that?
Jay Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Major Player

Kaku

have you seen the Globe Clamp?

http://www.ss20.com/erol.html#1754x0...arch%26meta%3D

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:36 PM   #13
New Boot

The Porta-Brace "Hiker" series of backpacks work great! I use one with my Z1. It holds the camera with lots of extra gear (including a mounted shotgun mike). It is very padded, and compact. It has a rugged shell. You can wear it as a backpack or zip up the shoulder straps and use it as a carry-on bag (fits in overhead bin). I have backpacked with this pack on several month long shoots, and have nothing but praise for it's design, and quality. I only wish they were a little cheaper - but, you get what you pay for...
Carl Crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #14
Tourist

Has anyone tried the Brenthaven professional 17 video pack?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71601/wo/6l2NQKvOqBg02Tk1ow52cfMGKCW/1.0.11.1.0.6.12.1.6.1.17.0

I wonder if it would fit the bill. My personal requirement is for a backpack holding both the Powerbook 17 and the HDR-FX1.
Etienne Grosjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #15
New Boot

I've used the LowePro CompuTrekker AW with the PD-170 to good results. (I also managed to fit a charger with batteries and tapes for a week into the main compartment of the bag, with room left over in the back and front for other things -- including a laptop pouch.) I don't know about the FX1/Z1.

It also comes with a good tripod mount and an excellent All-Weather Cover. (Months of use in Iraq, which can be very hazardous to camera gear, and it was sturdier than any other bag I've had over there.)

--CW
Colin Wyers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1