DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Played with the FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/35735-played-fx1.html)

Heath McKnight December 1st, 2004 02:04 AM

Played with the FX1

Interesting and cool camera. One of my students bought two and I was messing around with it at a shoot last night. It's a nice camera. I couldn't figure out how to turn off the auto features (no instruction manual), plus I was working on the film shoot.

I also looked at the LCD (which is clear like the view finder) in HDV mode and DV mode and noticed no difference (both shoot in native 16:9), but it wasn't lit or anything. Plus, I doubt the LCD/view finder is HD native.

We turned on the CineFrame 24 and I stood next to my student holding a DVX100A in 24p mode. Kinda looked the same, but a TV in the background had flicker on the 100A and not the FX1.

I'm gonna play around with it more on Friday, I think. So, more soon.

Also, I just found out this Boca Raton company is showing off the Avid XPress Pro HD system and the Z1 (!) next Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'm gonna try to go!

heath

Joonas Kiviharju December 1st, 2004 07:13 AM

1. Before you can use manual, you have to switch the AUTO LOCK switch to it's center position. The switch is somewhere in the left side, near the cameraman and in the bottom corner. (If I remember correctly.)
2. You can turn off the auto stuff by pushing the buttons on the left of the camera. There's one button for each: gain, iris, shutter, white balance.
Now, you can adjust them manually. Shutter is adjusted from the menu dial.

Chris Hurd December 1st, 2004 12:38 PM

Heath, if you go to Boca, please take some photos! Of the presentation, that is...

Christopher C. Murphy December 1st, 2004 12:42 PM

I say you accidently get lost going to the bathroom and shoot a film with the camera! Then, of course, bring it back a few hours later. :) :) :)

Heath McKnight December 1st, 2004 02:55 PM

We're using both cameras on Sunday for a short film, should be fun! I'm gonna get a lot of hands-on experience with it.

Chris, I'll be at the Wednesday show. I hope the Z1 is there.

heath

Joe Carney December 2nd, 2004 10:37 AM

Heath, could you email me the location and time of the events? Maybe I could pass the word around to a few others interested.

tuffcom@comcast.net

Thanks
Joe C.

Heath McKnight December 2nd, 2004 03:30 PM

Dec. 7 and 8, 2004, 11 am to 7 pm.

Embassy Suites Hotel

"Bermuda Room"

661 NW 53rd Street

Boca Raton, FL 33487

(561) 994.8200

RSVP - (561) 995.9199

info@provideosales.com

heath

Heath McKnight December 2nd, 2004 04:13 PM

One thing I just remembered. The zoom ring is set up with numbers like the DVX100A, but unlike the DVX100A, when the zoom is in servo mode (and you can hit the zoom in and zoom out feature and it moves), the ring does NOT move. So, if the ring is all the way zoomed out but I'm zoomed all the way in in servo mode, I switch to manual and the camera automatically zooms to where ever I put the ring at.

I wish the ring moved in servo mode, like the DVX100A and most other cameras.

heath