Preliminary testing result with FX1 HDV mode and Glidecam. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 16th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kaku Ito :
And John, I haven't forgotten about testing Glidecam on DV!! Please wait for a little while more. -->>>

Hi Kaku,

Its Ok now not needed.

I have seen some footage shot on FX1E with an ABC Handyman 1000, and it looks fine. I think the secret is to avoid fast angular movement

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #17
Trustee

I went to a BMX park and shot some footage yesterday. I had shot footage with DSR-PDX10 before and had spent a lot of time editing, so I'm used to watching the location with PDX10 quality. Then watching the same place on footage shot by FX1 is better on interlaced monitor. It's the least quality I need to produce DVD titles. I was always afraid to be pointed out with the quality of mastered DVD clips from footage shot with DSR-PDX10, but I nolonger have to worry about that most of the time.

Why most of the time? Because FX1 does terrible with some situations like fast moving downhiller passing in front of the camera with trees and plants in the back ground. It seems to exceed the limit of the compression, so the video breaks up for a couple of seconds. If you are panning and are not able to pan the camera stricktly sideway (wubble vertically), the picture would be broken even worse. This you can see the problem in playing back with regular speed, so it is horrible. In another example, I had a BMX rider passing in front of me, then the shape of the wheel is broken depending on the situation on the ground. If the ground is solid, it is not much problem, but the ground color changes from, say, asphalt to dirt, then on the boarderline, the shape of the wheel was out of shape a bit (you won't probably notice if you are watching it in reagular speed). I used Manfrotto 503 video head and carefully shot this footage, but this problem happened.

I will probably have NV-GS400 on the side, placing it on a small tripod and shoot fast moving object along with the panning work of FX1 to make sure I can use the footage from GS400 if the panning shot of FX1 is bad.

The good points of FX1 exceeds the few problems that can be solved by having a sub-camera, so I am happy with FX1 and just have to be creative and equipped with good tripod to shoot better video.

I noticed that FX1 feels heavy shooting with hands, so I probably have to get one of those shoulder attachment.

You can adjust 503 video head well and works great with FX1. It could be adjusted to keep the balance in most angle, but not all of the angle up and down. I would say 20% is not usable.

Canon Lanc remote really works well with FX1.

I will probalby post some of the footage from the BMX park later in my site. LumiereHD is getting better and better as we speak, so it won't be too long to see my edited clips from FX1 on my site.

Overall, I'm happy with more resolution most of the time, so I will be more creative to cover the problems with FX1.

I mentioned the expectation of the quality on DV format with FX1, but reading from other thread, it seems that is disappointing result. I ended up not shooting with DV format on FX1 all this time (besides the one I shot for the testing). I will probalby stick to HDV with FX1 and utilize NV-GS400 well to cover the weekness of FX1.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

The short film I co-shot (I did hand-held and sticks) with the FX1 is GREAT! The DoP used a GlideCam V16 (much like a SteadiCam) to great results! I'll have a link to the site in a week or two that is hosting raw clips!

heath
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Was Jon the DOP?. hope he could write a review like what he has written about HD10.
Maheel Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

No, I was the co-DP with a guy named Psych Stevens.

Jon and I are shooting a short film the day after X-Mas and we'll both have full reviews ASAP.

heath
Old December 24th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Kaku,

is your clip still available somewhere? i got here late and can't seem to have missed it.
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #22
Trustee

I'm setting up a folder in my company's ftp soon. I will let you know.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1