Wide angle for Sony HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Wide angle for Sony HDV

When I started reading about Sony's HDV release, one thing that seemed to be part of the project was a special wide-angle adapter for these cameras.

Am I mixing up info in my mind (age does that) or what?

Not any wide-angle lens can be put up in front if we want to preserve the quality we get with HDV.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Carlos, refresh my memory.

Do you yet have the camera or ?

The only thing I can say about this lens is it is very wide to start with. No, It's not fisheye or 180 degrees, but it does give you some very wide views.

DBK
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I ordered the wide angle lens and it should arrive tomorrow.. i'll let you know how it looks.. and will post some frame grabs, etc.
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 04:57 AM   #4
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly : Carlos, refresh my memory.

Do you yet have the camera or ?

The only thing I can say about this lens is it is very wide to start with. No, It's not fisheye or 180 degrees, but it does give you some very wide views.
-->>>

Does it matter whether I have the camera now?

My decision on which version I will buy, FZX1 or Z1, will be based on some things I am waiting for.

My duty, as a responsible investor and filmmaker, is to find out everything I can before going on. And looking for my better option. That should be the attitude of all people here, and I would risk to say it is. So what is it you are really asking?

In my case I do not live in a place where I can got out and buy the camera or any pro accessory. So I have to gather as much information as I can in places like this Forum. In due time, when I get the equipment and use it, I will tell about my experience here.

As I was also hurt by other situations where I was one of the first to buy new gear, I am also not too anxious to go buy this camera until the bugs are solved. Remember the recent problem with the first PD170 units, with the noisy audio stages.

I am aware of the excellent cappabilities and reach of the present lens, but you always find situations where you want more. To open up or reach longer.

My question was very simple: was Sony planning on an specific add-on for the HDVs?

Carlos
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : <<<

Does it matter whether I have the camera now?

Carlos -->>>

The basis for my question was to determine if you had seen how wide the stock lens is. Most people think the wide end of the lens is OK, but the long end could use some help.

That was all

No need to take offense.

There are and will be add on lenses for this camera. Look to Sony and to Century Optics.

DBK
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #6
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly :

The basis for my question was to determine if you had seen how wide the stock lens is. Most people think the wide end of the lens is OK, but the long end could use some help.

That was all

No need to take offense.

There are and will be add on lenses for this camera. Look to Sony and to Century Optics.

-->>>

I was not offended, perhaps a bit impatient at the question. I did see the Z1 at an equipment show, and the lens was quite good.

As I said, every filmmaker is always looking for some way to go wider, as standard lenses are usually designed to provide the field of a 35mm lens in 35mm or 12mm in 16mm, which always needed to be improved. Particularly when shooting on location, where space is always a problem.

Carlos
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #7
New Boot

telephoto lens????

Sony has a wide angle lens which you attach to the front of the camera - model number is VCL-HG0872.

Cost me US$485 and I should have it later this week.

No information on a telephoto lens from Sony and this is something I'm chasing. Does anyone have any suggestions??
I'm shooting some sport and can't get close enough into the action at the moment.
any lens suggestions? Please provide links if you can.

thanks
Wes Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The lens arrived today. I've posted some frame grabs comparing the wide angle lens to the normal wide angle from the FX-1.
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Great pictures

I think that wide angle lens is a great addition to any FX1 rig. I wish they would market a tele lens also.

A very basic question: Are there any alternatives to this lens from other manufacturers (Century?). Any 72 mm lens would work?

Ric
Ricardo Renaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Mike, could you please email those images to me so that we can host them here as well. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:29 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm sorry to throw cold water onto the argument that going wider is a good thing because (as many of you will know) I'm a wide-angle freak. But those comparison pictures that Mike posted showing the Sony 0.8x w/angle converter simply leave me rather cold.

The FX1 goes pretty wide using the standard zoom, but the barrel distortion (even with a fancy Zeiss badge) is a disappointment to me. Even adding the 'perfect' (ie zero distortion) wide-angle converter will extrapolate that distortion further, adding to the barreling, and Mike's shots tend to confirm this.

As the Sony lens is a zoom through it's going to add barrel distortion of its own. Not much, mind you, but it'll be there. And what get's me is this - after all the hassle factor of fitting the converter (hood off.. filter off.. store these.. lens caps off w/a .. store these.. attach lens .. attach hood.. carry extra weight .. have more bulk .. lose a bit of sharpness .. add more flare) I'd want it to be a dramatic improvement in the angle of view, or.. why bother?

Let's see what Century come up with in the next 12 months. I'm guessing the market will be huge.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:15 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I'm looking forward to centurys new .3 Ultra wide they're making for the FX-1. (3-6 months away)

Their ProDV line will work with the FX-1 and they're building the bayonet mount for it now and should have it ready in a few weeks they say.

Note: I have noticed absolutely no loss in sharpness when using the Sony WA- especially in 12X zoom through.
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #13
Trustee

When I shot some material with the FX1 yesterday, whereas I was quite happy with the standard wide end of the zoom, I really could have done with the tighter end being even more so.
Apart from that, it's a nice camera giving very sharp images.
I was impressed with the downconversion from HDV to DV via Firewire to another DV camera.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I agree Robin, the loss of the telephoto reach (over the pD170, say) is most noticeable. You'd have to have a 1.4x telephoto converter on the FX1 to match the 170, and you'd still be half a stop down (f2.8 vs f2.4). So differential focus will be harder to obtain, though this will be counterbalanced somewhat by the hi-def, where just slightly out of focus objects will be more obvious than they would be in SD.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

You know, quite honestly, if I may add my two pennies here...

The lense on the FX1 is so bloody wide that I don't really see a need to have a Wide Angle Adaptor for it.

When zoomed out all the way, the lense is quite wide. Unless your looking for Fish Eye, save your money and get yourself an HD Monitor... I promise it will be MUCH more usefull.

-alex

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1