DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Own a Sony HDR-FX1 or HVR-Z1? here's a *hardware & software must have list* (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/36107-own-sony-hdr-fx1-hvr-z1-heres-hardware-software-must-have-list.html)

John Gaspain December 8th, 2004 03:19 PM

:) Just ordered a HDR-FX1 from B&H Photo today, what else do I need?

* FX1/Z1 Must have list. *

Please add to this list or suggest changes, I will edit this post to include your submissions. I want this post to be a "one stop shopping" list that people can use.

1. capture utility, (Aspect HD for Premiere or Connect HD for Vegas 5 or Lumiere HD for FCP)
2. Good solid tripod
3. Quality Sony Tape
4. Editing PC: +3Ghz CPU, +1gb ram
5. DV cleaning tape
6. LCD (PDA Type) plastic screen protectors (Fellowes Writeright®)
7. HDV capable NLE (Vegas 5, Canopus EDIUS NX HDV, etc- list coming)
8. HDTV or HD monitor capable of at least 720p playback, and the larger the better.
9. Decent speakers and sound system - preferably 5.1, because when you see how good the video is you'll want the sound quality to match!!!
10. Lots of Hard Drive space - It's easy to chew up 40Gig on a project of 60min duration.
11. Firewire/IEEE 1394/I-link pci card or onboard interface and cable
12. Matte box and/or filter holders (not available yet)
13. Filters, particularly graduated NDs and polarized screens
14. Location portable HD monitor
15. Shooting support bag (DIY made)
16. good top light such as Sony HVL-20DW2
17. good lighting system because HDV looks more like video than DV. The solution, lighting.
18?
19?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
original post:

Well I got rid of my Pana DV953 on ebay a few weeks ago, and am now waiting for UPS to deliver my new FX1!

It should be here in a 3-5 days, what should I get in the meantime?

I plan on using Vegas to edit...but also have Premier Pro 1.5 and old 7.0. I just like Vegas though.

Also have I have a fresh 160gb HD waiting to be filled up too, is that enough?

Is there any hardware or software necessities that you can think of that I might need?

I cant wait to put up some test footage!

Sorry for being short- im typing in a hurry.

John

Chris Hurd December 8th, 2004 09:57 PM

This isn't a bad question, John. We should explore a "must have" list for the FX1. Got a decent tripod already?

Steve Crisdale December 9th, 2004 12:42 AM

Re: Own or buying a Sony HDR-FX1 or HVR-Z1? here's a *hardware & software must have l

8?. HDTV or monitor capable of at least 720p playback, and the larger the better.

9. Decent speakers and sound system - preferably 5.1, because when you see how good the video is you'll want the sound quality to match!!!

10. Even more Hard Drive space - I've had to try and clean up my 240Gig RAID as I was getting dangerously low on space!! It's easy to chew up 40Gig on a project of 60min duration.

Carlos E. Martinez December 9th, 2004 05:43 AM

Re: Own or buying a Sony HDR-FX1 or HVR-Z1? here's a *hardware & software must have list*

12) Matte box and/or filter holders

13) Filters, particularly graduated NDs and pola screens

14) Location portable monitor

15) Shooting support bag (DIY made)

John Jay December 9th, 2004 09:32 AM

a good top light is mandatory if you are shooting indoors such as Sony HVL-20DW2, which can be operated in 16:9 landscape mode with a suitable light grip (dont run it this way for more than about 15 min at a time with a 15 min cooling period in between)

also the onboard mic picks up the zoom noise, maybe someone will invent a baffle which can be attached under the mic to reduce the pickup noise

Bill Ravens December 9th, 2004 09:48 AM

...and the list goes on

HDV looks more like video than DV. The solution, lighting, lighting, lighting.

Tim Brown December 9th, 2004 10:46 AM

Unfortunately Carlos, I don't believe anyone has found a working matte box solution for the FX-1 due to the placement of the mic.

If anyone has found a working solution I'd like to know.

-Tim

Steven Fokkinga December 9th, 2004 12:17 PM

Can you easily dismantle the mic if you're not gonna use it anyway (use a boom) and you want a mattebox?

Carlos E. Martinez December 9th, 2004 03:49 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Brown : Unfortunately Carlos, I don't believe anyone has found a working matte box solution for the FX-1 due to the placement of the mic.

If anyone has found a working solution I'd like to know.
-->>>

If you are going to use your picked audio, that mic is worthless for quality sound. If you still want an on-camera mic, you should position it higher and to the right or left, according to the cleaner directionality. It should be used a proper suspension and windshield, and probably a much better mic.

Now that some doubts about the MPEG audio quality seem to be away, what mic to use is a problem when you want to record your audio on the HDV tape.

What I wonder is if someone has tried something like a Cavision or Chrosziel as a matte-box on the FX1. The ones for the PD170 should fit the HDV.

Carlos

Tim Brown December 9th, 2004 04:27 PM

I'm referring to the physical positioning of the camera mic inhibits full use of a matte box, i.e., for rotating and sliding grads, etc.

I asked the mattebox question on this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=35874

Darren Kelly December 10th, 2004 12:17 AM

I'm going to say the must have NLE is the Canopus right now. It kicks butt and takes names.

I'll also say buy a real HD CRT monitor for editing. I'll point you to Ikegami who sell their demos for good deals.

DBK

Bas Ladru January 17th, 2005 07:47 AM

Dear all,

The mic cannot be removed.

The Century / Vocas mattebox works on this camera, also in combination with a wide angle converter.

Rehards,

Bas Ladru
Vocas (manufacturer of Century matteboxes)