DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   How the FX1 works--a very thorough explanation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/36012-how-fx1-works-very-thorough-explanation.html)

Heath McKnight December 6th, 2004 07:21 PM

How the FX1 works--a very thorough explanation

By Steve Mullen.

heath

John Gaspain December 6th, 2004 07:42 PM

thanks!

Barry Gribble December 6th, 2004 08:47 PM

"very thorough" is an understatement.... wow.

Unfortunate that the FX1 will not be compatible with blu-ray... is that all HDV products to come as well? That severely limits the utility of such a camera....

Dennis Adams December 7th, 2004 09:10 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Gribble : Unfortunate that the FX1 will not be compatible with blu-ray...-->>>

How do you figure? HDV is ideal for Blu-ray, HD DVD, and WMV HD delivery. Of course you'll need to encode properly for each, analogous to shooting DV and delivering DVD.

///d@
Sony Media Software

Barry Gribble December 7th, 2004 01:07 PM

Dennis asked : "How do you figure? HDV is ideal for Blu-ray, HD DVD, and WMV HD delivery."

I don't figure... I just read... did I get it wrong? The article said (answer 1, para 4):

It is not yet clear if the FX1’s i.LINK output will be able to be directly recorded to D-VHS. Sony has already acknowledged the FX1 is will not be compatible with Blu-ray DVD recorders. Sony’s Masashi Imamura stated, “I, personally, definitely want to realize the ability to record HDV on Blu-ray. We are working hard towards this but there are many copyright issues and many technical issues, but I think we can come to a resolution at some point in the near future.”

I guess they are just talking about the i.LINK, not the full HDV on the tape. I don't know enough about blu-ray or i.LINK to know one way or the other. What's your take on it?

Boyd Ostroff December 7th, 2004 02:10 PM

I know very little about all this too. But I think Dennis means you'd capture the FX-1 footage with your NLE, edit, then export in whatever format needed for blu-ray where the results could be burned to disk using an external drive.

Dennis Adams December 7th, 2004 05:35 PM

Yes, exactly, I figured you might want to EDIT your footage first.

While there is some utility to directly copying the stream from an HDV camera to DVHS, HD DVD, or Blu-ray, most folks are going to want to make something useful out of it first.

///d@

Barry Green December 7th, 2004 06:26 PM

Dennis, are you SonicDennis?

Can you please tell me how to make a transport stream from Vegas that will play back to the FX1? I can make transport streams, and I can get CineForm ConnectHD to recognize the stream and even trigger the camera to record, but the camera says "invalid file format" or something and won't allow recording back to the camera.

Is there a "magic recipe" for making MainConcept MPEG-2 files from Vegas that will be compatible with the HDV transport streams?

Dennis Adams December 8th, 2004 09:21 AM

Barry,

Yes, one and the same (also "Dithermaster" on some forums).

We're still cracking that nut. Look for HDV 1080i compliant MPEG-2 templates in the forthcoming 5.0d update.

///d@
Sony Media Software

Kevin Dooley December 8th, 2004 11:52 AM

What happened to 5.0c? I'm still on 5.0b and there wasn't a new update last I checked...like last week sometime...

Barry Green December 8th, 2004 01:18 PM

Whoa, you're dithermaster as well? Here I thought Sony/Sonic was just brimming with talented guys, and it's all been you? Cool. You deserve a raise -- you are the bomb!

Dennis Adams December 8th, 2004 05:11 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Dooley : What happened to 5.0c? -->>>

5.0c was an update strictly for localization (for Japan, I think).

///d@