DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   New member, Video Assist/FX1 Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/34983-new-member-video-assist-fx1-questions.html)

Evan Estay November 15th, 2004 07:25 AM

New member, Video Assist/FX1 Questions

Hey everyone, new to this forum, just thought I would start by saying hello =] Seems like lots of helpful people on this forum.

I have been lurking a bit on this forum, a DP friend of mine is borderline obsessed with this camera (FX1). so to shut him up (jk :p) I am taking the plunge and purchasing the FX1 next week.

I will also be purchasing a JVC DT-V1710CG 17" studio monitor to go with my camera. This will be my window the world, as I am usually not operating the camera.

What would sweeten the deal tenfold for me is wireless video assist. I will be filming some skateboarding, but I also enjoy to torment my operators with long, complex camera moves. I have used wireless assist with film cameras and the HD-900 many times, but a call to B&H told me that that would be impossible with this "consumer" camera?

is this correct?

I also saw this little item on the birns & sawyer website...would something like this work, when designed for the fx1? i dont quite understand what it does :p

http://www.birnsandsawyer.com/cgibin...atalogno=PROX1

another thing....what cable would i actually use for video assist? Im a bit confused...is it component, rca, what? if someone could give me an answer, perhaps with a link to a pic of it, i would appreciate it very much. I need to get the longest cable possible, if it matters :)

lets see....what else...

the only other larger thing that "worries" me about this camera is the 12x Zoom. I enjoy doing crazy, aronofsky-like ECU's at times, and I wonder if this 12x zoom will cut it. Did someone say that a 12x zoom is the same one employed by the VX2000? I have a friend with one and I could play around with it, if so.

lastly, has anyone heard from century optics or anyone similar about accessories/addons for the FX1 on the horizon?

thx in advance =]

Mike Tiffee November 15th, 2004 08:48 AM

12X zoom could be better but it's not bad.

As far as video assist, there is a composite out just like any other camcorder.. you won't be able to do HD, but you can show them 16x9 downconverted (which still looks sharp and awesome!) It will work just like you've done in the past. And you'll still be recording HDV on tape.

Evan Estay November 15th, 2004 09:00 AM

wait....your saying i will not be able to watch HD 1080i signal on the HD monitor i am spending thousands on?

its SD for video out...?

erm...

Alex Pappas November 15th, 2004 09:52 AM

Hm.. I'm not familiar with the JVC monitor your looking at.
But an HD critical monitor should have no problem displaying the 1080i.

I'll take a look online at the monitor but if its HD complient, then yes, it will work with the Video Out option on the FX1.

Tom Hardwick November 15th, 2004 09:59 AM

The 12x zoom is not the same as the 12x zoom on the VX2k. The latter equates to something like 43mm to 516mm in 35mm still camera terms, whereas the 12x zoom on the FX1 (same as the DVX100A incidentally) is much more like a 32mm to 384mm.
So you get more wide-angle but less telephoto.

tom.

Charles Papert November 15th, 2004 10:04 AM

Evan:

The system you linked to is more of a way to turn consumer cameras into functional multi-camera setups for live TV or events, that sort of thing. Not really a video assist type device.

I could be wrong, but I would recommend holding off on the HD studio monitor if you are planning to primarily use cameras like the FX1, at least for a while. If you are intend to use it with the F900, sure, but with the little guys, it's not like you can paint them to the point where a full-on HD monitor really makes that much sense. Once a range of HD monitors get "prosumer-ized" to match these new wave of cameras (i.e. lesser features and substantially reduced prices without the broadcast system price tags), as will no doubt happen, the choice should be more apparent. Have you seen the system that converts the SDI signal to be used in conjunction with an Apple Cinema Display? Looks like a great option, much more portable too.

Mike Tiffee November 15th, 2004 10:54 AM

You asked about wireless video assist.. of course you can display HD on a monitor by hooking the cables up to a HD monitor.. but a wireless HD video assist.. I don't know of any. You can for sure hook up a wireless video assist and watch a downconverted feed.. which is fine for a video assist. You don't need a HD video assist anyway. If you do, then you'll have to go hardwired.. unless you know of a HD video assist that I don't know about.

The camera can output 1394, component HD, S-video, and composite.

Evan Estay November 15th, 2004 12:31 PM

thx for all the tips guys.

here is a link to the monitor in question

http://www.expandore.com/product/JVC/Monitor/DTV_1710CG.htm

i just found out it is 51 lbs....ouch D:

I did briefly think of the cinema display option...that could be cool, but yet i am a bit iffy in terms of LCD's. I am just used to studio CRT monitors, and I will be out in the sun alot (granted, flagged off or under a tarp when it really counts).

Does anyone have any exp using the cinema display or anything similar?

as for the prosumer-monitor option, do you happen to know of anything coming up on the horizon, Charles?

Lastly, what will be the best cable to run video from the FX1 to this monitor I have listed (JVC DTV-1710CG), component? I havent actually added the cable to my shopping cart because I am unsure. Quality and no lag time are paramount, as well as being able to buy a long (50-150ft) cable. I was told by B&H I could only go as far as 50ft?

again, thank you for your advice everyone =]

Dustin Cross November 15th, 2004 03:07 PM

Evan,

The component HD out from the camera should work just fine with the JVC monitor component HD in.

As for wireless video assist, I use a cheap 2.4ghz system with composite SD video in. Several places sell them. The composite out on the FX1 sends an SD signal that will work fine with any of these 2.4ghz systems.

Evan Estay November 15th, 2004 03:28 PM

thx for the reply Dustin, do you think you could provide me with a link or name of the wireless system you use?

Dustin Cross November 15th, 2004 08:21 PM

Evan,

I got my wireless stuff custom modified from www.securityworkz.com, because I wanted BNC conectors instead of RCA connectors. RCA plugs strip out after about a month of good use.

Markertek and others sell pretty much the same thing:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?off=0

Markertek also has the wireless LCD I got:
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=COPS%2D2400LR&off=3

Even though the system says 4 channel, you can't use more than two at a time.

Hope that helps.

Darren Kelly November 15th, 2004 10:29 PM

http://www.ikegami.com/bstock_sale.html

This link will take you to Ikegami's Bstock HD monitors. These are great units, I bought one last year. The deal I got was a 22,800 monitor for about $2200.

There are similar deals there today. Mine was an NAB demo for a couple of years, then made it's way to me.

Now, I'm not complaining about the JVC, it's also a fine monitor, but these are broadcast monitors, typically SMPTE phospher and are as recognized as can be in the industry.

They are heavy. Be prepared to spend some money on shipment (Mine was $100 by ground)

Cheers

DBK

Jay Nemeth November 16th, 2004 12:08 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Evan:

but with the little guys, it's not like you can paint them to the point where a full-on HD monitor really makes that much sense. -->>>

Not much paint control, but you're still lighting the set to the point where a critical monitor makes sense. I use either a 26" HD monitor or if it's a smaller crew, a 12" SD monitor, both CRTs with SMPTE C phosphors.

When the day comes that the telecine guys are using LCDs and Plasmas to color correct, then I will consider not using CRTs.

Jay