hdv kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 24th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

hdv kit

Hi guys....today after I have done a feature with DVX100 and been quite successful. I am trying to convince my producer to go HDV with the new sony to make it to the theatre. The last feature was 1:59 hrs DVD release.

Am I right in concluding that the following kit can take the final output to the theatre.What additional would I need?....thanks

1. SONY FX-1

2. Hdv Deck...............please suggest with the price

3. Fast computer ...a 3.5 Mhz P4(do I need dual P4 ?) , 1 gb Ram with 400GB hd ..do I need a videocard? currently I have Matrox Digisuite ..analog with component in for the last 5 yearson a dual p3 450. I have a ordinary firewire card with three firewire connections.Which card do I need and approx how much? I really want to plunge in Hdv...last feature was intended for JVC Hd 10U but since Hdv was in infancy stage I traded my XL1 and went for DVX100. Now I want to trade DVX and go for sony.

4. Would it be good for digital projector to project it on full theatre. The last feature was projected from 2500Lumen digital projector on a 9' x 12' screen done on DVX and had a mint quality.

5. What do I need for editing ...I mean which software ?
Till now I have been using Premiere 6.5 . If new premiere pro 1.5 supports HDv then can I use an ordinary firewire card?

6. Preview monitor ....for the computer and also for shooting when not using camera lcd . Only for crane shots. and preview during editing . Can I preview the video when video is in thro firewire? There is a lcd samsung monitor that has 1080i. would that suffice? its around $1500 canadian at BEST BUY canada.

7. What else do I need?

and yes I want to go Hdv now.......

Thanks a lot for taking time to read this.

Kumar
Old October 24th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Kumar,

Do a search around our site for many answers to your questions, including answers to your editing questions.

heath
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Heath

Kumar
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Sure, no sweat! Also, before you buy, test out the FX1.

heath
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Projector

Try and make sure that your projector can do 1080i natively that way you will get the best image possible.

720P would be OK but that would involve some internal downconverstion.
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

The projector is going to be rental. Is there any projector that does 1080i?

yes we will be renting Fx1 before I trade in my dvx100 . The shooting starts nov end so we will have time to test . I am not worried about projector at this moment as that would be needed in feb 2005 and at that time there must be some projector out there that does 1080i.

If nothing works out we might just stick with dvx100 and wait for better hdv , maybe from canon or panasonic.

Thanks guys ...thanks again
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Projector

I could be wrong...but I think the only one that does true 1080 is the new one out from Sanyo (the PLV-HD10)...many will support it, but they compress it....

edited:

I checked the press release for the projector and Sanyo claims it is the first true 1920x1080 projector on the market...
Kevin Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I checked with our projector rental people and they dont seem to have any ...but I thing by next year feb and march these projectors should be a common thing.

Thanks again
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

JVC and others sell some, but they're like $10 grand +.

heath
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Kumar? Shooting in Toronto? You won't be able to rent FX1...

Hi Kumar - don't know if you have some special channels open to you, in which case of course you'll be fine...

Otherwise, if you're thinking of somehow renting an FX1 in Toronto through regular channels, it won't be happening this year, I can guarantee you... I've posted in another thread that FX1 is in short supply in Canada and this info comes directly from the Sony Canada Product Manager in charge of the FX1 as spoken directly to my boss.

Sony's priority is to honour the pre-orders placed on their website (www.sonystyle.ca) which is already in excess to the number of FX1's allocated to Canada before the end of the year... It's possible a few dealers and a rental house here or there might come across the "odd" one but not too likely... You'll have a better chance of getting a flu shot in the United States...

My boss and the Sony dude kinda have a good relationship because our t.v. station has all Sony broadcast gear. So my boss is privy to certain info that us mere mortals can only speculate upon.... You know, they golf together, etc.

We've been contacting various rental houses (Vistek, Cineequip, SIM's, etc.) around town and they confirm that they won't have an FX1 for "rent" before 2005 rolls around...

That being said, maybe you guys have had some better luck? If so, mind sharing your info?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

The guy I rent from is a very proactive guy. He is not big as vistek or others but works from home . He has about 50 rental cameras including the high end 150000 hd cams . That is where I tested the jvc hd10u. He had it very early and am hoping that even this time he might have already ordered the fx1. Lets hope for the best or otherwise I will have to stick with the DVX 100 for now.

thanks very much for the update. I have called him and left message . I really hope he has already ordered it . This is his full time job for years.

Thanks again.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

Just got a call from him . He ordered it months ago and is expecting as on of the first ones in canada . He said he will getiing one of the first shipments.

That is a good news.

:)

smiles

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1