Beware when you switch between HDV and DV on FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 29th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #1
Trustee

Beware when you switch between HDV and DV on FX1

It crashed (kernel panic) my G5 because I forgot to disconnect the firewire cable from FX1 while I was switching between HDV and DV. There's a caution in the menu, but I forgot. My fault but be careful.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

oops..

:P

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Beware when you switch between HDV and DV on FX1

<<<-- Originally posted by Kaku Ito : It crashed (kernel panic) my G5 because I forgot to disconnect the firewire cable from FX1 while I was switching between HDV and DV. There's a caution in the menu, but I forgot. My fault but be careful. -->>>

Nice to know! Thanks

BTW Kaku, are you thinking about uploading other FX1 clips, or is this it? I'm still looking everyday to see if there's something knew...
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Donal and everyone,

I haven't been able to get out of house/company to shoot more. Also, in another forum (not here), I was called as "monkey" with a camera, while I don't have good way to edit yet and bold enoght to provide raw material. I'm not pro anyway in shooting but still don't deserve this kind of insult.
So, I can't help but try to be selective. Here at HDVinfo, I receive so much encouragement, therefore I want to provide as much information I can.

I have so much for business right now, too, so time is so limited. I'm totally skipping on my leisure time like riding bike. I try to take the cam out any occasion I could and cover what people want, but please be patient.
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Kaku, don't let the fools get to you...

Your stuff is amazing and I'm sorry that someone has insulted you like that - ignore those ignorants - you shot amazing stuff last summer with the GS400 that I burned to DVD and showed Panasonic Canada even before they launched the camera here in North America - they were blown away by your detailed, excellent test shots. Your footage alone sold my film school on getting 4 GS400's for the students.

And now your FX1 footage has been the toast of the these forums - hundreds of people have seen your shots and have decided to get the camera based on your work.

My producing partner made the decision based on your "dscndgbike.m2t" clip that night-shooting with this cam has potential for some indie films we'll be developing next summer - Kaku, thank you for your EXCELLENT work - your efforts have been most helpful!

Cheers to you!

Thanks so much!

Mark
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:42 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Mark, but I won't be just feel comfortable with nice people like you and others here. I will be better. But I really appreciate your concern.

And more issue to mention.

Don't turn on FX1 while it is connected to Mac. Just by turning the cam on with the firewire connected, Mac will crash the same way you switch between DV/HDV.
Old October 30th, 2004, 02:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Kaku Ito : Thanks Mark, but I won't be just feel comfortable with nice people like you and others here. I will be better. But I really appreciate your concern.

And more issue to mention.

Don't turn on FX1 while it is connected to Mac. Just by turning the cam on with the firewire connected, Mac will crash the same way you switch between DV/HDV. -->>>

I've been told by someone doing FCP seminars at Apple that this will be resolved when the real HDV support in FCP (i.e. hdvcomponent) is released.

As for you being a "monkey" with a camera... Where was that? Please tell us so that we may go there and "explain" things to them...

I can tell you that the 2 boards I frequently visit, this one and another, I loved your footage. I took your clips with me and used them as a demo on 2 other people I work with. Basically, your footage convinced us to pre-order the FX1E. If you hand'nt given us this footage, I would still be waiting for some demo to show up somewhere (as the 3 wmv clips on that japan site are ugly).

You've done more to sell this camera than Sony themselves. I can't believe they (Sony) didn't put a hi-quality demo for people to see! For crying out loud, they don't even want to explain (or they don't understand) how their camera really works!
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #8
Trustee

Well, you guys are kind and I should not worry so much about little things, but it is my responsiblity if people think bad about the cam with my mistakes.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1