DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   telephoto options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/35953-telephoto-options.html)

Wes Greene December 5th, 2004 06:57 PM

telephoto options

Great camera but lacking telephoto.

Century is still a while from having their 1.6 available and even then I could do with more length to get closer to the action.

Another option is to source a long (300-500mm) photography lens and use an adapter to make it work on the FX1.

Has anyone done this?
Can you provide an expanation, details and links to a solution?
Any alternative solutions?
Costings?

cheers

Joel Corral December 15th, 2004 04:35 PM

Telephoto Lens For HDR-FX1

Telephoto Lens For HDR-FX1-

any suggestions? also what is the lens size i am looking for? 73mm? thanks

joel

Steve Nunez December 15th, 2004 04:37 PM

While using a camera lens would be a great idea- since Sony doesn't make SLR's what lens would they support?

Also it would require making an adapter that allows the lens' rear element to get as close as possible to the CCD array....I really doubt this could happen without a complete redesign of the FX..........great idea in theory but I doubt Sony would be the co. to get it done- now Canon is a diff story- they could pull it off if they chose that direction- they make lenses and the XL series used an EF adapter which allowed slr lenses...

...we can still dream!

Barry Green December 15th, 2004 04:58 PM

72mm. But there are no quality teleconverters out yet -- Century has a 1.6 that they're working on converting for the FX1 (I believe) but I don't know if it'll have the clarity of glass you'll need for best results with HDV resolution. I'm sure they wouldn't release the product unless it was up to standards.

You'll see lots of 72mm teleconverter lenses offered on ebay, usually "Crystal Vision" or "Crystal Optics" or "Digital Optics" -- save your money, ignore those, as they just don't work.

Joel Corral December 15th, 2004 05:49 PM

thanks barry. ill just have to wait.

Bill Turner December 18th, 2004 11:21 AM

The Century 1.6X Tele-photo Converter is compatible (optically) with the new Sony HDV cameras. The results are excellent.

The unit mounts using the the bayonets that secure the factory supplied sunshade. We have just started delivering them, tho availability will be limited for a bit, until production is up to speed.

You should contact your local dealer or Century www.centuryoptics.com for price and delivery info.

Bill Turner December 18th, 2004 11:32 AM

In another thread in this section, I announced that the Century 1.6X Telephoto is now available in a bayonet mount to fit the Sony HDV camera. The results are excellent. Contact your dealer or Century www.centuryoptics.com for info, availability will be limited for a while.

While adapting a tele-photo lens to the camera is an intriguing idea, it would involve removing the existing lens (not a solution) or a complex relay optical system ( ala Mini35 by P+S) which aside from high cost, introduces a whole new set of problems.

If extreme tele is required, your current best option is a camera with interchangeable lenses, such as the Canon XL2. If it is a rare need and you are not going to be on a remote location, renting a camera for those shots would also be an option.

Mike Tiffee December 18th, 2004 12:03 PM

Bill,

I can't find any information on this lens on your web site. is there a part # for this when calling my dealer?

Bill Turner December 18th, 2004 04:56 PM

You are correct, we haven't added the info on the Sony HDV accessories to the website yet.

The stock number for the Century 1.6 tele-converter is:

0VS-16TC-HDV and the list price is $995.

If you go to the PRO DV section of video accessories and look at the those for the Panasonic DVX100/100A all the dimensional and other info is the same. Because the Sony camera has a 12X lens as opposed to the 10X on the Panasonic, the maximum magnification is a bit higher.

Evan Estay December 19th, 2004 03:23 PM

not to go OT but will century be producing a fisheye lens for the FX1 that will not vignette?

Bill Turner December 19th, 2004 04:05 PM

We have done a preliminary design, but to produce an ultrafisheye, similar to the one we make for the Sony PD150/170 and the Canon GL1/2 for the larger, wider lens on the Sony HDV camera will require something much larger, heavier and considerably more expensive that the current model.

We are continueing to look at the problem and see if a more compact solution can be found.

The smaller fisheye that is currently in production for the HDV Sony does not have quite the coverage that an Ultra Fisheye would, but is quite nice on the Sony HDV cameras.

Evan Estay December 19th, 2004 04:55 PM

Thanks for your input Bill.

Are you referring to the fisheye adapter listed on the century website?

I am looking to purchase some kind of fisheye and the 1.6 teleconverter this month for my new FX1. Is there somewhere around town (Hollywood/Burbank...really wherever in LA) where I can inspect the adapters and try them out on the camera before I purchase?

Again, thank you for your assitance, I look forward to getting these goodies and more (mattebox anyone? :P) from you guys in the next 2 months, I have had good experiences with your optics before

Bill Turner December 19th, 2004 10:23 PM

If you are in the Los Angeles area, why not consider coming by our office/factory in Van Nuys? We would be glad to let you check out any of the products. The office is open M-F 8-4:30 ( I would recomment calling first to insure someone will be available to help you).

If you call the office 818-766-3715 , and ask for sales, they should be able to tell you if anyone in the LA area may have the units in stock-- but they are so new we have not delivered too many yet.