motion blur on the hdr-fx1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 17th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Major Player

motion blur on the hdr-fx1

i went out and shot some surfing footage today down in huntington beach, ca. when i got home to cature the footage i realized that there was a ton of motion blur is there anyway to reduce this? maybe my settings were wrong?

these are the setting i used

f4.0 - 5.4 ND1 - ND2
1/60th
60i
no gain

any help?

thanks

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, generally speaking, the higher the shutter speed, the less blur--too high though and you'll cause stobing. I usually use 1/125th for chroma stuff to cut down on blur when the subject's moving. You might want to give it a try--I don't think that's too stroby...
Old December 17th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Major Player

ok so its the shutter speed. i'll try it thanks a mill!!!!
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:45 AM   #4
Major Player

well i tried shooting at many different shutter speeds but i still get motion blur when i am panning. its ok if i don't have to be to tight but if i am tight and have to pan to keep a surfer in the shot, i get a loss of detail and blur.

i surely don't get type of motion blurring with my Canon GL2.
is there any settings that i can change on the HDR-FX1?

thanks,

joel
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Joel, a lot of that is due to the limitations of the HDV format. Whenever you have very fast movement you will loose res and get a blurry image.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:02 AM   #6
Trustee

Joel,

Just to elaborate on Aarons comment. The HDV format's compression scheme compares frames to maximize the use of it's rather slim data rate. When panning every single pixel of every frame changes, thus the camera must lower the resolution to avoid a train wreck...as the data stream during a pan would surely outpace the max data rate of HDV.

In my eye, this is the single issue that hold's me back from this class of camcorder. My guess is we'll get used to it..just like we got used to the anomalies of DV and progressive scan in days of old.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:19 AM   #7
Membership Suspended

Howevers, when the camera is mainly stationery or on a tripod, the image quality far exceeding that of DV, simply cuz more info bits can be give to the I frames of the GOP stream. That everyone know.

Thusly, you simply dont get artifacts (mosquito, rolling jaggies, blocks) when the scene is very very complex, but would be a mess with DCT-based DV compression. In additions, plus you never will get the type of blocky colors you get with DV.

Having seen high-motion HDV videos, I can say the mpeg2 compressions of HDV is very good (at least Sony implementation is excelllent).

In the near futures, Sony will likely update their MPEG2 encoder for ever better quality and speed.

HDV is much more suited for classic films productions styles where each shot is blocked off. DV is more suited to amateur hour of handheld-type shooting styles.
Davi Dortas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:20 AM   #8
Membership Suspended

I jsut want to include that for preference, I prefer HDV compression over DV, as it is more efficient, so I have no qualmies about switching over to HDV.
Davi Dortas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1