DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   HDV for U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/35772-hdv-u.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 1st, 2004 09:02 PM

HDV for U

We've got some raw m2t files on our site for free download, if you'd like to play with raw HDV, straight from the camera.
Check em' out http://www.vasst.com/HDV/FX-1_images.htm Very detail oriented with moving waters, feathers, etc.

Jim Arthurs December 2nd, 2004 10:34 AM

As a side note, these appear to be from Dream-lx's footage and are CF25 m2t's.

Finally, some CF25 material! (though with some degree of sharpness/edge detailing) To me, this is the biggest "video" artifact that I've seen from these cameras, and one that can be removed with a simple menu setting. Leaving it off is good practice in general, and you can always ADD edge sharpness, but never get rid of it.

No one has yet posted a clip with sharpness turned off. Pretty please?

Jim Arthurs

David Cherniack December 2nd, 2004 04:53 PM

And it would be very nice to see a handheld walking shot at 25 cf :)

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 2nd, 2004 05:00 PM

We're taking a Z1 to the motorcycle races after DV Expo is over, I'll post some stuff there, how's that? :-)

David Cherniack December 16th, 2004 06:09 PM

Spot,

Have you posted those clips yet?

David

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 16th, 2004 06:17 PM

No! I'm sick about it. We shot the footage, went to capture, and didn't check the capture. It showed we cap'd correctly, but we didn't find out til later that afternoon, and the cam is gone. I'm gonna borrow an FX1 from someone in SLC, we'll capture again with that. Apologies. I should have checked. I was so excited! It looked great on a DVI monitor though.

David Cherniack December 16th, 2004 07:04 PM

I'll look forward to seeing them - though if you shot cf25 with a Z1 will they play on an FX1? Ain't it fun breaking new ground.

David

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 16th, 2004 07:09 PM

They should play on the FX-1, as the encoding is done before tape. But...I'm not sure, and frankly, the guys in Jersey don't know either. That's one thing we weren't able to test. There are just so few Z1's around in the US right now...We'll have one back soon enough, as we're presenting it at the Sundance Film Fest for Sony.
Have you seen the fully loaded Z1U? Dang, but what a nice piece of work!

http://www.vasst.com/HDV/hdv_z1_images.htm

David Cherniack December 16th, 2004 07:27 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle :
Have you seen the fully loaded Z1U? Dang, but what a nice piece of work!
-->>>
Very nice. Which Chroziel matt box is that?

David

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 16th, 2004 07:28 PM

I'm not sure of the model, and in fact, I think it's a prototype because they were discussing how to further make it better. The mic on the front of the cam creates a small problem for loading filters, so filters are bottom loaded in this box currently. They were talking about an extension that wouldn't create a vignette.

David Cherniack December 16th, 2004 07:36 PM

>>The mic on the front of the cam creates a small problem for loading filters,<<

We knew that would be a problem when they decided to keep the stereo mic on the Z1. Inverting them shouldn't be too problematic (gaffer tape saves all) until the modified boxes arrive.

Toke Lahti December 17th, 2004 08:45 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Have you seen the fully loaded Z1U? Dang, but what a nice piece of work! -->>>

How useful is that focus pull wheel with sony's electronical focus ring?

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 17th, 2004 09:42 AM

Very useful. You can turn the electronics off, and the way it "disconnects" from the servo, it's incredibly smooth.

Toke Lahti December 17th, 2004 02:34 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Very useful. You can turn the electronics off, and the way it "disconnects" from the servo, it's incredibly smooth. -->>>
So by turning electronics off, you can make focus ring to work like mechanical focus ring?
I thought that it was same kind of infinitly rolling ring like pd150 and the others have.
To those you can't make any markings, because focus distances changes depending the speed of rolling.
I never had any problems to turn those rings smoothy, only if I would knew when to stop (max sharpness)...

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 17th, 2004 03:18 PM

No, it's still virtual, just like the PD. But, it "feels" different when disconnected. I'm not explaining it well. Regarding the follow focus, you can set markers there, and it worked just fine while I was playing with it. Unfortunately, I didn't "focus" on the follow focus as much as I should have, I'll look more closely when I next have the cam again, which isn't far off.