DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   XL1 & XL2 vs. HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/34487-xl1-xl2-vs-hdr-fx1.html)

Ashton Robinson November 4th, 2004 04:18 PM

XL1 & XL2 vs. HDR-FX1

I currently have an XL1 but I need another camera for track/road-side shots. I am thinking of getting an XL2 or a Sony HDR-FX1 for the second camera. Disregarding the difference in price and SD of the XL2 would there be any advantages it has over the FX1? Would the footage from the XL1 and FX1 look weird going from SD to HD or should I just convert the 4:3 footage from the to HD?

As for in-car cameras I was suggested to use the Sony DCR TRV series with the mounts I am buying. Would the footage from those look out of place with HD?

Zack Birlew November 4th, 2004 09:53 PM

From what I can tell, when shooting in SD mode on the FX-1, it should be comparable to at least a VX2000-2100, but the footage will look entirely different when displayed on an HDTV monitor (because it supports the higher resolution of the FX-1 even in SD mode) so I would think your best bet would be to get an XL2 for the secondary or perhaps using it as the primary and the XL1 for secondary? But I'm pretty sure that it's a really bad idea to mix SD and HD footage together anyway because you will go from sharp to cRaZy sharp and that will definitely be noticeable within the first few minutes.

Ashton Robinson November 4th, 2004 11:17 PM

Thank you. That is true. I guess if I wanted to go all HD, I'd have to use only FX1's. Now what would you suggest for in-car footage, if I did infact switch to all HD later down the road? The track-side footage would be crazy sharp and the in-car would be a bit grainy, which like you said would be very noticeable.

I did notice in some of the race footage on tv they had really sharp pictures from the track side and the in-car footage wasn't of the best quality. Not sure though.

Zack Birlew November 5th, 2004 08:55 PM

Well, if that's the case, then just use one or two FX-1's for your shooting for all HD. Unless you would rather spend about $14,000 on two of the Sony ZR-1's coming out. Now THAT would be HD production 8). But the thing you're noticing with the in-car footage on TV is that they aren't using as high quality of cameras in the cars, just in case the car should crash/blow up and ruin the camera. But it depends on what you're doing with the whole footage switching, are you doing a movie? Independent race track filming? In any case, I would suggest a smaller style camera for in-car footage because of easy ergonomics, it wouldn't be as good to have a big ol' XL1/2 strapped to a car unless you have a seriously secure harness/dolly/some holding device (I don't know the term for that). But like I've already said, it depends on what you're doing and good luck!