Pro Z1 will be presented in Toronto on Thurs. night... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 19th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #16
Major Player

Very Interesting.

I'm guessing the Z1 I saw at the WAB show in Vancouver a week ago was the same one you saw. We couldn't touch the camera in Vancouver, I guess they let you guys go further.

So the bottom line is no one knows what the Z1 is going to perform like.

February will be interesting...

DBK
Old November 19th, 2004, 05:03 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

You guys probably saw an MT sample (that's a "market test" unit, made prior to full line production, they tend to be about 80% to 90% complete). Most likely that's all they had to show. It's still very early for the Z1U considering it isn't shipping until Feb.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 06:00 AM   #18
Trustee

Grade A and Grade B? That kind of stuff P.O.'s me because they have said that the FX1 and Z1 have identical insides up until now. If they Grade A and Grade B the internal pieces I'd be extremely upset right now if I had bought the FX1. Does this mean you're out on a shoot in the cold or heat, and all of a sudden the inside parts slip?!

It's possible that guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, and I hope that's true.

Murph
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #19
Major Player

Mark, I'm in Toronto too. What show are you talking about for next week? Thanks.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Any gradation in quality control is going to be something on the order of Grade A = 99.95% and Grade B = 99.0% and anything less would fail QC. It's not *that* big of a deal, but if you're shooting professionally (as part of a business) then you shouldn't use a consumer-grade camcorder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #21
Major Player

Lower resolution with 24F sounds like slow shutter speeds in sony's dv cameras: they only use one field of the frame.
No interlacing artifacts, but lower resolution...
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #22
Major Player

Sony - love 'em and hate 'em. The way they never tell the complete truth up front...they still think their marketing dept is smarter than the consumer. That's so old school boys, old school..

..that said, they still have the tech know how. They know everyone will want one...

Actually, I'm thinking about getting two of the Z-1's and renting one out. What do you guys think, $225 a day about right?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1