DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Mattebox anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/35874-mattebox-anyone.html)

Tim Brown December 3rd, 2004 04:41 PM

Mattebox anyone?

I know the FX1 has been available only for a short time, but does anyone know if any of the available matteboxes compatible with these new cams?

It seems that the mic placement may hinder sliding and rotating functions of many matteboxes, but I'm looking for someone with first hand knowledge.

Thanks.

-Tim

Al Chapman December 4th, 2004 07:54 AM

I have yet to find a 4x4 matte box that is useable with my FX1. My petroff won't fit at all, chrosiels won't fit either. A have been able to squeeze a vocas matte box undet the mic but you can't rotate the filter trays and you have to use them either sideways or upsidedown so not much good for use with grads. You can use a cokin P series filter holder.

Carlos E. Martinez December 10th, 2004 06:45 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Al Chapman : I have yet to find a 4x4 matte box that is useable with my FX1. My petroff won't fit at all, chrosiels won't fit either. A have been able to squeeze a vocas matte box undet the mic but you can't rotate the filter trays and you have to use them either sideways or upsidedown so not much good for use with grads. You can use a cokin P series filter holder. -->>>

Can you use circular filters for grad or pola purposes?

What shade can you use if you put a Cokin P holder?

Carlos

Carlos E. Martinez December 10th, 2004 06:52 AM

Stubborn as I am, I keep looking for a likely way to use a mattebox on the FX1, with all its functions.

Perhaps this one can do:

http://www.cavision.com/SonyHDRFX1.htm

Carlos

Bill Piedra December 11th, 2004 08:31 PM

Thats a very good question. Has anyone had any experience with the Century Optics Mattbox? That was what I was thinking of, but I think the mic will get in the way. (why did they have to do that?)

I don't think the Century will fit, but it is the nicest one that I've ever worked with. I kind of like the 'look' of the CAVISION matte box - it really lends a 'movie camera' style - but function is much more important than form.

Davi Dortas December 11th, 2004 09:07 PM

I wonder how useful a handgrip would be if it didnt have a record trigger. Seems awkward to use if it doesnt have a LANC control on the grip.

Bill Piedra December 11th, 2004 09:22 PM

I agree - what would be the purpose if it didn't have LANC? OK, hold the camera steady by the new handle, and ask a friend to turn that really nice manual zoom ring.

If anyone is using an FX1 with a matte box today, I'd like to know about their experiences/success/failure.

=====
One more note for CARLOS MARTINEZ - I tried to email you, but you blocked your address.

I lived in Rio for 3 years - a long time ago, my address there was 211 Barao de Jaguaripe, Ipanema. I Lived 2 blocks from Clube dos Caicaras and was a member there as well. Drop me a note - would love to someday use Rio, more specifically, Ipanema / Leblon as a location. (if I can get my HDTV Studio Project off the ground!)

billrock_us@yahoo.com
or
william.piedra@msanswers.com

Carlos E. Martinez December 12th, 2004 07:34 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Piedra :
One more note for CARLOS MARTINEZ - I tried to email you, but you blocked your address.
-->>>

Sorry, I am trying to change that setting but I don't know how. Can anyone guide me on that?

To Bill: I will e-mail you later on. Will tell you about my projects and maybe we can gather forces.

Carlos

Bill Piedra December 13th, 2004 06:05 PM

How about the Century Optics Mattebox? Does anyone have any experience with that one?

Michael Morlan December 13th, 2004 06:48 PM

Can the mic be removed? Seems to me if you are wanting to spend the coin on the production value a matte box provides, you are also planning on recording audio with an external mic/mixer setup.

Removing the onboard mic would be the first thing I do.

Bill Piedra December 13th, 2004 06:57 PM

It doesn't look like it can be removed, and I would be using and external XLR mic

Carlos E. Martinez December 13th, 2004 09:23 PM

There's also a shoe connector just above the mic.

We should have to wait until someone starts to do small mods to the camera, like:

1) Removing the mics

2) Hacking the NTSC & PAL setting.

Carlos

Bas Ladru December 24th, 2004 06:09 AM

Gentleman,

Please let me introduce myself;
Bas Ladru, from Vocas the manufacturer of the Century matteboxes.

In the states our DV matteboxes are mainly sold under the Century brand, and in the rest of the world under our own brand.

Our matteboxes do fit on the Sony HDV's!
There is one small problem, the T shaped handle of the filter frame interferes with the microphone, but this can be solved to use the frames upside down.
At the moment we are working very hard to produce a new filter frame with a shorter handle, which allows the frame to be used as normal.
These new frames will be available in the first or second week of January.
By that time we will also have a 15mm rail support available for this camera.
Please check out our website in one or two weeks.
www.vocas.com

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions about matteboxes.

Regards,

Bas Ladru

Bill Piedra December 24th, 2004 09:37 AM

Thanks for the information Bas. I was considering the purchase of a Century Matte Box for my FX1. Will it work as a clamp on until the rail system comes out?

Bas Ladru December 27th, 2004 02:05 AM

Dear Bill,

Yes, the mattebox works as clip-on on this camera.
You can always add any accesory later, like the new FX1 support.
The new support will be available next week. The special FX1 filterframes most likely also.

The compact mattebox works fine on the FX1. If you plan on buying a wide-angle converter later on (for example the Century one), you will need the wide angle version of our DV mattebox.

Regards, Bas

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Piedra : Thanks for the information Bas. I was considering the purchase of a Century Matte Box for my FX1. Will it work as a clamp on until the rail system comes out? -->>>