Transfer to film? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:11 AM   #16
Major Player

The /50 European version of the FX1, will produce Progressive HDV format straight out of the box using the Cineframe25 feature. 1080 x 1440 anamorphic progressive with a cinetone look.

This of course will attract a 6db video noise penalty.

One thing that is not clear is whether Sony will disable manual control of exposure in Cineframe mode like they did with the PC350.

It is likely this will be the case and full manual control of exposure will be the domain of the Pro version in Cineframe mode.

I might add that keyframing exposure changes in post is a lot more fun and less processor intensive than using M|B or whatever.

Can it be used for blow ups?

Does a bear sh........

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The Cineframe25 feature of Sony's FX-1 is not true progessiv. I think it goes in the same direction as the frame-mode of Canon's XL-1.

regards
Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:53 AM   #18
Major Player

please quote your source for this information

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM   #19
Regular Crew

The statement that the cineframe25 feature is not a true progressiv mode, the price and shipping date came from Sony on the "Fotokina" in Cologne.

regards
Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM   #20
Trustee

Pixel shif technology I believe they use. Enables them to derive 1440 pixels from 960 pixel CCD.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #21
Major Player

I'be just attended a presentation of FX-1. The prof edition will have one feature that I've never seen before, and might help going to 35 mm. The prof camera is switchable between 1080i60 and 1080i50. This means that there will only be one model worldwide. This is of course nice for us Europeans, as we can import cheaper US-cameras, but converting 1080i50 to 24P must be the easy way to get to film for all americans.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #22
Barry Wan Kenobi

Does it mean there will be only one model worldwide?

There's still standard DV mode in there, won't that be either PAL or NTSC? 60i and 50i in HD have nothing to do with PAL or NTSC, they're HD models and all HD sets can play both rates. It seems to me that the only reason they offer both is for the capability of up-rezzing existing NTSC footage and PAL footage to HD resolution: obviously 60i NTSC will up-rez to 1080/60i better than it would to 1080/50i.

But just because it's 50i/60i switchable, does that mean that it'll also be NTSC/PAL switchable? Or do they disable the standard-def mode? Gotta be one or the other...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:11 AM   #23
Major Player

It is PAL/NTSC switchable

Just doublechecked. The pro-edition vil be have a PAL/NTSC switch, and will be capable of doing 1080i60 / 1080i50 / 576i50 / 480i60, and there will only be one model worldwide. There will be two consumer models, one for PAL-land and one for NTSC-land.

I have no idea, how the switching between PAL and NTSC is done. But i suspect a menuoption.

But I have a bonafide Sony powerpoint-press comparing PD-170 with the FX1-pro and FX1-consumer. I can't host it myself, so if a kind soul have a few kilobyte to spare I'll be more than happy to mail it to the friendly host.

Rgds

PS: I've played with the FX1 for 10 min. and it really really rocks. Forget about Panasonics and Canons, this is a fantastic camera.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #24
Major Player

Did someone host this guys ppt slides? I'll do it if no one else wants to
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #25
Regular Crew

JVC recently showed a prototype 2/3" 3-chip camera in a professional form-factor that will shoot 24p too.

And it's using CMOS sensors! MMmmmmm!

Here's some news coverage here:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...r-04_20_04.htm
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Transfer to film?

Hi guys.

This is my first post here.

I'm more of a film person really, but I've been watching developments in HD with a lot of interest. I hope you'll be patient with me because of my lack of video expertise (though I shot of stuff on analog and loved it), and that you'll answer my queries without too much heavy technical gumph, or else I'll be asking you more silly questions.

I'm very excited about the release of these two cameras - it looks like we finally have the video cameras indie film-makers have been waiting for. I'm impressed by Kaku's footage (and grateful to him), particularly the low light, and am keen to see a transfer to film done. Maybe I can eventually arrange some tests here. Fortunately in the UK our video is at 25fps, so transfers are rather straightforward (in terms of frame rate). We just live with the change in speed, and use something like Pich'n'time to pitch shift the sound for those who can hear the difference. Or will this camera actually do 24fps?.

So what are your thoughts on the suitability of this camera for originating cinema release footage? I've already seen one person here state <--A shame Sony didn't provide progressive scan on this machine. It'll never stand up to transfer to film.--> What does that mean? And does that apply to the Pro version as well?

Personally, I always think it's a mistake to try to aim for a genuine 'film look'. This where Collateral didn't work for me. It was shot like it was a film; framing, lighting, camera movements, etc. which only served to show up the camera's limitations. Much more successful was 28 Days Later where the makers didn't try to fight the camera's characteristics, but rather exploited them and found their own aesthetic.

My 2p worth...
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #27
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"<--A shame Sony didn't provide progressive scan on this machine. It'll never stand up to transfer to film.--> What does that mean? And does that apply to the Pro version as well?"

i do not know of any transfer to film from this camera .. i have seen NTSC interlace transferred to FILM ( the fast runner) and it will stand next to any PAL transfer , or progressive transfer ... 10 years ago it was a different story ....

the unknown today for the HDV format is what artifacts are lying in wait when it is transferred to FILM and this is based on current mpeg2 compression ??? and not the compression scheme sony has choosen ... but then all these doubts are just a REPEAT of when sony introduced the VX1000 DV camera and well you can see how that camera changed video and helped level the playing field between the $$$ boys and small independents !!!!

IMO the new sony HDV is the new camera that all other hand size camera's will be measured against .... one really must think hard if wanting to buy a SD 4x3 $2500-5K SD hand size camera over next few months !!

the next few months will be just like when the vx1000, XL1 , DVX100 were introduced - after 3 months we'll all know what this camera can/can't do !!!!
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

Please perform a search here at the site before posting up. There have been plenty of great discussions on this subject.

heath
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I thought someone might provide a not so technical summary.
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

DVFilm has a lot of answers in terms of going to film and film look, plus they have a great FAQ with tons of info (not much on the FX1 yet)!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1