DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Saw & touched the Z1 - my comments (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/34679-saw-touched-z1-my-comments.html)

Darren Kelly November 8th, 2004 10:18 PM

Saw & touched the Z1 - my comments

Folks,

I got to see one and touch it.Here's what I know.

The XLR adapter is exactly the same size as the plastic cover that covers the mic in on the FX1. That's where it is location.

Attached to the right hand side of the control panel (under the LCD screen) is an adapter that holds a shot gun mike. It's like the PD150/170. Same mike infact.

On the back of the camera, where the FX1 has one Audio control, this has 2, and there is an extra button for that.

Internally, someone posted some differences, and I believe those to be true. Sony does not like mentioning the 24p mode. It doesn't have one,. It has a cineframe mode, that using some motion blurr gives you a jittery film like mode. It does not compare to the 24p I get on the XL2. I would not use it for anything - except an effect. (Same for the FX1 though)

The camera head and processing is the same.

The camera is black, instead of the grey of the FX1.
LCD is the same. Did not look into the viewfinder.

Same weight.

Comes with a deluxe Sony charger, so you can charge batteries without the camera.

In effect, the images from it looked 100% the same as the FX1. You get the XLR, You get the additional controls for audio.

Would I sell the FX1 to get one? Nope.

It will have a price tag of $7K Canadian, so that looks like $5500US (although with the US$dollar dropping like a stone, I suspect the US price will be higher.

January is the delivery according to my contacts.

Hope this helps

DBK

Rob Moreno November 8th, 2004 10:31 PM

Can you confirm that it is switchable between NTSC and PAL in DV mode? It also supports DVCAM format, right?

Mark Kubat November 8th, 2004 10:51 PM

well, that just about says it...

Darren, okay, know this sounds kinda lame to ask - but how "final" is the version of the pro that you saw at the show?

Any indication from Sony that there could be "changes?" before final release?

See any brochures or such to indicate the design has been "cast in stone?"

thanks for your report!

Kaku Ito November 8th, 2004 11:57 PM

InterBEE in Japan is happening next week and we will probably see Z1 in person. I will look into new Z1 with eyes of a FX1 user.

Donal Briard November 9th, 2004 06:11 AM

Re: well, that just about says it...

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : Darren, okay, know this sounds kinda lame to ask - but how "final" is the version of the pro that you saw at the show?

thanks for your report! -->>>

Don't expect anything else.

Carlos E. Martinez November 9th, 2004 06:50 AM

Re: Saw & touched the Z1 - my comments

<<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly : .

Comes with a deluxe Sony charger, so you can charge batteries without the camera.

-->>>

Do you mean to charge the batteries on a $3700 camera you need the camera? Looks highly unlikely.

Can those that already got an FX1 on this forum confirm that?

Carlos

Carlos E. Martinez November 9th, 2004 07:02 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : Darren, okay, know this sounds kinda lame to ask - but how "final" is the version of the pro that you saw at the show?

-->>>

Apparently the "final" version is not cast yet, though I can't quite imagine what feedback Sony is after (if that is the reason for the "unclosed" project).

24p is certainly out, as they do not want this camera to compete with their big brothers, so I can't think of what might be an undisclosed option they may be thinking of.

It's not quite clear what are the "TC options", as I have been waiting for a long time for a way to use TC under DV to do quality double system sound. But if you can't lock the camera or the audio recorder to same TC that is not possible. LANC output seems like a way to do it, using proper box, but a more universal and adaptor-free alternative should be introduced.

It's quite likely Sony is waiting until next NAB to release the Z1.

Carlos

Mike Tiffee November 9th, 2004 08:23 AM

Re: Re: Saw & touched the Z1 - my comments

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : <<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly : .

-->>>

Do you mean to charge the batteries on a $3700 camera you need the camera? Looks highly unlikely.

Carlos -->>>

Yes- I have the FX1. You get a power adaptor for the camera, not a battery charger, so you need the camera to charge the batteries. I bought the Sony SOBCV615 BC-V615 Portable AC Charger for $38.99 from B&H and a F770 battery for $74.99.

Rob Moreno November 9th, 2004 09:22 AM

I was on the edge of buying an FX-1 a few weeks ago (had my credit card on the counter). But in Japan it's a different story. The charger and battery are sold separately as a "kit" for an extra $200+ more. I wasn't that the store was trying to rip me off; it states that the battery kit is sold separately in the brochure. That and a few other things made me decide to hold off. Anyway, the charger in the kit is a regular type charger; it can charge the battery without the camera.

Darren Kelly November 9th, 2004 09:30 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Moreno : Can you confirm that it is switchable between NTSC and PAL in DV mode? It also supports DVCAM format, right? -->>>

It is both 60i and 50i, which means yes it is switchable. That would be for all recording modes BTW

DBK

Darren Kelly November 9th, 2004 09:31 AM

thanks for your report! -->>>

There were no brocures available. This was a camera you could touch and feel. It is a final version of the camera. I would suggest there won't be any changes.

The video looked exactly the same as the FX1.

DBK

Darren Kelly November 9th, 2004 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Saw & touched the Z1 - my comments

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : <<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly : .

-->>>

Carlos -->>>

Well my $3700 camera is required to charge the battery. Same situation with the PD150 before it. I own the camera Carlos....this is true. On the Pro version it is not required as they provide a 2 position charger.

DBK

Darren Kelly November 9th, 2004 09:37 AM

Re: Re: well, that just about says it...

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez :
It's quite likely Sony is waiting until next NAB to release the Z1.

Carlos -->>>

Ships in January. NAB is in April

DBK

Carlos E. Martinez November 9th, 2004 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: well, that just about says it...

<<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly :

Ships in January. NAB is in April
-->>>

That's the original info I had too. But seeing the camera being introduced at so many equipment shows still "stripped" made me think they would delay the release.

About the charger, it's really a shame that they do not include an external battery charger.

What batteries did you buy for it? Did you get the external charger and/or other batteries?

Carlos

Darren Kelly November 9th, 2004 10:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: well, that just about says it...

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : <<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly :

What batteries did you buy for it? Did you get the external charger and/or other batteries?

Carlos -->>>

It comes with a NP-F570, Becuase of my ownership of the PD150 and the VX1000 I had a number of Lithium Ion batteries, including a 960.

The 960 says it will record for 500 minutes. Who knows what reality is.

As to the charger...I own 3 sony devices that charge this type of battery. 2 of them are always plugged in and don't leave the studio, so I just use those to charge for me.

I'm just too cheap to buy a $200 charger.

DBK