HVR-Z1 and 24P - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 8th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #31
MPS Digital Studios

Sony doesn't want 24p because it may actually interfere with sales of their larger cameras, or so they fear?? That's a theory...

heath
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #32
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

Two notes:

Perhaps Sony doesn't want to pay the licensing fees for 24p to my friend Rob Farber who owns the patent.

As for specs, who ever thought that 24p was part of a formats spec. It doesn't have to be to be included in a design. It's a add-on to a spec. Remember that 24p isn't in the SD spec either but that hasn't stopped Canon and Panasonic. 24p is less a spec and more an add-on. If it wasn't for introducing 24p to professional HD cameras two years after they were introduced to the world we would have not HD today. The 24p gimmick is what sold the camera .
Walter Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Re: why so hard to do 24 Hz on FX1?

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : I know FCP has 25>24p "filter" - what's the best way to do this on the PC side in say Vegas? -->>>

1. Put 25p footage on timeline.
2. Bring up Event Properties.
3. Set "Playback rate" to "0.959" (-4% / 1.001)
4. Set "Disable Resample"
5. Hit "OK". Trim event out to new length.

You (or someone) could write a Vegas script that does this to selected events. In that case, set the rate to 24/25*1000/1001.

///d@
Sony Media Software
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #34
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Walter Graff :
Perhaps Sony doesn't want to pay the licensing fees for 24p to my friend Rob Farber who owns the patent.
-->>>

It's a joke , right?

How can anyone own a patent to 24p? That's a norm, not a product.

Probably the ridiculous, if it wasn't serious, ways of the US patent office. Thank goodness piracy is taking over!

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #35
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

Rob Farber holds a patent for the use of 24p technology in cameras. Not in software on the computer, but any camera that creates 24p is subject to his patent. He just signed a big deal with Panasonic licencing them the use of 24p, already has Sony and Thompson.
Walter Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #36
Major Player

So Walter, then if these guys making these homemade cameras use 24p then they owe him a fee?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #37
Major Player

24p and HDV

<<<--

As for specs, who ever thought that 24p was part of a formats spec. It doesn't have to be to be included in a design. It's a add-on to a spec. Remember that 24p isn't in the SD spec either but that hasn't stopped Canon and Panasonic. 24p is less a spec and more an add-on. If it wasn't for introducing 24p to professional HD cameras two years after they were introduced to the world we would have not HD today. The 24p gimmick is what sold the camera .
-->>>

There is NO "TRUE TRUE 24p" DV, only 25 or 29.97. There is a pulldown in any 24p DV camera (iether 2323 or 2332) to allow an NLE to create a 24p timeline out of DV encoded MOVs or AVIs, but all DV cameras record either 25 or 29.97 to tape, even i they are scanning at 24fps at the CCD.

remember - 3fps isn't in the SD spec either but you can get it simply lowering the shutter speed on most cameras!

I would consider the XL2 and the DXV100 "Half TRUE 24P" (as is the Varicam but in a sense there is no disadvantage compared to TRUE TRUE 24P if you see what I mean). A "TRUE TRUE 24p" Cam would be the HDW900F. which scans AND records 24p (or 23.976, near as damnit).

It seems the CF24 in the FX1 AND the Z1U just drops out one frame in six for CF24 and then inserts a 2:3 pulldown, hence the jerkiness of motion. Quite were the overall shiveriness of the image comes from isn't yet as clear, it could be that the GOP structure is passing on artefacts from the pull down frame into preceeding and following frames. Therefore, even if Sony introduced 48Hz CCDs and a 2:3:3:2 cadence a la the DXV100, there would still be some issues because one frame in 5 (that's 3 frames in every GOP) would have sudden interlace artefacts, unlike the preceeding 2 and following 2 frames.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

We're getting way off topic here. Let's go back to the Z1 and 24p.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1