DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   DV EXPO WEST Report - Day 1: HDV has arrived (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/36101-dv-expo-west-report-day-1-hdv-has-arrived.html)

Darren Kelly December 8th, 2004 06:01 PM

DV EXPO WEST Report - Day 1: HDV has arrived

Spent a couple of hours at DV Expo West today.

Can you say "HDV has arrived?"

There are practically talk about it at every booth. Sony demo's the Z1 - Can't get near it

Canopus has an outstanding editing solution. Realtime like you wouldn't believe.

Pinnacle does too, but I didn't get a demo.

Avid's talking about it, and I beat some info out of Apple that says we're close.

Do you like those DV recorders that attach to the camera's? More than one manufacturer said they will be releasing one soon.

I only spent 3 hours and will be back tomorrow for more meetings and demos. No doubt another report to you.(only got 2.5 hours sleep last night)

HDV has arrived.

DBK

John Gaspain December 8th, 2004 07:38 PM

good news, thanks. I cant wait for vegas 5 to come fully online.

Darrell Essex December 8th, 2004 07:42 PM

DV EXPO

did sony have a big screen to display the hdr-fx1 video on?
i will be there first thing friday. can't wait.
sony say anything about blu-ray for the camera?
harddisk recorder?

Darren Kelly December 8th, 2004 07:44 PM

No, Sony used an HD CRT monitor. Set up is of a model. Very impressive.

No word on a DV Recorder, but I am working on some news onthat front now. More to follow

Didn't get to ask about blue ray. The first day is not the day to visit the sony, canon, panasonic or JVC booths. Way to many bodies in there.

Tomorrow, or when you coome on friday.

Cheers

DBK

Chris Hurd December 8th, 2004 09:55 PM

Darren, are you there for all three days? I'll be there late tomorrow, although I don't expect to get much done outside of attending the keynote by Walter Murch at 6pm. Will be on the floor exploring everything on Friday from 10am to 3pm. We should hook up... say, the Starbuck's counter at noon?

;-)

Barry Green December 9th, 2004 12:32 AM

Sony's already announced that the camera will not be able to record onto blu-ray.

blu-ray's future is uncertain -- it may be technically superior to HD-DVD, but that's never been a determining factor in marketplace success. HD-DVD seems to be far in the lead (with 70% of the studios already signed on) and now apparently Toshiba's come up with something really innovative: a single disc that can hold both a standard-def DVD and a second layer HD-DVD version of the movie on the same disc! You could buy one movie, play it today in your DVD player and it'll be fully compatible, and then in the future when you get an HD-DVD player, it'll be able to read and play the HD-DVD version of the film that's already on the dual-format DVD you bought.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/entertainment/2004-12-07-toshiba-dvd_x.htm

That kind of feature should seal the deal for consumers.

Darren Kelly December 10th, 2004 12:14 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Darren, are you there for all three days? I'll be there late tomorrow, although I don't expect to get much done outside of attending the keynote by Walter Murch at 6pm. Will be on the floor exploring everything on Friday from 10am to 3pm. We should hook up... say, the Starbuck's counter at noon?

;-) -->>>

If we don't run into each other first, see you at noon near Starbucks

DBK

Darren Kelly December 10th, 2004 07:25 PM

Chris,

I'm sorry I missed you at the show. I ended up in an important meeting at 12:00 and didn't get free until after 1.

I sent to the Canon booth looking for you, but I guess you were wandering the floor

I'm still here at the Wilshire Grand if that happens to be your hotel too.

Cheerrs

DBK

Chris Hurd December 11th, 2004 10:16 PM

Ack, I was at the Biltmore. Oh well, another show then Darren! Like you, I was super-busy Friday running around the show floor all day.

Toke Lahti December 12th, 2004 07:13 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green :
now apparently Toshiba's come up with something really innovative: a single disc that can hold both a standard-def DVD and a second layer HD-DVD version of the movie on the same disc! You could buy one movie, play it today in your DVD player and it'll be fully compatible, and then in the future when you get an HD-DVD player, it'll be able to read and play the HD-DVD version of the film that's already on the dual-format DVD you bought.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/entertainment/2004-12-07-toshiba-dvd_x.htm
That kind of feature should seal the deal for consumers. -->>>

I'm not so sure how brilliant this idea is.
Many movies come out with two double layer dvd's nowadays.
So with this dual format you have four discs.
Unless you have dvd carousel changing disc three times in on movie isn't so very convenient.

Things would be diffrent if there would be more layers in one disk...

Kevin Dooley December 12th, 2004 04:06 PM

Generally though (except for in cases of longer movies...) can't you fit a movie onto one layer? I mean a 4.7 GB DVD holds a couple of hours of video right? So usually with dual layer discs doesn't the other layer of the disc get used for DVD "extras" like featurettes, deleted scenes, etc...? So, plop those onto another disc and then encode the HD version onto the second layer? And is this a normal DVD? Or is this a new HD-DVD that has a layer that can be read by today's players? That would certainly change things...

Sorry, I know that was off the original topic (and sorta not relevant to this forum...)

Darrell Essex December 12th, 2004 09:34 PM

on the big screen

i don't know if anyone missed it or not, but if you were at the dv expo, they were showing some footage shot in Bali on an 18' screen in room 301 with a high end 1920x1080 projector.
it looked like it was raw mt2 footage as it was coming out of the hdv deck.
all i can say is it looked so Beautiful.
if it was a woman, i'd marry it and not look back.
can't wait to get one.